Author Topic: Dow logs best day in over a year to end volatile week as angst over Russia’s Ukraine invasion gives  (Read 844 times)

Offline libertybele

Dow logs best day in over a year to end volatile week as angst over Russia’s Ukraine invasion gives way to buying

U.S. stock benchmarks, led by the Dow Jones Industrial Average, ended sharply higher Friday, as investors who were cautious about buying at the onset of the military clash in Eastern Europe turned eager to hunt down bargains.

The upbeat tone on the markets was tied, at least in part, to reports that Russia was in favor of talks with Ukrainian leadership. However, Moscow’s military force was on display as it pressed toward the capital of Ukraine.............

.............Friday afternoon, the White House said that the U.S. will join the European Union in directly sanctioning Russian President Vladimir Putin, along with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and members of the Russian national security team, over the invasion of Ukraine..........

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-s-stock-futures-fall-amid-ukraine-invasion-jitters-despite-late-rally-on-wall-street-11645752694?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Bottom line is it was short term oversold even if helped by the Russian invasion. This was just taking profits and equalizing.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Pretty conveniently ignored is it is still down over 1700 pts from 2 weeks ago.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Pretty conveniently ignored is it is still down over 1700 pts from 2 weeks ago.

Yup!  The market is still down by hundreds of points for the week.  The "best day" was not enough to overcome 3-4 really rotten days.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Market Watch is now on my list of slavish DCP publications.  Every article I've seen in recent months is just leftist spin and outright lies.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Market Watch is now on my list of slavish DCP publications.  Every article I've seen in recent months is just leftist spin and outright lies.
@Cyber Liberty

Try: Zero Hedge
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

A not-unexpected take from Fidelity Investments:
What does the Ukraine crisis mean for markets?
Investors should stay calm despite the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
 – 02/22/2022

Key takeaways
*The conflict between Russia and Ukraine may contribute to increased short-term market volatility.
*Disruption of Russian energy exports as a result of the conflict could temporarily contribute to rises in global energy prices.
*Professional management may help US investors better manage long-term international stock investing while managing the risks. ...

From an investment standpoint, the biggest impact will likely be negative market sentiment on Russian stocks, bonds, and currency. Hofschire says that a Russian military action against Ukraine also poses a relatively short-term risk to energy prices. "It could drive up prices of oil, natural gas, and other commodities at a time when inflation is already a problem." Higher oil and gas prices could further benefit North American energy companies, whose stocks have been among the best performers over the past year.

An increase in short-term stock market volatility is also likely. Says Hofschire, "A Russian military action likely adds to general market nervousness. Current stock market volatility is reflecting a variety of investor concerns, so another source of uncertainty and disruption won't help." However, Hofschire says additional inflation pressures and higher volatility by themselves won't cause a recession in the US.

Despite short-term geopolitical risks such as these, US investors should not lose sight of the long-term opportunities that international stocks may offer. Indeed, Hofschire's team expects international stocks to outperform US stocks over the next 20 years. Those expectations partly reflect the fact that US stocks have risen more than those of other countries over the past 2 years and US stock valuations are now high by historical standards. ...
More at Fidelity
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A not-unexpected take from Fidelity Investments:More at Fidelity
Did Fidelity also mention that Hunter and the Big Guy would now be dealing with Russia instead of Ukraine for their financial kickbacks?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:51:54 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DB

War... Just what the government needs to distract from their policies creating massive inflation and the crushing of the middle class... The excuse that covers all...

Offline libertybele

War... Just what the government needs to distract from their policies creating massive inflation and the crushing of the middle class... The excuse that covers all...

Truth.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
The ugly spectre of Stagflation is staring us down like the grim reaper.

When parsing any recent market data statisitically, don't forget to factor in  12-17% inlationary pressures.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.