Author Topic: Documents reveal U.S. military’s frustration with White House, diplomats over Afghanistan evacuation  (Read 151 times)

rangerrebew

Documents reveal U.S. military’s frustration with White House, diplomats over Afghanistan evacuation

By Dan Lamothe
and
Alex Horton

Yesterday at 5:00 a.m. EST|Updated yesterday at 10:25 p.m. EST

Senior White House and State Department officials failed to grasp the Taliban’s steady advance on Afghanistan’s capital and resisted efforts by U.S. military leaders to prepare the evacuation of embassy personnel and Afghan allies weeks before Kabul’s fall, placing American troops ordered to carry out the withdrawal in greater danger, according to sworn testimony from multiple commanders involved in the operation.

An Army investigative report, numbering 2,000 pages and released to The Washington Post through a Freedom of Information Act request, details the life-or-death decisions made daily by U.S. soldiers and Marines sent to secure Hamid Karzai International Airport as thousands converged on the airfield in a frantic bid to escape.

Beyond the bleak, blunt assessments of top military commanders, the documents contain previously unreported disclosures about the violence American personnel experienced, including one exchange of gunfire that left two Taliban fighters dead after they allegedly menaced a group of U.S. Marines and Afghan civilians. In a separate incident a few days later, U.S. troops killed a member of an elite Afghan strike unit that had joined the operation and wounded six others after they fired on the Americans.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/02/08/afghanistan-evacuation-investigation/

rangerrebew

Since this is reported by WaPo, there must be something significant behind it. :pondering:

Online DefiantMassRINO

State Department was derelict.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
State Department was derelict.

As usual!

Those striped pants bastards have more blood on their hands than anyone can imagine!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

As usual!

Those striped pants bastards have more blood on their hands than anyone can imagine!

Thinking of the above, I don't think anyone has come close to Neville (Peace in Our Times) Chamberlain for excess bloodshed, though Biden is certainly working hard to top him. 10631