Author Topic: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sumac  (Read 1268 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sumac
« on: March 04, 2022, 01:47:00 am »
https://www.eater.com/2022/2/28/22947543/what-is-sumac-how-to-use-cooking-recipes

Sumac is the secret weapon in your spice cabinet: it has the power to bring incredible acidity to your food without adding extra liquid. It’s not bitter like lemon zest or astringent like vinegar, but somewhat fruity and floral without being noticeably sweet. Chances are, if you’ve had Middle Eastern or Mediterranean dishes like kebab or anything dusted with za’atar, you’ve tasted sumac’s wonderful tartness. It’s also a spice that goes well with just about anything, which is why so much of the world uses it. But for all of its popularity, sumac still hasn’t found a place in the average American’s spice arsenal — which is why there’s no better time to give it a closer look.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sumac
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 01:47:41 am »
Note:

Sumac grows just about everywhere where I live. There's usually plenty of sumac trees lining creek banks around here and I never knew they were edible, let alone a delicacy!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 01:51:22 am »
All I know about sumac is that it makes my skin itch.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 02:10:18 am »
I got a bottle of zaatar seasoning, but haven't exactly explored its full potential yet. I do like those middle eastern flavors.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 02:37:22 am »
Note:

Sumac grows just about everywhere where I live. There's usually plenty of sumac trees lining creek banks around here and I never knew they were edible, let alone a delicacy!

Yeah be really careful. Some sumac is extremely poisonous and will mess you up, especially if taken internally.
The Republic is lost.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 09:39:30 pm »
Yeah be really careful. Some sumac is extremely poisonous and will mess you up, especially if taken internally.

Sumac is a spice that is popular in the Middle East. It is related to the poisonous shrub by the same name, but the culinary variety is safe to use and easily identifiable by its vibrant red berries (poisonous sumac is white).

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 10:02:55 pm »
I love sumac because it will grow anywhere, but I'm still not going to ingest it.  Even the critters only eat the berries as a last resort.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 10:31:28 pm »
Sumac is a spice that is popular in the Middle East. It is related to the poisonous shrub by the same name, but the culinary variety is safe to use and easily identifiable by its vibrant red berries (poisonous sumac is white).

I don't believe it grows native here.
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2022, 12:01:50 am »
Yes, the sumac that grows where I live is the red stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm safe.