Author Topic: When It Comes To China’s Human Rights Abuses, US Athletes Should Ignore Pelosi’s Orders To Shut Up A  (Read 54 times)

Offline Kamaji

When It Comes To China’s Human Rights Abuses, US Athletes Should Ignore Pelosi’s Orders To Shut Up And Play Ball

Telling athletes to be scared of China’s power is exactly what the communist government wants to hear.

By Jordan Boyd
February 4, 2022

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi instructed U.S. Olympic athletes this week to shut up and play ball instead of criticizing communist China’s track record of human rights abuses at the 2022 Beijing games, but her urgings are misdirected.

“I would say to athletes, you’re there to compete. Do not risk incurring the anger of the Chinese government because they are ruthless,” Pelosi said. “I know there is a temptation on the part of some to speak out while they are there. I respect that. But I also worry about what the Chinese government might do to their reputations, to their families.”

The Democrat insisted that the United States as a whole has a moral obligation to condemn China’s ways, saying, “If we do not speak out against human rights violations in China, because of commercial interests, we lose all moral authority to speak out against human rights violations anywhere.” But she said the Olympics is not the time for vulnerable athletes to do that.

Pelosi justified her comments as an attempt to steer U.S. citizens away from harm and retaliation. Unfortunately, she simply gave the communist regime more reasons to see U.S. officials as weak and unwilling to act.

Telling athletes to be scared of China’s power is exactly what the communist government wants to hear. The CCP has repeatedly denied that it is committing genocide against the Uyghurs despite much evidence to the contrary. More recently, communist China conveniently disappeared Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai.

Source:  https://thefederalist.com/2022/02/04/when-it-comes-to-chinas-human-rights-abuses-us-athletes-should-ignore-pelosis-orders-to-shut-up-and-play-ball/