Author Topic: Retail sales jumped 3.8 percent in January, beating expectations  (Read 225 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Retail sales jumped 3.8 percent in January, beating expectations
« on: February 16, 2022, 03:51:34 pm »
Retail sales jumped 3.8 percent in January, beating expectations
By Sylvan Lane - 02/16/22 10:42 AM EST

Retail sales rose 3.8 percent in January, according to data released Wednesday by the Census Bureau, far higher than economists had expected.

Retailers and restaurants made a seasonally adjusted total of $649.8 billion in sales last month, up from a revised total of $626.3 billion in December. Economists expected retail sales to rise 2.1 percent in January after falling 2.5 percent in the final month of 2021.

“US consumers have obviously shrugged off concerns about empty shelves and surging coronavirus cases, as revealed by today’s exceptionally strong retail sales figures,” wrote Matthew Sherwood, global economist at the Economist Intelligence Unit, in a Wednesday analysis.

“As in the case of the recent jobs numbers, the Omicron variant of covid-19 has barely registered an impact, at least in terms of employment and retail spending,” he continued.

Economists had expected the record-breaking surge of COVID-19 cases driven by the omicron variant to wipe out January job growth and weigh heavily on retail sales. But consumers powered through the resurgent pandemic and high inflation, even as consumer prices rose 0.6 percent in January, according to Labor Department data released last week.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/594507-retail-sales-jumped-38-percent-in-january-beating-expectations
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Retail sales jumped 3.8 percent in January, beating expectations
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 04:14:09 pm »
Very misleading, as a big share, maybe half  of that was Bidenflation.  Coupled with the other half being ecomomic improvement as the pandemic is ending (despite dimocratic stupidity).

Beleive me, this is despite Biden's intentional attempt to destroy our economy.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 04:19:01 pm »
Sales increase still less than the inflation rate.  People bought less stuff, but at higher prices.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 04:21:53 pm »
Very misleading, as a big share, maybe half  of that was Bidenflation.  Coupled with the other half being ecomomic improvement as the pandemic is ending (despite dimocratic stupidity).

Beleive me, this is despite Biden's intentional attempt to destroy our economy.

Sales increase still less than the inflation rate.  People bought less stuff, but at higher prices.

Exactly, on both points!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 04:23:05 pm »

Was that month to month or annualized?  If it was annualized you are right.  And significant differential negatively.

I think it was reported month to month, but I might be wrong.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.