Author Topic: Supreme Court Rejects McCarthy Challenge To Absent Voting  (Read 468 times)

Online libertybele

Supreme Court Rejects McCarthy Challenge To Absent Voting
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:23:18 pm »
Supreme Court Rejects McCarthy Challenge To Absent Voting

The Supreme Court declined to hear a case challenging a rule set by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that allows members of the House of Representatives to cast votes when not present in the Capitol.

The lawsuit filed by House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and other leading Republicans in 2020 alleged that proxy voting violates the Constitution’s Quorum Clause, as well as plain language indicating that both chambers of Congress must meet in person. Under current House rules, one member can cast a proxy vote for up to ten colleagues, as long as the members who are not present file a letter with the House clerk. Pelosi and other supporters argue that proxy voting is necessary to social distance and prevent the spread of COVID-19............

https://www.conservativereview.com/supreme-court-rejects-mccarthy-challenge-to-absent-voting-2656469315.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Supreme Court Rejects McCarthy Challenge To Absent Voting
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 05:32:28 pm »
And they are entirely right to do so!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 06:27:26 pm »
Are there abuse or fraud concerns with the proxy approach?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 06:28:55 pm »
And they are entirely right to do so!

We may not like what's going on in Congress, but that doesn't mean we want the SCOTUS camel getting it's nose in the tent either.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 06:34:06 pm »
We may not like what's going on in Congress, but that doesn't mean we want the SCOTUS camel getting it's nose in the tent either.

Correct.  Congress sets it's own rules, it's not proper to expect the SCOTUS to intervene. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 06:50:01 pm »

B I N G O ! ! !

If we don't like what's going on in congress WE alone have the power to change it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:56:27 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:52:41 pm »
our congress critters work so few days and are paid handsomely for it that I don't think proxy should be allowed wholesale but if there is a family emergency it should be ok.
Having said that, the scotus has no say so...