Author Topic: Sinema scuttles hopes for filibuster reform  (Read 79 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sinema scuttles hopes for filibuster reform
« on: January 13, 2022, 06:20:53 pm »
Sinema scuttles hopes for filibuster reform
By Jordain Carney - 01/13/22 12:46 PM EST

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) doubled down on her support for the 60-vote legislative filibuster Tuesday, roughly an hour before President Biden meets with Democrats to push for changing the Senate rule in order to pass voting rights legislation.

“I will not support separate actions that worsen the underlying disease of division infecting our country,” Sinema said during a Senate floor speech. 

She added that she has had “long-standing support” for the legislative filibuster, which requires 60 votes for most legislation to advance in the Senate.

“It is the view I continue to hold. It is the belief I have shared many times in public settings and in private settings,” Sinema said. “Eliminating the 60-vote threshold will simply guarantee that we lose a critical tool that we need to safeguard our democracy.”

As Sinema was speaking, several GOP senators were on the floor listening to her speech: Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) and Sens. John Thune (S.D.), Mitt Romney (Utah), Susan Collins (Maine), Ben Sasse (Neb.), Bill Hagerty (Tenn.), Tom Cotton (Ark.), Ted Cruz (Texas) and Thom Tillis (N.C.).

Democratic Sens. Dick Durbin (Ill.), who spoke before Sinema, and Jeff Merkley (Ore.) were at their desks for Sinema’s speech. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/589598-sinema-doubles-down-on-support-for-filibuster-citing-disease-of-divison
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34