Author Topic: In Scotland, They’ll Take the Woke Road  (Read 134 times)

Offline Kamaji

In Scotland, They’ll Take the Woke Road
« on: January 24, 2022, 10:42:17 pm »
In Scotland, They’ll Take the Woke Road

Scotland illustrates how American-style “wokeness,” complete with its identity-politics, victim-culture assumptions, and lexicon, has seeped across the Atlantic to Europe.

By Richard Bernstein
January 22, 2022

DUNDEE, Scotland—The online class on gender, feminism, and the law was underway when Lisa Keogh, a 29-year-old student and mother of two, introduced a note of unwoke contention into the discussion.

“We were talking about equal rights for women, and I said I don’t believe a trans woman is really a woman,” said Keogh, then attending Abertay University Law School here. “I said that my definition of a woman is someone with a vagina.” Keogh, disagreeing with another point of view expressed in the same meeting, also voiced the apparently retrograde opinion that not all men are rapists.

In response, some students accused Keogh of “making offensive comments and behaving in a disrespectful manner during class discussion.” Abertay undertook a formal investigation, claiming, as a university spokesman told the media, that the school was “legally obliged to investigate all complaints.”

After two months and two sessions before the investigating committee, Keogh was exonerated. Still, her supporters say her ordeal took its toll—and sent a chilling message to other students about the risk of expressing opinions that contradict the tenets of the campus radical Left.

“The process is the punishment,” Stuart Waiton, a sociology and criminology lecturer at Abertay, told me over lunch in Dundee. Keogh has filed suit against the university for the stress, anxiety, and the loss of sleep while also claiming the process has hurt her chances of getting a job.

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2022/01/22/in-scotland-theyll-take-the-woke-road/

Offline Kamaji

Re: In Scotland, They’ll Take the Woke Road
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 10:42:29 pm »
“The process is the punishment,”

Exactly.