Author Topic: Iowa governor signs flat tax bill into law  (Read 2020 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Iowa governor signs flat tax bill into law
« on: March 01, 2022, 11:47:38 pm »

By DAVID PITT 49 minutes ago

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds on Tuesday signed into law a bill that phases in a 3.9% flat tax over four years, eliminates taxes on retirement income and lowers taxes for corporations at an estimated overall cost of about $2 billion in lower annual total state income when fully implemented.

Republicans pushed the bill through the House and Senate last week in one day, saying they were making historic changes to help Iowans and the state’s economy.

Reynolds signed the bill at LBS, a Des Moines manufacturer and distributor of materials for the production of books and luxury packaging. She was surrounded by Republican legislators and business leaders.

“With this bill, Iowa is now the fourth lowest for individual income tax rates in the nation,” Reynolds said. “There’s never been a better time in Iowa for bold, sustainable tax reform.”

Few Democrats supported the proposal, saying it offered little help for lower and middle class residents who could most benefit from more targeted tax cuts or enhanced government services.

more
https://apnews.com/article/state-of-the-union-address-business-iowa-kim-reynolds-des-moines-45161d72ab4d0e62f9bb81aa7b07a8cd
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Iowa governor signs flat tax bill into law
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 11:48:11 pm »
Paging @Bigun
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 02:51:23 am »
Been a long time coming.  Iowa has a difficulty attracting business because it's top tax rate is one of the highest in the country.

Although Iowa offers generous credits to avoid that, it was one of those things that turned businesses off up front and they often didn't look any farther.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 03:09:43 am »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 03:31:02 am »
Few Democrats supported the proposal, saying it offered little help for lower and middle class residents who could most benefit from more targeted tax cuts or enhanced government services.

It is inevitable that they will be proven oh so very wrong. Iowa will explode. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 09:13:47 am »
It is inevitable that they will be proven oh so very wrong. Iowa will explode. A rising tide lifts all boats.
When you consider the vast numbers of blue staters looking for a home, fleeing from high taxes (just one of the things they voted for, to fund the social machines they built in those places) Iowa will have an edge to attract some talent with lower and predictable tax rates. Perhaps capitalizing on that will lead to better things for the state. Not all those fleeing the Blue States are hopeless leftists,some just went there for the money, so hopefully, the people they attract will not take Iowa across that line to being a leftist state.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 01:59:07 pm »
More people looking to flee IL but stay in the midwest would be happy in Iowa.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 02:40:48 pm »
When you consider the vast numbers of blue staters looking for a home, fleeing from high taxes (just one of the things they voted for, to fund the social machines they built in those places) Iowa will have an edge to attract some talent with lower and predictable tax rates. Perhaps capitalizing on that will lead to better things for the state. Not all those fleeing the Blue States are hopeless leftists,some just went there for the money, so hopefully, the people they attract will not take Iowa across that line to being a leftist state.

Agreed, except the TRULY hopeless leftists are not the ones leaving Chicago. They'd still be there.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 02:43:16 pm »

As long as they are downstate IL!
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 02:44:27 pm »

I would probably prefer the Northwoods up in Wisconsin or go hang with the Yoopers... Nothing but CORN CORN CORN (Ooh! look! milo!) between the Mississippi and the Badlands.

Except Wall Drug.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 02:55:26 pm »
As long as they are downstate IL!
And the northwest.  Say from Freeport to Galena! 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 03:01:13 pm »
I would probably prefer the Northwoods up in Wisconsin or go hang with the Yoopers... Nothing but CORN CORN CORN (Ooh! look! milo!) between the Mississippi and the Badlands.

Except Wall Drug.

Well now we gotta plant beans sometimes, just to break up the scenery.

The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 03:03:53 pm »
Well now we gotta plant beans sometimes, just to break up the scenery.

Good Lord, I'd hope so...  :laugh: :beer:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 03:16:39 pm »
Good Lord, I'd hope so...  :laugh: :beer:

I know, Iowa has that reputation, fairly well earned. Most of the corn growing area is the north to northwest half and alot of it is pretty flat, and shoot-me-in-the-head boring.

Southern Iowa is a whole different bird. It gets downright backwoods around Centerville, Albia, and Ottumwa. Some corn country in the SE but otherwise very small town and alot of Amish as you go toward the MO border.

NE Iowa is nicknamed Little Switzerland. Big hills and thick woods, and streams full of trout.

Most people don't know that though, and I'm good with that. Keeps the California locusts away.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 03:31:08 pm »
The big money is in peas - a base ingredient of the industrially processed plant-based feaux meat slurry that is popular with Global Climate Change nitwits.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2022, 03:36:32 pm »

NE Iowa is nicknamed Little Switzerland. Big hills and thick woods, and streams full of trout.

Most people don't know that though, and I'm good with that. Keeps the California locusts away.

Your side of the Mississippi up there is beautiful.  Sometimes we would cross over at Dubuque or at Prairie du Chien and head north to MN. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2022, 03:38:25 pm »
I know, Iowa has that reputation, fairly well earned. Most of the corn growing area is the north to northwest half and alot of it is pretty flat, and shoot-me-in-the-head boring.

Hey... You ain't got to defend it. I am sure that there are folks who find sunset over the cornfields to be inspiring. Lots of good folks, probably. Just not me. I know how to use a compass, and I do carry one... But really I never use it. As a hillbilly I navigate by landmarks. So I set store by em. I can't function where there are none. And that is not much of an exaggeration when speaking of Iowa.

It takes mostly a day just to get out of Montana, and once you get past Bozeman heading east, it gets pretty dang boring. But it is still rolling, with some badlands and cattle... When you finally get past all that you figger out God was just easing you into what comes next.  :laugh:

Southern Iowa is a whole different bird. It gets downright backwoods around Centerville, Albia, and Ottumwa. Some corn country in the SE but otherwise very small town and alot of Amish as you go toward the MO border.

That's a bit better... I can bear Kansas - Again, rolling, with forest here and there... Draws and cuts with creeks and rivers...

Well... 'big hill' is probably a bit subjective.  :laugh:
But I hear ya.  :beer: :seeya:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2022, 04:34:47 pm »

By DAVID PITT 49 minutes ago

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds on Tuesday signed into law a bill that phases in a 3.9% flat tax over four years, eliminates taxes on retirement income and lowers taxes for corporations at an estimated overall cost of about $2 billion in lower annual total state income when fully implemented.

Republicans pushed the bill through the House and Senate last week in one day, saying they were making historic changes to help Iowans and the state’s economy.

Reynolds signed the bill at LBS, a Des Moines manufacturer and distributor of materials for the production of books and luxury packaging. She was surrounded by Republican legislators and business leaders.

“With this bill, Iowa is now the fourth lowest for individual income tax rates in the nation,” Reynolds said. “There’s never been a better time in Iowa for bold, sustainable tax reform.”

more
https://apnews.com/article/state-of-the-union-address-business-iowa-kim-reynolds-des-moines-45161d72ab4d0e62f9bb81aa7b07a8cd

Still an income tax (spit) but leaps and bounds better than what it was. @mystery-ak
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2022, 04:37:24 pm »

Well... 'big hill' is probably a bit subjective.  :laugh:
But I hear ya.  :beer: :seeya:

We calls em "Bluff's" out yonder.