Author Topic: She Struggled With Alcohol Abuse. Now This Sailor Wants to End the Stigma of Seeking Help.  (Read 127 times)

rangerrebew

She Struggled With Alcohol Abuse. Now This Sailor Wants to End the Stigma of Seeking Help.
February 2, 2022| Theresa Carpenter

When I became an officer, I dreamed of telling the Navy’s story aboard an aircraft carrier. In July 2017, I was at the pinnacle of my public affairs naval career. I was in charge of a media department, working along with 25 sailors aboard an aircraft carrier, one of the Navy’s largest vessels. My unit took part in an international exercise in India, and I planned and executed the communication campaign—the largest event I had managed in a decade.

The exercise had received international press attention, and even the then-president of the United States, Donald Trump, was talking about it. On the evening of the opening day of the exercise, I attended a cocktail reception on an Indian Navy warship along with diplomats from the State Department, commanding officers from all the navies involved, and many other high-ranking military officers.

The evening should have been one of the most memorable and enjoyable evenings of my 25-year military career. Instead, I nearly destroyed it because I couldn’t control my drinking.

https://thewarhorse.org/alcohol-abuse-inspired-effort-to-help-end-military-stigma/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:57:41 pm by rangerrebew »