Author Topic: Dispatch From The Anti-CPAC  (Read 60 times)

Offline Kamaji

Dispatch From The Anti-CPAC
« on: March 06, 2022, 07:31:29 pm »
Dispatch From The Anti-CPAC

Principles First means if Americans can be Ukrainians, maybe they can be Americans, too, or something. It's an idea.

By Declan Leary
March 5, 2022

There are three easel whiteboards in the atrium of the National Press Club with “Principles First means…” written in dry-erase marker at the top, Post-it notes and ballpoint pens piled beside on little tables for every attendee to put his two cents in. A few catch my eye: NO TUCKER. / ED MUND BURKE. / NON-NEANDERTHAL conservatism.

As I read a nasal voice drones beside me: “I listen to Jooonah Goooldberg.” She quickly adds—maybe to parry a dirty look—how happy she is that he left Fox News.

Truth. / Peace. / Bipartisanship. / You have a compass in the fog. / Stop trumpism, save America. / Democracy.

It’s my sanity or the whiteboards, so I resolve to leave the latter behind. I catch bits of conversation as I pass: “I love to read National Review, even though I’ve always voted as a Democrat.” It’s not yet 9 on a Saturday morning but there’s not even any coffee. Promotional material for the summit boasted that it was only $35, while other conferences charge people hundreds to attend; I’m left wondering what the $35 was for.

Speaking of overpaying: “Do you know what Staples charge you for a color copy?” What? “A dollar!” I suspect this crowd wouldn’t dare to blame Joe Biden.

It is, on average, the oldest crowd I’ve seen in quite a while. I spot two young people—a man and a woman, though judging by his bouffant hair I don’t think they’re a couple. They’re sitting right in front of me, chatting with two older folks who’ve asked them where they’re from. The woman says she lives in Vegas. A lanyard around her neck suggests she works for the Las Vegas Sun. The guy is vague: “I live in the D.C. area.” The old folks are equally elusive: “Uhhh, we live in…Northern Virginia.” I think I know what that means.

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/dispatch-from-the-anti-cpac/