Author Topic: Biden misery index on rise as Americans pessimistic about country's future  (Read 709 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Biden misery index on rise as Americans pessimistic about country's future

Public concern over crime, inflation, other issues could spell trouble for Dems in November.
By Aaron Kliegman

Updated: February 16, 2022 - 9:25am

Americans are growing increasingly pessimistic about the current state and future of the country as the political phenomenon of misery takes hold, presenting problems for President Biden and Democrats ahead of this year's midterm elections.

As the national mood becomes gloomier under the Biden administration, a useful indicator for measuring economic pain has resurfaced after years of dormancy: the so-called misery index.

Created by the late economist Arthur Okun, the misery index became widely known in the 1970s and early 1980s during the presidencies of Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. It adds together two measures of economic pain — the unemployment rate and inflation for consumers — to give a sense of the economic distress felt by everyday Americans.

The index hit 11% in November and December and reached 11.5% last month — higher than any month in 2008 when the Great Recession began and just behind its highest levels in late 2009 and early 2010 when unemployment was around 10%. The current level is the highest in a decade, not including the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Economists don't consider the misery index a sophisticated metric but say it's a useful tool.

more
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/polling/biden-misery-index-rise-americans-pessimistic-about-countrys-future
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Biden misery index on rise as Americans pessimistic about country's future
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 05:51:51 pm »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 05:53:05 pm »
Shades of the Carter mailaise, except Pedo joe did it in half the time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 05:56:02 pm »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 07:20:03 pm »
Shades of the Carter mailaise, except Pedo joe did it in half the time.

And the Biden administration and Democrats claim that all is well and Joe Biden has over performed makes them tone deaf to problems facing average Americans

We already know what the Democrat Party plan is for dealing with inflation. Borrow, spend, and print more. The Republicans are doing a good job of complaining about it but surely they must have a plan to deal with inflation, right?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 09:12:32 pm »
I was at Sam's Club today and figured I'd better buy more toilet paper. Looks like we have enough now to get us through next year. I'm not sure how much stuff I can stock up on to avoid the inevitable Biden disaster - space is limited!  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 11:28:36 pm »
Title and presumption:
"Biden misery index on rise as Americans pessimistic about country's future"

45% of them will STILL vote for the democrat-communists this November.

No longer is it:
"It's the economy, stupid!"

It's now:
"It's the ideology, dummy..."

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 03:20:05 pm »

Someone told me yesterday about a seafood restaurant she and her husband recently patronized. Everyone had told them they had to try the crabcakes, they were fabulous. So they eagerly asked the server for crabcakes.

The server told them the restaurant was not serving crabcakes for the indefinite future, due to the increased price of crab. They simply could not afford to make them, knowing customers wouldn't pay the price the restaurant would have to charge just to cover the expense.

Try the flounder.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 08:13:34 pm »
DJIA and NASDAQ at 13 and 14 month lows respectively, while real inflatationary pressures are around 12-17% annually and trending highter.   Biden Stagflation starting to really rev up.

MSM?  Nothing to see here.  :thud:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 04:37:23 am »
Rising Misery index

Americans held in a Muslim country

Russia on the march

Gas prices on the rise

Inflation

Crime

All we need is another Star Wars movie and disco
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 08:51:38 am »
Rising Misery index

Oh the Humanity!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 10:17:51 am »
Rising Misery index

Americans held in a Muslim country

Russia on the march

Gas prices on the rise

Inflation

Crime

:thumbsup:

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2022, 03:39:54 pm »
DJIA and NASDAQ at 13 and 14 month lows respectively, while real inflatationary pressures are around 12-17% annually and trending highter.   Biden Stagflation starting to really rev up.

MSM?  Nothing to see here.  :thud:

The media are unable to bury it this time.  People can sense their standard of living slipping away, and they are talking to their friends.  Democrat losses are most acute with the black and hispanic survey respondents.  Many of the browns have seen this play out in their home countries, and want no part of it.  So, if the GOP is competent, they could make permanent inroads.