Author Topic: IRS urges Americans to file tax returns ASAP. Here's why  (Read 408 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
IRS urges Americans to file tax returns ASAP. Here's why
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:37:19 pm »
IRS urges Americans to file tax returns ASAP. Here's why
The IRS is grappling with a massive backlog of unprocessed returns

By Megan Henney FOXBusiness

The IRS has one request for Americans looking to get their tax refund as quickly as possible: File your return electronically and as soon as possible.

The tax-collecting agency is staring down a tax season that promises to bring complications and potential delays for taxpayers, given an IRS worker shortage, the Herculean task of administering millions of stimulus checks and adapting to other pandemic-related tax changes, and a massive backlog of unprocessed paper returns.

The agency is also grossly understaffed; it has 20,000 fewer staff than it did in 2010, and its budget is roughly $11.4 billion – 20% less than it was in 2010, when adjusted for inflation, according to the Congressional Budget Office. On top of that, more than 20% of the IRS customer service workforce has been unable to work for pandemic-related health reasons over the last two years.

"The IRS right now has unacceptable backlogs and the customer service that people are receiving is not what the American public deserves," White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Friday. "The agency has not been equipped with the resources to adequately serve taxpayers in normal times, let alone during a pandemic."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/irs-urges-americans-to-file-tax-returns-asap-heres-why
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: IRS urges Americans to file tax returns ASAP. Here's why
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 06:01:32 pm »
I'm still waiting for my tax year 2020 refund.  Ironically, we'll need that info for filing our 2021 taxes.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 06:26:13 pm »
They sure did cash my check quickly last year
Countdown to Resignation

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 07:34:42 pm »
IRS warns of 'frustrating' refund delays as tax-filing season kicks off
By Sylvan Lane - 01/24/22 02:05 PM EST

IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig warned Americans they could face delays receiving their 2021 tax refunds as the filing season kicked off Monday amid serious challenges for the agency.

In a Monday call with reporters, Retting urged Americans to begin preparing their taxes well ahead of the deadline, set up a direct deposit system with the IRS and file their returns electronically to avoid delays.

“This could be a very frustrating filing season for all taxpayers and tax professionals,” Rettig said.

Coronavirus-related staffing issues, the implementation of several new stimulus programs and long-standing lack of congressional funding could lead to delays processing tax returns and handling taxpayer questions, he said.

“I want you to know that our employees are committed to do everything possible with an all hands on deck approach to get people the help that they need,” Rettig said.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/591069-irs-warns-of-frustrating-refund-delays-as-tax-filing-season-kicks-off
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 07:39:55 pm »
They sure did cash my check quickly last year

They have no problem cashing checks. The problems arise when they are required to return money that already belongs to you and without any interest I might add!

The Income tax is a Marxist slave tax!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 07:47:03 pm »
They also have no problem sending out automated billing notices, demands for payment, and threats to levy, even if those are based on an incorrect account balance because the actual return for that year hasn't been processed yet.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 09:02:00 pm »
The agency is also grossly understaffed; it has 20,000 fewer staff than it did in 2010, and its budget is roughly $11.4 billion – 20% less than it was in 2010, when adjusted for inflation,

They were overstaffed in 2010 and they are overstaffed now, maybe if they didn't have so many fraudulent returns from illegals to process their workload would drop. OH NOES! They has less money due to inflation? Welcome to the world every day Americans have been shoved into by incompetent politicians, cut their budget back by oh say 100%.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 09:09:00 pm »
The agency is also grossly understaffed; it has 20,000 fewer staff than it did in 2010, and its budget is roughly $11.4 billion – 20% less than it was in 2010, when adjusted for inflation,

They were overstaffed in 2010 and they are overstaffed now, maybe if they didn't have so many fraudulent returns from illegals to process their workload would drop. OH NOES! They has less money due to inflation? Welcome to the world every day Americans have been shoved into by incompetent politicians, cut their budget back by oh say 100%.

It has little to do with returns from illegals, and more to do with the overly complex, confusing structure of the tax code and how difficult it can be to file a tax return if you have a financial situation that is more complicated than getting W-2 wages and having an IRA.