Author Topic: U.S. troops on standby as tensions with Russia worsen over possible Ukraine war  (Read 481 times)

rangerrebew

U.S. troops on standby as tensions with Russia worsen over possible Ukraine war

Pentagon says 8,500 troops are on "heightened preparedness" even as Antony Blinken vows "diplomacy and dialogue"
By Andrea Germanos
Published January 25, 2022 5:30AM (EST)

This article originally appeared at Common Dreams. It is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. Feel free to republish and share widely.

Despite warnings that U.S. actions not focused on diplomacy with Russia risk setting the stage for an "exceedingly dangerous quagmire," the Pentagon announced Monday that roughly 8,500 U.S. troops have been put on "heightened preparedness to deploy" to Eastern Europe amid rising tensions with Russia over Ukraine.

Speaking at a news briefing, Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said the "steps to heighten the readiness of ... forces at home and abroad" were aligned with U.S. commitments to NATO.

President Biden wouldn't deploy the troops unless activated by NATO's Response Force (NRF) "or if other situations should develop," said Kirby.

The U.S. would also be ready to deploy additional combat teams and other support including logistics and surveillance, he said, though no deployment has yet been made.

https://www.salon.com/2022/01/25/us-troops-on-standby-as-tensions-with-worsen-over-possible-ukraine_partner/

Offline AARguy

In the "Budapest Memorandum" America committed to defending the Ukraine in exchange for giving up its nukes. So what's the big deal. We should live up to our promises.

Offline AARguy

I Commanded a nuke capable Artillery Battery in the Germany in the 1980's when the Iranians took over our embassy in Tehran. I walked through my Gun Park and Motor Pool that Sunday and found my troops doing maintenance all on their own. I asked the senior NCO on-site our "Chief of Smoke" what was going on. He said, "Sir, we'll be ready to go to Tehran and kick butt on a moment's notice!".

Soldiers love to do what they were trained to do. I must also note that this was 9 years after the Army had gone to an ALL VOLUNTEER FORCE.

Online dfwgator

In the "Budapest Memorandum" America committed to defending the Ukraine in exchange for giving up its nukes. So what's the big deal. We should live up to our promises.

Did the Senate ever ratify it? 

Online libertybele

Has Congress agreed to deploying troops to Europe/Ukraine??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline AARguy

The Wars Power Act allows the President to deploy troops for a minimum of 60 days.

Offline ironhorsedriver

However, Biden says under no circumstance will US troops enter Ukraine. So, why the showboating with that being said? The man is dangerous!

Offline Absalom

Biden's polls are deep underwater because of Covid, the Mexican Border, Inflation,
the Cargo Crisis at our west coast ports, his VP Schmuck ............and much more.
Although likely unintentionally, those talking up our Military action in the Ukraine
are providing cover and an escape hatch for Biden!!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:06:38 pm by Absalom »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
However, Biden says under no circumstance will US troops enter Ukraine. So, why the showboating with that being said? The man is dangerous!
No matter how much taxpayer dollars or American blood is poured into the Ukraine it will never result in butching up Biden or make him look like a strong leader to the American people or the rest of the world.