Author Topic: New York City Bans Natural Gas Hook-ups in Most New Buildings  (Read 588 times)

rangerrebew

New York City Bans Natural Gas Hook-ups in Most New Buildings
« on: February 02, 2022, 03:50:15 pm »
New York City Bans Natural Gas Hook-ups in Most New Buildings
Bonner R Cohen
January 31, 2022

Taking a step they claimed will help achieve the goal of “carbon neutrality” by 2050, the vast majority of the members of the New York City Council voted to ban the use of natural gas in new buildings.

Outgoing Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the December 15 measure into law before leaving office at the end of the year.

Ban with Exceptions

Specifically, New York City’s ordinance prohibits the use of oil or natural gas-powered stoves, space heaters, and water boilers in new buildings. The new law applies to buildings under seven stories high built after 2023 and to structures taller than seven stories erected after July 1, 2027.

https://heartlanddailynews.com/2022/01/new-york-city-bans-natural-gas-hook-ups-in-most-new-buildings/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 03:51:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Kamaji

Re: New York City Bans Natural Gas Hook-ups in Most New Buildings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 03:54:03 pm »
So, all those new residential kitchens will be using electric stoves rather than gas stoves.

Since gas is more efficient than electric for cooking, this simply translates into a great waste of additional scarce energy resources:  https://www.albertlee.biz/blog/gas-vs-electric-cooking-options

Where do they think all of the additional energy production is going to come from?  I don't see too many windmills sprouting up in the 5 boros, nor that many solar plants, either.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 02:14:38 am »
Am all for it, as long as no federal subsidies are involved in this.

A state has the option to destroy their economy if it wishes.

And this will do it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 08:59:20 am »
I can't even begin to imagine what the electric bills will be in NYC during the winter once they have to start heating and cooking with electricity.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 03:05:51 am »
I can't even begin to imagine what the electric bills will be in NYC during the winter once they have to start heating and cooking with electricity.
Since the grid will be well overloaded, likely there will be so many blackout days from power overload that the bills may not be all that much higher.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 03:23:36 am »
Since the grid will be well overloaded, likely there will be so many blackout days from power overload that the bills may not be all that much higher.

@IsailedawayfromFR

And none of that is even addressing all the apartment building fires that began due to  overloaded wiring and fuse boxes.

You KNOW some damn fool in pretty much every "partmint bilding" is going to eventually tire of tripped circuit breakers and keep them "cooking" using copper under them.

Gee,I wonder what happens then ?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!