Author Topic: Omar calls for closure of Guantánamo Bay prison after 20 years of 'lawlessness and cruelty'  (Read 133 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Omar calls for closure of Guantánamo Bay prison after 20 years of 'lawlessness and cruelty'
By Joseph Choi - 01/11/22 03:06 PM EST

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) penned an op-ed piece published in Teen Vogue Tuesday calling for the Guantánamo Bay detention facility to be shut down 20 years to the day of its opening.

The Minnesota representative wrote that she would rather not refer to Jan. 11 as an "anniversary" as it implied a celebration.

"Today is a day to reflect, and to act," wrote Omar.

"I reflect on what scores of men lost when the United States tortured them, systematically dismantling their identity and humanity. I reflect on what the families of victims of the September 11, 2001, attacks lost — any possibility of fair and impartial justice — when the United States decided to trade away decency and the rule of law for torture and indefinite detention. And I reflect on our refusal to hold anyone meaningfully accountable for these acts," she wrote.

Of the 39 remaining prisoners at the facility in Cuba, 27 have not been charged with a crime, according to The New York Times, a fact Omar lamented as going against "the most basic standards of justice" and a knock on the U.S.'s global reputation.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/589238-omar-calls-for-closure-of-guantanamo-bay-prison-after-20-years-of-lawlessness
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Are there a few empty cells for the *squad*?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
She has friends and relatives housed there.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

Remember when Obammy said that closing Gitmo would be the very first thing he did, once he took office? Good times.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
When the Bratva frees the 1/6 Zeks, maybe we can talk about it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Omar calls for closure of Guantánamo Bay prison after 20 years of 'lawlessness and cruelty'

She should be IN that prison...

Offline Killer Clouds

She should be IN that prison...
:thumbsup: EXACTLY!