Author Topic: Brad Pitt-Backed Green Housing Complex Is A Disaster; Residents Suing  (Read 322 times)

rangerrebew

Written by Madeline Dovi on Feb 1, 2022. Posted in Latest news
Brad Pitt-Backed Green Housing Complex Is A Disaster; Residents Suing

make it right green homeThe Make it Right Foundation, the Brad Pitt-backed non-profit that built more than 100 homes for New Orleans residents displaced in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, currently faces legal action due to structural defects, insect infestations, and other construction issues.

At least six properties sit abandoned, and two were demolished just seven years after being built due to mold issues, according to Insider.

Residents of Louisiana’s 9th Ward filed a class-action lawsuit against Make It Right, referred to in the suit simply as “The Foundation,” in 2018 for allegedly selling them “defectively and improperly constructed homes.”

Make It Right was launched in 2007 with the goal of “providing high-quality, energy-efficient housing to families in need,” and “assist in the sustainable redevelopment of New Orleans,” according to the suit.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/brad-pitt-backed-green-housing-complex-is-a-disaster-residents-suing/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Brad Pitt-Backed Green Housing Complex Is A Disaster; Residents Suing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 04:24:22 pm »
So typical.

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 04:31:39 pm »
Anyone old enough to remember when Jack Jones and Jill St. John were married, the standard joke was about  their big fights were about who got to use the bathroom mirrors.  I imagine the same is true here.  Pitt is probably too busy admiring himself to be bothered by the problems. :whistle:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 04:48:27 pm »
A web of legal turmoil

When Make It Right failed to provide the assistance residents requested, several homeowners filed lawsuits. This litigation is reportedly still pending.

Some residents also blame local authorities.

“We also have an issue with the city, because those who inspect (the home) and are supposed to keep it safe, did not,” said Claire, who tried to get New Orleans’ safety and permits department involved.

My many efforts to reach out to Make It Right by mail, email and visits in person remain unsuccessful. When I went to its New Orleans office in December 2021, I encountered no staff. Instead, I witnessed a moving crew that had been hired by the organization to move its furniture and other property into storage.

The organization has apparently failed to file a 990 form, annual paperwork the Internal Revenue Service requires of all nonprofits, covering any year since 2018. Local media have reported that a bank is suing it.

Its website has become defunct and the phone number it included in its 2018 IRS paperwork no longer works. Even the person who mows the vacant Make It Right properties has told reporters that the nonprofit owes him money. Make It Right, in turn, is suing several former executives and its chief architect for alleged mismanagement.

More:  https://www.marketwatch.com/story/brad-pitt-wanted-to-help-new-orleans-recover-from-hurricane-katrina-but-those-affordable-homes-turned-into-another-disaster-11643658460

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 04:50:45 pm »
So typical.

I think the architects and the City approving the construction plans share the majority responsibility/blame for this fiasco.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 05:04:36 pm »
I think the architects and the City approving the construction plans share the majority responsibility/blame for this fiasco.

Yes, I agree that everyone who put a finger in the pie bears a share of responsibility.