Author Topic: Why the Upcoming SCOTUS Confirmation Battle May Be Relatively Tame.. Guy Benson  (Read 177 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Analysis: Why the Upcoming SCOTUS Confirmation Battle May Be Relatively Tame
Guy Benson

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 10:25 AM

When the news broke yesterday of Justice Breyer's intention to retire from the Supreme Court after this term -- a decision that was apparently leaked prematurely -- my phone started blowing up.  Friends and colleagues texted and emailed about the prospect of an imminent, epic political war breaking out over filling the upcoming vacancy.  Given recent history, and the Left's pattern of vicious histrionics, this reaction was an understandable initial instinct -- but upon further scrutiny, I believe it will prove misplaced in this case.  I could be wrong.  A major curveball or bombshell could scramble the dynamics.  But barring that sort of thing, or a truly radical pick by the president, I suspect the Breyer replacement process will be a relatively low octane affair that may well move forward fairly smoothly and somewhat predictably.  Why?

(1) All SCOTUS vacancies are high-profile political events, but some are laden with much higher stakes.  In the scheme of things, this is a low-stakes vacancy.  The likely outcome is a progressive justice replacing a progressive justice, with the ideological balance of the Court unchanged.  Going to the mats to try to derail this nomination doesn't make strategic sense.  I'd bet Mitch McConnell lets his very conservative members fight the good fight and rile up the righty base in an election year (it's always useful to remind conservative voters about the importance of the courts and the balance of power in the Senate), while allowing members with other considerations take whatever votes they need to on this one.

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2022/01/27/analysis-the-upcoming-scotus-confirmation-battle-may-be-relatively-tame-n2602425
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Oh, this is another opportunity to watch Mitch McConnell pull an obstructionist rabbit from his hat.

McConnell isn't going to concede a life-time Supreme Court Appointment to liberals.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
It may be low stakes but if the GOP leadership had any balls at all, they'd go in with the philosphy "Paybacks are Hell"

One bit of solace that I got from yesterday's news, is that giving Breyer the bum's rush pretty much means that the dims have all but conceded the mid terms.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Analysis: Why the Upcoming SCOTUS Confirmation Battle May Be Relatively Tame
Guy Benson

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 10:25 AM

When the news broke yesterday of Justice Breyer's intention to retire from the Supreme Court after this term -- a decision that was apparently leaked prematurely -- my phone started blowing up.  Friends and colleagues texted and emailed about the prospect of an imminent, epic political war breaking out over filling the upcoming vacancy.  Given recent history, and the Left's pattern of vicious histrionics, this reaction was an understandable initial instinct -- but upon further scrutiny, I believe it will prove misplaced in this case.  I could be wrong.  A major curveball or bombshell could scramble the dynamics.  But barring that sort of thing, or a truly radical pick by the president, I suspect the Breyer replacement process will be a relatively low octane affair that may well move forward fairly smoothly and somewhat predictably.  Why?

(1) All SCOTUS vacancies are high-profile political events, but some are laden with much higher stakes.  In the scheme of things, this is a low-stakes vacancy.  The likely outcome is a progressive justice replacing a progressive justice, with the ideological balance of the Court unchanged.  Going to the mats to try to derail this nomination doesn't make strategic sense.  I'd bet Mitch McConnell lets his very conservative members fight the good fight and rile up the righty base in an election year (it's always useful to remind conservative voters about the importance of the courts and the balance of power in the Senate), while allowing members with other considerations take whatever votes they need to on this one.

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2022/01/27/analysis-the-upcoming-scotus-confirmation-battle-may-be-relatively-tame-n2602425

Spot on.