Author Topic: Great Backyard Bird Count February 18-21 2022  (Read 354 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Great Backyard Bird Count February 18-21 2022
« on: February 19, 2022, 11:02:18 am »
Great Backyard Bird Count

The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) is a community science project in ornithology. It is conducted annually in mid February. The event is supported by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and the National Audubon Society. During this four-day event birdwatchers all around the world are invited to count and report details of birds in the area in which they live. Data is submitted online via a web interface, and compiled for use in scientific research.[1] The GBBC was the first community science project to collect bird sightings online and display results in near real-time.[2]

Overview   Edit

The GBBC was first launched in 1998 in USA. It is conducted around the second week of February.[3] Since 2013, the event has been observed by international bird watchers, and anyone can now participate in the event. Additional wildlife and conservation institutes around the world have also supported and participated.[4][5][6] A number of separate bird watch efforts have been coordinated so as to coincide with the GBBC.[7] In 2015 nearly half of known bird species worldwide were reported.[8]

Data collected during the event is subjected to verification by experts, in order to overcome potential shortcomings in the abilities of amateur participants.[9] Data resulting from the event has raised awareness about changes in population and habitats of common birds.[10]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Backyard_Bird_Count
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Great Backyard Bird Count February 18-21 2022
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 11:04:10 am »
https://www.birdcount.org/

This looks like a lot of fun, especially people who got into birding during COVID lockdowns.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 01:00:17 pm »
https://www.birdcount.org/

This looks like a lot of fun, especially people who got into birding during COVID lockdowns.

Thanks...

This was exactly my big morning coffee hobby during the height of the madness.  Three feeders, with all different mixes to cover all the diets of birds.  I'd take censuses, and document all the numbers.  Something quiet and peaceful, watching a bird light and feed. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 01:07:36 pm »
Herons and sand cranes down by the creek... and a big Baldy that takes his morning dump on one of my fence posts. He sits there a while, reading the paper, I guess... I have to go pressure wash that post all summer. Right now you can't hardly tell it's a post.

I have seed and suet out, but nothing ever comes around. I don't know if it's the eagle or the mess he leaves behind.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 01:12:23 pm »
We have two feeders that we watch from the kitchen window. We were all excited yesterday when we saw our first red-winged blackbird of the season. Even though the weather's been very cold and snowy, and spring is far off, we've seen a few robins.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 01:12:56 pm »
This was the highlight that March.....

Did not get a pic, but got a visit from a male Pyrrhulloxia. (below).  Strangely, this feller was about a 100 miles from his supposed (bird book) range.  Understand they are pretty common in south Texas, but this is the first one I had ever seen in my Piney Wood East Texas neighborhood.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 01:38:35 pm »
got a visit from a male Pyrrhulloxia
He looks like a female cardinal who's having a really bad day.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 01:45:51 pm »
He looks like a female cardinal who's having a really bad day.

I had to do a double take too, but those red markings on the beak instead black sealed it. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 02:58:49 pm »
We have two feeders that we watch from the kitchen window. We were all excited yesterday when we saw our first red-winged blackbird of the season. Even though the weather's been very cold and snowy, and spring is far off, we've seen a few robins.

We get the red-winged blackbirds here, during their migration back and forth to Mexico.  I remember them from my yout.  I always hear them before I see them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 03:26:40 pm »
I had a Mr and Mrs cardinal earlier today.

Now I have squirrels.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 03:41:14 pm »
I had a Mr and Mrs cardinal earlier today.

Now I have squirrels.

We have Antelope Squirrels.  They're very small, the size of chipmunks with large tails.  They love unshelled peanuts because the birds can't get at them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: