Author Topic: Why your swanky EV is more likely to break down than your banger  (Read 91 times)

rebewranger

Why your swanky EV is more likely to break down than your banger
MARCH 4, 2022
tags: Electric Cars
By Paul Homewood

We’ve all heard those nightmare stories of early adopters of electric vehicles (EVs) ending up stuck in the middle of nowhere, out of charge and with no access to a reliable charging point. Now, in a new survey by Which?, it seems that charging might be the least of their worries, as EVs were found to be the least reliable fuel type of all cars.

According to the report, they also spend longer off the road than other cars when they need repairs, as the most common faults are the more complex-to-fix software problems. All of which is bringing back rather painful memories of my own foray into being an EV driver.

The decision to buy an EV seemed like the logical one for my husband Neil and I back in 2019. Our ancient and battered Land Rover Discovery wouldn’t be compliant with the extended Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) in the capital, which came into effect in October 2021, so we wanted to offload that sooner rather than later. Also, our growing teenage twins no longer needed to be ferried to and from sports fixtures across the South East, team-mates and bags of kit in tow. Finally, we thought, we could downsize our car and upscale our commitment to the environment. And we could get something brand new and sexy to assuage any pending midlife crises, too.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/03/04/why-your-swanky-ev-is-more-likely-to-break-down-than-your-banger/