Author Topic: Pelosi warns US Olympians not to speak out against Chinese abuses while in Beijing  (Read 567 times)

Online mountaineer

Pelosi warns US Olympians not to speak out against Chinese abuses while in Beijing
 by Jerry Dunleavy, Justice Department Reporter
 February 03, 2022 03:30 PM

Nancy Pelosi urged U.S. Olympic athletes not to speak out against the Chinese Communist Party’s human rights abuses while in Beijing, saying the athletes shouldn’t risk “incurring the anger” of the “ruthless” CCP.

The House speaker made the comments during a Thursday testimony before the Congressional-Executive Commission on China, in which she condemned the Chinese government, criticized the International Olympic Committee for making China the host country, and touted the Biden administration’s diplomatic boycott of the Winter Games.

“Make no mistake — our athletes should participate,” Pelosi said. “They’ve trained, they’re disciplined, they’ve dreamed, they’ve aspired, they’ve worked hard. But this year we must celebrate them from home as they compete in China.”

But Pelosi also indicated that she believes U.S. athletes should keep quiet in China to avoid the Chinese government’s wrath.

“I would say to our athletes: You’re there to compete. Do not risk incurring the anger of the Chinese government because they are ruthless,” Pelosi said. “I know there is a temptation on the part of some to speak out while they are there. I respect that, but I also worry about what the Chinese government might do to their reputations and to their families.”  ... Washington Examiner
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Offline Kamaji

No, but they could virtue signal over fake racism in the West by taking a knee at the Tokyo Olympics.

What bullsh*t.  China is engaged in real abuses of real people right now, not some phony imagined systemic racism that only appear to affect left-wing blacks in the upper 10% of the income/wealth spectrum.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Dear Olympians,

Please don't upset the Communists.  We need them to buy our debt and sell us microchips.

Thank you,
The Wussy States of America

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Pelosi warns US athletes against angering 'ruthless' Chinese government during Olympics
By Olafimihan Oshin - 02/03/22 06:18 PM EST

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday warned U.S. athletes participating in the Beijing Winter Olympics not to risk angering a “ruthless” Chinese government, Reuters reported.

Speaking at a Congressional-Executive Commission on China hearing, Pelosi said the U.S. has an "urgent moral duty to shine a bright light” on China’s human rights abuses, including those toward the Uyghur ethnic minority in Xinjiang.

"Now the IOC, aided by corporate sponsors, once again turns a blind eye with the 2022 Winter Olympics just to bolster their bottom line," Pelosi said, referring to the International Olympic Committee.

"If we do not speak out against human rights violations in China, because of commercial interests, we lose all moral authority to speak out against human rights violations anywhere," she continued.

But Pelosi urged athletes to focus on competing in the games rather than speaking out.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/592768-pelosi-warns-us-athletes-against-angering-ruthless-chinese-government-during
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

If they are dumb enough to run their mouths off in China then they deserve what they get.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Have to agree with her on this one.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

"BREAKING: CCP agents pull Dutch reporter away on live TV in Beijing"  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1489604289743966217

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Raheem J. Kassam
@RaheemKassam

Never did I think I would see a Speaker of the House of Representatives demand the silence and fealty of her own people in the face of a Communist regime.

7:54 PM · Feb 3, 2022   Twitter Web App

Offline Kamaji

Raheem J. Kassam
@RaheemKassam

Never did I think I would see a Speaker of the House of Representatives demand the silence and fealty of her own people in the face of a Communist regime.

7:54 PM · Feb 3, 2022   Twitter Web App

Exactly

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Behar: Pelosi Warning U.S. Athletes Not to Protest China Because ‘She Cares About the Kids’

Joy Behar told her co-hosts Friday on ABC’s “The View” that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was right for warning U.S. athletes not to speak out against China’s human rights abuses during the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/02/04/behar-pelosi-warning-u-s-athletes-not-to-protest-china-because-she-cares-about-the-kids/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ana Navarro: Pelosi Warning U.S. Athletes Not to Protest China Is ‘So Un-American’

Pam Key4 Feb 20222
1:28

Ana Navarro told her co-hosts Friday on ABC’s “The View” that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) was wrong for warning U.S. athletes not to speak out against China’s human rights abuses during the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.

Thursday, Pelosi said, “I would say to our athletes, you’re there to compete. Do not risk incurring the anger of the Chinese government because they are ruthless. I know there is the temptation on the part of some to speak out while they are there. I respect that. But I also worry about what the Chinese government might do to their reputations, to their families.”

Navarro said, “I don’t like this at all. I don’t like that at all.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/02/04/ana-navarro-pelosi-warning-u-s-athletes-not-to-protest-china-is-so-un-american/
Support the USO

Online mountaineer

Offline Kamaji

That is the stone-cold sober truth of the matter.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mikezpen

She may be right on this. Speaking out could get some kid locked up in China, and god knows when we'd get that person back.

Offline Killer Clouds

These athletes need to keep their mouths shut and compete. They are in a communist country that does what it wants. If they run their mouth with woke garbage they could end up as permanent residents of China. Then they'll find out how well their woke crap works out. Remember Otto Warmbier?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 05:57:56 pm by Killer Clouds »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

This is what the Communists did to Tom Tuttle from Tacoma ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qLzQ4uOvio

Online mountaineer

A rare moment of free speech at a liberal university.
U.S university reverses decision to remove Olympic protest posters
Bethany Allen-Ebrahimian
Feb. 7, 2022

The president of George Washington University in DC has reversed his earlier decision to remove campus posters protesting the Beijing Olympics, which Chinese student groups had said "incited racial hatred and ethnic tensions."

The big picture: Universities in the U.S., Australia, and elsewhere are navigating how to protect Chinese students from rising anti-Asian hate crimes, while protecting speech and art that criticizes Chinese government oppression from censorship by some Chinese students on campus who view that criticism as racist.

*Chinese international student groups sometimes use the language of social justice to silence criticism of the Chinese government's human rights record.
    *The incident also highlights the fears among Uyghur, Tibetan, Hong Kong, and pro-democracy Chinese students in the U.S. that they can't exercise their right to free speech.
    *"Some Chinese students in the U.S. often don't realize that it's possible to be both victim and oppressor at the same time," Maya Wang, senior China analyst at Human Rights Watch, told Axios.

Details: In early February, posters protesting the Beijing Olympics were posted in several locations on the George Washington University campus, according to a student group statement and photos posted to Twitter.

*The posters show athletes wearing uniforms bearing the Chinese flag pointing a rifle at a bound and gagged Uyghur; pinning down a Tibetan; skating over a Hong Kong flag; riding atop a surveillance camera doubling as a snowboard; and pushing a virus across the ice. ...

*"Upon full understanding, I do not view these posters as racist; they are political statements. There is no university investigation underway, and the university will not take any action against the students who displayed the posters," Wrighton said.  ...
Full story at Axios

Offline berdie

She may be right on this. Speaking out could get some kid locked up in China, and god knows when we'd get that person back.

I agree with you. Whatever Nan's motivation is, this is a very real concern. All the athletes are there to compete. When they get to their home countries they can stand up...but not there.

Why the Olympics are being held there in the first place is ridiculous. Maybe they can hold the Summer Olympics  in North Korea. /s

Edit-I don't recall this being an issue the first time the games were held there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:01:33 pm by berdie »