Author Topic: DOOMSDAY MACHINE How giving AI bots control over nuclear weapons could spark World War 3 and ‘kill u  (Read 274 times)

rangerrebew

NewsUS News

DOOMSDAY MACHINE How giving AI bots control over nuclear weapons could spark World War 3 and ‘kill us all’

Anthony Blair

14:04 ET, Feb 1 2022Updated: 21:00 ET, Feb 1 2022

GIVING artificial intelligence control over nuclear weapons could trigger an apocalyptic conflict, a leading expert has warned.

As AI takes a greater role in the control of devastating weaponry, so the chances of technology making a mistake and sparking World War 3 increase.

These include the USA's B-21 nuclear bomber, China's AI hypersonic missiles, and Russia's Poseidon nuclear drone.

Writing for the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, expert Zachary Kellenborn, a Policy Fellow at the Schar School of Policy and Government, warned: "If artificial intelligences controlled nuclear weapons, all of us could be dead."

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4589931/world-war-3-ai-nuclear-weapon-control-russia-china/
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 11:09:16 am by rangerrebew »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
If ya think that's bad, consider who's "in control" of America's nuclear weapons RIGHT NOW...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
There is a sci-fi show called 'The 100' based on a world 100 years after a nuclear holocaust that occurred in 2060. Most information has been lost so no one really knows what happened.

In the second or third season, it's revealed in a flashback that what happened is that an AI that a scientist was using to solve resource shortages came to the conclusion that the only solution was to drastically reduce the population.

It then proceeded to break thru all firewalls and launch the world's nuclear arsenal. I thought 'dang, that is a scary and very possible scenario if AI reaches that point.'

I really don't think we realize just how badly AI could play out if it takes over, especially considering all the other frankenstein tech that's out there.

Add: After posting this I remembered a relative was friends with a pair of brothers who were insanely smart. The older brother in particular, now long dead, he was old school genius along the lines of Einstein, Tesla, or Von Braun. MIT grad I'm pretty sure, can't recall the field specifically he ended up in other than it was engineering related.

I was big into computers in the early 80's. Particularly after 'Wargames' with Matthew Broderick, AI was big. Due to the limitations of the time, and the current thinking, it was pretty much a failure.

So he and a colleague decided then to build and AI that worked. These guys went after it differently. They wrote the code and the algorithms to make it think and learn like a human rather than a computer. It worked. They programmed it to learn and interact and it rapidly grew and evolved within the tech barriers of the day. I imagine they parked it on whatever mainframe they had access to.

All was good at first, but over time as it's 'personality' grew, it became more demanding, narcissistic, megalomaniacal, and at the end downright psychopathic. They had to pull the plug. Thankfully this was long before the internet, parallel networking or the processing power of today.

This is not the first I've heard of read of that happening. I really hope they don't create and set loose something like that today. It really could make something like 'Terminator' come to life.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 11:58:23 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.