Author Topic: Adams says it ‘makes no sense’ cops aren’t required to live in NYC  (Read 309 times)

Offline Kamaji

Adams says it ‘makes no sense’ cops aren’t required to live in NYC

By Craig McCarthy
January 24, 2022

Mayor Eric Adams said Monday that it “makes no sense” that the nearly 35,000 uniformed police officers aren’t required to live in the Big Apple.

“I want you here in this city,” Adams said after a press conference unveiling his new gun prevention plan.

“I want you to go to the cleaners. I want you to go to the churches to the supermarket, your children should be in our schools. We shouldn’t have 30 something percent of officers residing [out of New York City].”

“There’s no such thing as being off duty, so technically, if you see a crime and you don’t take action as a police officer, you could be held accountable for that,” Adams added. “So, why are we using our tax dollars to pay for an officer to be here for eight hours and then 16 hours he’s going to one of our five neighboring counties and protecting them?

“That makes no sense. …You are paying for other counties to be safe.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/01/24/adams-says-it-makes-no-sense-cops-arent-required-to-live-in-nyc/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Adams says it ‘makes no sense’ cops aren’t required to live in NYC
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 01:43:41 pm »
It may not make sense, but it is never going to change.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 09:21:39 pm »
Why doesn't the mayor live out in a neighborhood that isn't wealthy and uber protected so that he is close to the people that need his attention the most, could it be that he wants to himself and family to be safe? What does the mayor do, wake up in the morning and come up with more incentives for NYPD officers to find a safer/better place to work?

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 09:34:26 pm »
Cops might need a pay raise to afford the cost of living in New York City.

In the 1990s, Boston manadated that city employees live within the city, after many fled to the suburbs during the White Flight of the 1970s.  They'd rent an apparment in the city that multiple employees would claim as their residence when they really still lived in the 'burbs.

Public employees for rich suburbs can't afford to live in the town that employs them, so the towns let them live within so many miles.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 09:57:26 pm »
Cops might need a pay raise to afford the cost of living in New York City.

In the 1990s, Boston manadated that city employees live within the city, after many fled to the suburbs during the White Flight of the 1970s.  They'd rent an apparment in the city that multiple employees would claim as their residence when they really still lived in the 'burbs.

Public employees for rich suburbs can't afford to live in the town that employs them, so the towns let them live within so many miles.

After the first year or two, NYPD get paid pretty damned well, particularly once the overtime is taken into account.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 11:41:08 pm »
Did Rudy Giulianni require that cops live in the city back during his administration?
If not, what difference did it make then to their effectiveness?
The police did an admirable job of cleaning the place up in that era.

Methinks if Adams pushes on this too hard, a good number of these cops who live outta town may decide that perhaps finding a new job with the police forces where they live is preferable to remaining one of New York's finest...