Author Topic: Postal Insanity!  (Read 847 times)

Offline mrclose

Postal Insanity!
« on: March 08, 2022, 03:29:37 am »
I don't purchase stamps often but when I have, I usually go to the post office to buy them.

Yesterday I found that I could buy them on line from the USPS site!
(Yeah, I Know!)

Well, that is what I did!

$11.60 for 20 forever stamps.

Nothing odd about that huh?

Now get this: I live dead center of two USPS centers.
One to the right of me, one to the ... You get the idea?
(Both are 1 and a half miles from my house)

These aren't just regular ole post offices but .. fully functional service centers!

Out of curiosity, today I went to check on the shipping status of the stamps and the reason they said that it would take 1-3 days to ship?

Now I know .. I Just Don't Know Why!?

I live in Virginia but the stamps are being shipped from Kansas City!!

1,067 miles from here!
Why, when I know full we'll that these stamps can be bought just over 1 mile from me?

Here's another question: If these stamps weren't being shipped with thousands of other postal items as I suspect, would these stamps be sent in the same manner?

Would they be driven here from Kansas by themselves, or flown first class by plane?

If the stamps are a single purchase, which they are .. it
seems to me that .. (unless they are really stupid or worse, don't care), they'd have no problem sending them from one of my postal centers ..1 and 1/2  miles from my home!

It'd be cheaper to give em to the mailman to deliver with the mail!?

But .. no-o-o, they go the money route!
Fuel or gas alone would be huge in the way they've done it compared to the $11.60 the stamps cost!

I see no sane reason for this but I think that I can see why the postal service screams poverty year in and year out!

/Rant
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Postal Insanity!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 12:55:47 pm »
I buy my stamps from the cashier at my local grocery store.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 01:22:02 pm »
I hear ya...generally, they've been pretty good, but this one seems like they're playing hot potato.

I've been waiting on a package...bottom to top shows the trip it's been on.  :shrug:

March 7, 2022, 11:53 am
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
BAKERSFIELD CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item departed our BAKERSFIELD CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on March 7, 2022 at 11:53 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

March 7, 2022, 7:40 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
BAKERSFIELD CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 7, 2022, 6:03 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SANTA CLARITA CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 7, 2022, 4:50 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 6, 2022, 11:42 pm
SANTA CLARITA CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 6, 2022, 11:24 am
LOS ANGELES CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 5, 2022
In Transit to Next Facility

March 4, 2022, 11:23 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
LOS ANGELES CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 01:50:47 pm »
I dropped a payment for the water bill in the mailbox next to the Post Office. It is half a block from the City building that takes care of public works payments. The payment went 500 miles, to Bismarck and back to get across that parking lot and the street. (That took 5 days). Now, I just put the payment in the dropbox on the city building...and save a stamp.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 01:55:27 pm »
I dropped a payment for the water bill in the mailbox next to the Post Office. It is half a block from the City building that takes care of public works payments. The payment went 500 miles, to Bismarck and back to get across that parking lot and the street. (That took 5 days). Now, I just put the payment in the dropbox on the city building...and save a stamp.

In my town there was a box at the P.O. strictly for "City" Mail.  But like you now all bail goes to a sorting hub miles away to only come back days later to be delivered in the city.   Nothing is ever as efficient when the government is involved

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 02:16:49 pm »
Expecting efficiency from a government bureaucracy is like seeking chastity in a whorehouse.

Imagine if you could renew your driver's license while visiting at the Mustang Ranch.

The fees would be lower, the lines would be shorter, and you might just leave with a smile on your face.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 02:19:08 pm »
Expecting efficiency from a government bureaucracy is like seeking chastity in a whorehouse.

Imagine if you could renew your driver's license while visiting at the Mustang Ranch.

The fees would be lower, the lines would be shorter, and you might just leave with a smile on your face.

I could get behind that!

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 02:27:14 pm »
I could get behind that!

I'll bet you would.  :beer:

And if they sold stamps at brothels, they'd even lick them for you.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 02:34:03 pm »
I'll bet you would.  :beer:

And if they sold stamps at brothels, they'd even lick them for you.

Great Idea for a tattoo  The forever stamp!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 03:22:00 pm »
This thread is certainly going downhill fast - I like it!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 03:32:14 pm »
We live about 6 miles from town. The water office is located along the road into town, about halfway.

If I mailed my payment, it would go from my town's post office to Pittsburgh (45 miles away), sit there a while, then be loaded on a truck that is coming back to my town, where the post office would put it on one of their trucks and drive it out to the water office on their way to delivering my mail.

Yes, I just use the drop box at the water office, too.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 03:43:43 pm »
They don't call it "going postal" for nothing.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline mrclose

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 07:33:27 pm »
@SZonian

That reminds me of an older post of mine!

If this were just a one time occurrence I wouldn't bother asking the question.

It isn't one time, it seems to be the normal way the shipping and postal services work!

My question is Why?

This package originated in NJ which is a little over 300 miles from my home.

It must have been driven right pass my home only to have to make a return trip back to where the package should have ended in the first place!

I have actually had packages and letter mails bounce around 2-3-4 or more states before it got to me!

I had one letter that originated in Richmond that took 5 days to get to me and it was ... Twenty odd miles from my home and no, this was long before the pandemic!
(It actually went as far as Nebraska from Florida before getting to me in Chesterfield, Va)

I can't figure it out!
This package was a quarter days drive from me and I'm told to expect it on Saturday??
(A Week From Origination) 8- )

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 07:34:29 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self