Author Topic: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾  (Read 23971 times)

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2022, 08:25:48 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ
I like them.
Vasquez will take the place of Jason Castro, who is out for the year. He's a solid veteran who can hit a bit better than our current crop of catchers.
Mancini is the same, a solid veteran who can DH, Play left Field, and 1st Base. Hate to say it, I love Yuli Gurriel, but father time may have caught up with him.
Will Smith gives us a left-handed arm out of the bullpen, which we haven't had all year.
I agree with @catfish1957, that the new pitching coach learned well from Brent Strom, and that will bode well for Will Smith, (not to be confused with the fresh Prince of Bel-Air).

@GrouchoTex
Thanks. Another encouraging comment. I have to admit that it's a little strange to see all these new faces in Astros uniforms and wondering what team I'm looking at.

I hear what you're saying about Yuli, but I hope you're wrong. I hope it's a slump. I have no athletic skills, so I don't actually understand when players go from hot to cold. I find myself wondering if it's a mechanical thing or if it's the ability to read the pitch(er) that waxes and wanes that cause irregularities. Then I wonder if there's someone on the team who can spot the problem and point it out. Athleticism is something that confuses me because I can't relate.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2022, 08:30:40 pm »
@Bigun
Apologies for the ping. I'll try to remember that you're the one who has sworn off baseball, but I can't promise you won't get pinged by me again. First, y'all all look similar on the message board, and, second, I'm old. So if I hit you up again, just consider that my advanced age is causing me to slip up every now and again. And again. And again.

:beer: :beer: :patriot:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2022, 09:14:59 pm »
@GrouchoTex
Thanks. Another encouraging comment. I have to admit that it's a little strange to see all these new faces in Astros uniforms and wondering what team I'm looking at.

I hear what you're saying about Yuli, but I hope you're wrong. I hope it's a slump. I have no athletic skills, so I don't actually understand when players go from hot to cold. I find myself wondering if it's a mechanical thing or if it's the ability to read the pitch(er) that waxes and wanes that cause irregularities. Then I wonder if there's someone on the team who can spot the problem and point it out. Athleticism is something that confuses me because I can't relate.
@AllThatJazzZ
I hope I am wrong about Gurriel, but he went from being the American League batting champion last year to struggling, just hitting under .250, in one year.
His defense is solid still.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2022, 01:32:23 am »
The gutsiest play in all of baseball is stealing home.  After watching the video below, I was amazed to see this many attempts in recent history.

There have been three players born since the end of WWII (as far as I can tell) that have stolen home ten times or more.  Can anyone name them?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2022, 07:37:11 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXzzvJJrNWU

Last night, the Baltimore Orioles played 'HOST' to the Boston Red Sox, on a special major-league field in Williamsport, PA.

It was a special night attended by the Commissioner as well as broadcast crew of an ELEVEN-YEAR OLD and his FRiend.

They did interviews with ballplayers...the Commissioner.  It left the audience stunned at the quality of broadcast in the booth.

For example...now these are 11 year olds...LOL...a guy stands up at the plate and his shirtsleeve catches a 98mph fastball.

Takes 1st base and the kid says...DID YOU SEE THAT??  HE DIDN'T EVEN FLINCH!!    happy77

Later on they're talking to a player with dyed blond hair style, and the kid explains how he's "ROCKING IT, but he could never sport that!"

LOL!   I'm looking for some videos.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 07:38:19 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2022, 09:57:02 pm »
1 awards candidate for every team

MLB by Will Leitch 8/24/2022

https://www.mlb.com/news/awards-candidate-for-every-mlb-team-in-2022

Most of your big trophies handed out in the offseason are, by definition, individual trophies: MVP, Cy Young, Rookie of the Year, even Manager of the Year. But if you ever go visit a team museum, you'll see plenty of those trophies on display. When the player wins an award, in a way, the team does too.

With that in mind, let's look at each team's best candidate to take home one of those trophies this offseason. Some of these guys are favorites, some may just get some down-ballot love. It means something when one of your team's guys ends up on a finalist list for a trophy. It's something that they, and their team, will have forever.

All 'key stats' are entering Wednesday's games.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2022, 05:57:38 pm »
Yordan's 3-HR game punches Astros' 6th straight postseason ticket

https://www.mlb.com/news/yordan-alvarez-home-runs-vs-oakland

HOUSTON -- Any concerns about Yordan Alvarez’s hand ailment, which hampered the slugger over the past two months, went away as he bashed three homers in a game for the second time in his career. His 34th, 35th and 36th dingers of the season led the Astros to a 5-0 win over the A’s on Friday night at Minute Maid Park.

Houston clinched a playoff berth with the win, making it the sixth straight season the Astros will play meaningful October baseball. The Astros have much bigger aspirations, though, as they are looking to claim the top seed in the AL and make it back to the World Series for the fourth time in the past six years. To do so, they need their best hitters to continue trending up.

It is safe to say that Alvarez is back to his early-season form, as he went 4-for-4 with three solo homers and a 109.3 mph single.

“Yordan was unbelievable,” Astros manager Dusty Baker said. “The balls he hit had a lot of mileage to them. We needed it.”

The 6-foot-5 slugger was once in the American League MVP conversation for his strong start to the season, posting a 1.064 OPS with 21 homers and 51 RBIs in his first 61 games. Alvarez was named the AL Player of the Month in June, when he hit nine homers and 28 RBIs in 23 games, but he found himself in a slump the following two months due to a right hand ailment:

More at link.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2022, 12:17:26 am »
The gutsiest play in all of baseball is stealing home.  After watching the video below, I was amazed to see this many attempts in recent history.

There have been three players born since the end of WWII (as far as I can tell) that have stolen home ten times or more.  Can anyone name them?

@Hoodat

But it's a private video?  :shrug:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2022, 12:28:09 am »
@Hoodat

But it's a private video?  :shrug:

Where were you a month ago?  Here's another one.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2022, 04:13:06 pm »
Where were you a month ago?  Here's another one.

@Hoodat

Thanks! That was fun. Makes me sad that I didn't discover baseball sooner. What a fascinating game!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2022, 10:54:09 am »
I just wish going to the games was more like it was when I first started going to the games. Back when the Astros were the Colt 45s I got free tickets from school. Then when the Astrodome was built and they changed their name to the Astros, parking was $2.00 and Pavilion outfield tickets were 50 cents for 14 and under. On Ladies Nite it was 50 cents for the Ladies. We would take a picnic basket of food with us to the games and sometimes we'd go 3 times in a week.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2022, 02:57:05 pm »
I just wish going to the games was more like it was when I first started going to the games. Back when the Astros were the Colt 45s I got free tickets from school. Then when the Astrodome was built and they changed their name to the Astros, parking was $2.00 and Pavilion outfield tickets were 50 cents for 14 and under. On Ladies Nite it was 50 cents for the Ladies. We would take a picnic basket of food with us to the games and sometimes we'd go 3 times in a week.

@Elderberry

Sounds like great memories! You have a long history with our 'Stros (ahem, AL West Division winners 5 of the last 6 years). Were you faithful through the lean years?

Houston was so different back then. I went to one game at MMP. Took the bus which dropped me off right at the park. Still, it was a lot of trouble and a required a large chunk of time, unlike sitting on my couch. I felt irked that I couldn't see replays or even grab my remote and create my own replays. Most irksome was having to do my hair and makeup, not to mention being away from my dog for all that time.

I'm really glad I experienced a game in person, but at my advanced age, I'm opting for TV coverage. Besides, I enjoy the game MUCH more when TK and Blummer are in the booth. I feel like we're in the sweet spot of the Astros' golden era. I can't promise to pledge my loyalty in terms of investment of time if/when this era ends. I'm here as long as Altuve is. After that, who knows?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2022, 03:21:12 pm »
@Elderberry

Sounds like great memories! You have a long history with our 'Stros (ahem, AL West Division winners 5 of the last 6 years). Were you faithful through the lean years?

Houston was so different back then. I went to one game at MMP. Took the bus which dropped me off right at the park. Still, it was a lot of trouble and a required a large chunk of time, unlike sitting on my couch. I felt irked that I couldn't see replays or even grab my remote and create my own replays. Most irksome was having to do my hair and makeup, not to mention being away from my dog for all that time.

I'm really glad I experienced a game in person, but at my advanced age, I'm opting for TV coverage. Besides, I enjoy the game MUCH more when TK and Blummer are in the booth. I feel like we're in the sweet spot of the Astros' golden era. I can't promise to pledge my loyalty in terms of investment of time if/when this era ends. I'm here as long as Altuve is. After that, who knows?

Got to admit that after the cheating scandal, and the other shit the COB office has done to ruin the game, I am not the rabid fan I was before.  I lived , breathed, bled Astros baseball all the way back to 1965. I suffered through one true playoff in 15 years.  That is how bad and lean those years were.  I was so bad that I even saw every Nolan Ryan start at the dome in 1985, including his 4000th K.

Yeah, this present run feels pretty good, but this game has been tarnished beyond reproach.  I'll add another example in a subsequent post, which just adds credence that the MLB East Coast Cabal protects their own.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2022, 03:28:54 pm »
I have cut/pasted this post from a fellow member of a Baseball Forum I particpate in.   

"I stole this from Facebook. Could be complete BS or could be pretty interesting...

"A baseball buddy of mine has been talking about a MLB story from back in June, and has continued to talk about it. Once I looked at the timeline and difference I have to tell you that I'm convinced there is something to his theory.

On June 21, 2022, MLB issues a memo to all teams regarding the mudding of baseballs and use of the humidor. For those that aren't aware of the process... a baseball is very slick, so mudding is a technique that allows the pitcher to grip the ball. Using a humidor has been a practice at select ballparks, but this season MLB required all teams to use a humidor when preparing baseballs for games. It helps in preparing the moisture level of the baseball. I will post a link to the story below, but the bottom line is that a MLB investigation discovered that each team had a "different practice" of mudding baseballs and using a humidor. Some teams weren't using the humidors properly or consistently. Since this was a new rule MLB checked the process of every team after there was an increase of batters being hit by pitches, and an increase in errors by catchers and 3rd basemen. It was not "widely reported" but there are stories out there that some teams were using the humidor in a way that could potentially give their team an advantage. Using a humidor incorrectly can result in a lighter ball. A lighter ball is easier to throw at higher velocities. As a result MLB issued a memo providing ballclubs with a step by step process of the proper way of mudding a baseball, using a humidor, and even storing the baseballs until game day. This memo was dated June 21, 2022. Why is that date significant? Take a look at this:

June 21: New York Yankees 50 - 18
Sept 9: New York Yankees 83 - 55

The Yankees have gone 33 - 37 since the memo came out. During the first 68 games of the season the Yankees had allowed 3 runs per game. Over the next 70 games since the MLB memo was released the Yankees have allowed 3.9 runs per game. That's nearly 1 more run per game!

How have the Astros compared? The Astros were 42 - 25 when the memo came out. Since then they have gone 46 - 24. During their first 67 games they had allowed 3.4 runs per game. In the 70 games since they have allowed 3.1 per game. The Astros have been better, but essentially the same amount of runs allowed and their record has been very similar.

My question is... why is this not being reported? Why is this not being discussed? We know from the past that whether it's the use of PED's or stealing signs with a camera that the Yankees have been involved in some duplicitous practices, and then boast about how they stopped once MLB issued a memo. Maybe we will eventually find out if the baseball was a factor in the Yankees' early season success, but one thing we can't dispute... the numbers don't lie.""

If this was another team outside the cabal, there would be shouts and yells for the COB office to investigate. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2022, 03:29:59 pm »
I was a decent player in my youth. Until I was about age 35, I didn't know what to do with myself in the spring and summer unless I was on a baseball field. No one loved the game more than me back then. Now I wouldn't walk across the street to watch a pro game for free.

They have ruined our national pass time.

Edit to add that I also feel the same about hunting and fishing. Having to take your lawyer with you just flat out ruins it for me.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 03:32:50 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2022, 06:03:34 pm »

I remember getting mad when parking at the dome went from 1 dollar to 3 dollars!
It can be as high as 50 dollars now, depending on where you park.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2022, 06:06:27 pm »
I remember getting mad when parking at the dome went from 1 dollar to 3 dollars!
It can be as high as 50 dollars now, depending on where you park.

Plus fighting traffic downtown near Minute Maid is almost to enough to swear off the game by itself.

I missed the quick and ease of jumping on 610 to get home quickly.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2022, 07:43:52 pm »
Plus fighting traffic downtown near Minute Maid is almost to enough to swear off the game by itself.

610S made it easy. Though before 610S was put in it wasn't too bad.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2022, 03:27:11 am »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2022, 04:05:54 pm »

And when you want to exit off I-610, you simply exited off by driving across the grass to the access road.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2022, 09:25:57 pm »
MLB is changing the rules again:
Enforcing a pitch timer (good idea if implemented wisely - the games have slown to a crawl since the 1980s)
Increasing the size of the bases (kind of pointless, when you can just add a double bag at first - and this move will favor baserunners)
Limiting the number of throws to first (why?  fans boo reflexively, but guys get picked off, pitchers need to hold them close, and this is part of the game)
Banning the shift (horrible move - will take away defensive strategy, result in more dinky singles, lengthening the game)

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2022, 10:04:34 pm »
I have cut/pasted this post from a fellow member of a Baseball Forum I particpate in.   

"I stole this from Facebook. Could be complete BS or could be pretty interesting...

"A baseball buddy of mine has been talking about a MLB story from back in June, and has continued to talk about it.  .  .  .

Baseball Rule Book

3.01  The Ball

The ball shall be a sphere formed by yarn wound around a small core of cork, rubber or similar material, covered with two strips of white horsehide or cowhide, tightly stitched together. It shall weigh not less than five nor more than 5-1/4 ounces avoirdupois and measure not less than nine nor more than 9-1/4 inches in circumference.

No player shall intentionally discolor or damage the ball by rubbing it with soil, rosin, paraffin, licorice, sandpaper, emerypaper or other foreign substance.

According to the rules, you are dealing with a hysteresis of ¼ oz, or about 7g.  The purpose of the humidor is to add moisture (i.e. additional mass) to the ball.  As long as the weight does not exceed 5¼ oz, you should be OK.

Another trick (which is perfectly legal) is to rub your thumbnail along the seams in a forceful perpendicular fashion.  This will cause the seams to rise up, creating more curve on the trajectory (such as a rising fastball or a harder breaking curve).  Of course any batter seeing a pitcher do this will ask the umpire for a fresh ball.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2022, 02:43:13 am »
Aaron Judge hitting 61 HRs doesn't mean a thing to me...same as Barry Bonds' and Mark McGwire's HR totals.

THE BALL IS JUICED!! 

They've prostituted the Game in their quest to create offense.

Bullshit!   The most boring highlight on MLB is one of the ball leaving the yard.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2022, 02:48:29 am »
Aaron Judge hitting 61 HRs doesn't mean a thing to me...same as Barry Bonds' and Mark McGwire's HR totals.

THE BALL IS JUICED!! 

Are home run numbers up compared to previous years?  I would want to see some statistical evidence before I believe that baseballs are taking steroids.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2022, 02:32:59 pm »
I'm just going to leave this right here.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra