Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 126489 times)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #1125 on: December 02, 2023, 04:54:23 pm »
@catfish1957 @sneakypete

I had a VHS tape of "The Wall" movie with Bob Geldof as the lead.

I played it so much I broke the tape .

It really spoke to me.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1126 on: December 02, 2023, 04:58:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Was this pre-Rats?  I'd forgotten he was in it.  Glad you liked it.  I think I was more into the interpretive aspect of Music/Movie content.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online LMAO

« Reply #1127 on: December 02, 2023, 09:01:12 pm »
I feel the same way about Pink Floyd’s “The Wall.” I had DSOTM, Animals, and Wish you Were Here and enjoyed those albums

The first time I did hear The Wall was at a friends house sometime in the late 1970’s playing in the background and I decided that it wasn’t for me.

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1128 on: December 03, 2023, 12:53:24 am »
@catfish1957 @sneakypete

I had a VHS tape of "The Wall" movie with Bob Geldof as the lead.

I played it so much I broke the tape .

It really spoke to me.

@Gefn

I was so out of touch I didn't even know there was a movie from the CD.

Then again,I pretty much stated maximum buzzed back in those days.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1129 on: December 03, 2023, 01:50:55 pm »
@Gefn

Then again,I pretty much stated maximum buzzed back in those days.

@sneakypete
@corbe

Dedicated to those who might have particpated in uhhh....mind altering stuff in the day.  Before dismissing this to random noise, you might be suprised which significant bands were influenced by this.  Musical art, in kind of a Jackson Pollock kind of way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT8omNGhbTM
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1130 on: December 04, 2023, 11:15:22 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  Blink 182- Take Off Your Pants and Jacket (2001) ***

Blink had a tough act to follow. To followup on the massively successful Enema of the State, would be an almost an impossible feat.  Enema was Quintiple Platinum, which is (was) a pretty amazing accomplishment right in the middle of the Napster era.  I understand Punk is not for most people, and how I at least see the genre, are those few bands who best took forward the ideas, energy, speed, and chaotic flailing of the Ramones.  The Ramones will always be the gold standard, but there were quite a few descendents that took the mantle, and did it well, and in the case of Blink did it in a slight handed Pop, and melodic way.

But more than anything, if you are a fan of drumming and percussion, what Travis Barker did on these two albums is nothing short of remarkable.  No one in the past 25 years or so had done it as expansive, filled, and crushing than the tatooed wonder.  Listen closely, and you would think some of what he accomplshes could only be done via electronic fill.  But that is not the case.  The guy is that good. Why he is not ranked higher among the greats is more likely a function of the lack of serious nature of Blink's music instead of his technical prowess. 

Mark Hoppus, and Tom Delonge are not slouches either in their craft.  They are as competent as the rest of the Alpha-Numeric Punk acts of the era.  What slightly sets them apart is what I consider somewhat of a pop sensibility.  Not overt enough to infer Hook Central, but just a load of really good punk tunes.  And I got a kick of these kids doing a parody and what the thought of what it was like in mid 1970's in their "First Date" Video.   But let me add, that the latter part of the album contains stupid poinless vulagarity that detracts from the album's legacy.

The CD is 19 generally short 2-3 minute rides into modern Punk Rock and the adventures of youth, and fun as hell.   Instead of ranking these, I am going to assign the tunes a "quintile" ranking. 1 2 3 4 5   And maybe a short narrative, if warranted.  I mean this is punk rock.  This isn't designed to over analyzed. Plus I might add  I know the quintiles aren't exactly symetrical, but I did the best I could.

Fun Fact:  All 7 of the last 9 Blink 182 studio albums charted in the Top 10.

Track No.
========

1. Anthem Part 2-  2

2. Online Songs-  No new ground here.  Similar to some of the stuff on Enema 4

3. First Date-  Probably their biggest hit on the CD.  Excellent take on teenage agnst. Drumming clinic in progress 1

4. Happy Holidays, You Bastard-  If there is one knock on Blink's material, I swear that they do have some almost similar, if not exact.  Dock for recycling 5

5. Story of a Lonely Guy-  The most thoughtful, and melodic, pleasantly hooked effort. 1

6. The Rock Show- Love story telling  on a quaint, and effective level-  1

7. Stay Together for the Kids-  Meloncoly sad in the vein of previous Adam's Song.  Not near as good or effective at the heart strings- 4

8.Rollercoaster- Most pure punk blasting chaotic piece on the CD. Excellent job boys.  1

9. Reckless Abandon- 3

10. Every Time I Look at You-  4

11. Give Me One Good Reason- Rehashed Dumpweed. 5

12. Shut Up- 3

13. Please Take Me Home- 2

14. Time to Break Up-  Whoosh drumming!!!   3

15. Mother's Day- ???  WTF. 5

16. What Went Wrong- Almost Greenday-ish ballad that strangely works.  2

17. F__ a Dog-  Idiotic and pointless.  Docked massively for pointless vulgarity. 5

18. Don't Tell Me Its Over-  In the middle of the bottom garbage is a great song. 1

19.  When You F__'ed  Grandpa- No comment needed.   **nononono*. 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fZS_BKirW8
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 11:19:35 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1131 on: December 08, 2023, 06:53:01 am »
Classic Concert of the Night-  Alice Coooper on ABC's In Concert.  Broadcasted November 24,1972.

I watched the original broadcast of this waaaaaay back, and it helped put my interest in Rock Music into overdrive.  This was so different, so audacious, so Anti-Hippy, and soooooo anti-mainstream at the time.......

Sorry, for the quality, of the YT video.  Remember this is 1972, and honestly, I am just thankful a copy of this still exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiJ74lBFGa8&list=RDWiJ74lBFGa8&start_radio=1
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 06:56:25 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1132 on: December 13, 2023, 07:53:13 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Fleetwood Mac- Rumours (1977) *** 1/2

I have avoided (delayed) this review for the fact that I heard this damned thing so much in the late 1970's, and  I got sick of it.  If you lived in this era, and haven't heard at least a few of these songs, I can honestly say you must have lived under a rock.  But leaving the fatigue factor aside, I will admit that this is a once in a masterpiece of song writing, and execution.  If you were to put a finger on the reasoning of such sudden success, it was the obvious that the tandem of Buckingham and Nicks had wrestled artistic control from Fleetwood and the McVie(s).  It shows in full content and style.  And the band never looked back.

As mentioned earlier, this got played to death, and appealed to a wide variety of fans of rock, pop, and contemporary.  I wil admit that if I hadn't heard this so much on the radio in the day, I would have rated it a tad higher.  But with that, and listening to this in its entirety, it sure brought back lots of good and bad memeories.  Many might say, it had a lot to do, with the soundtrack of life of 1977.  It was almost impossible without a Fleetwoood Mac song hitting the radio in any given hour.

The album itself has nice and wide stylistic turns form strong rocking, to soulfoul ballads, to hard core Top 40 fodder.  Yes the appeal was that wide.  If you remember my Tusk review, I lamented that Buckingham is a terribly underated guitarist.  No, not a top 5 kind of guy, but his stuff and its application is excellent. 

Fun Fact:  Rumours outsold the previous 11 Fleetwood Mac albums by a factor of 4X. 30M sales makes it the 7th highest sales of a studio album of all time.

Side 1-
------------

Second Hand News- Strong out of the gate, with a sexy interluding harmony by the lady herself.  Wow, was I rver enamored with Ms.Nicks in the day.  Others had a Farah Fawcett poster on the wall.  Mine was a hot and sweaty Stevie Nicks.  Overall a nice hooked and rolling rocker.  5

Dreams- This was the bedrock of sexy singing that laid the ground work of her massively successful solo career.  This ballad, IMO not her greatest still has a lot effect, and sold big time for the LP  Still think she and Joplin had the sexiest voices of women in history. 7

Never Going Back- Buckingham loved doing almost 19th century like folk musical ditties that were very good, and a whole lot this style is more evident on Tusk. I liked them, and this is a good one on a great album 9

Don't Stop-  Great hooked pop hit, that flooded the airwaves in 1977.  Docked slightly for being a Clinton Campaign Theme Song.

Go Your Own Way-  The great hit, though overplayed it deserves its legendary legacy. In the day, it seemed like the massively typical "Break Up" Song, though later on, I understand that was definitiely not the intent of Buckingham.  Has the absolutle some bad ass guitar work, and  Lindsey Buckingham at his best.  The multi-string bar fretting solo-ing is not as easy as you think,  1

Song Bird- When Chris McVie died recently, my first thoughts were  listening to this particular tune, and it was pretty tough holding back the water works.  This song even then in my mind was hauntingly beautiful.  And now it rates higher now for me than then. 4

Side 2-
----------------
(Silver Springs)-  a Reissue and skipping

The Chain- Another one of those 19th centrury like themed ballads, though more hard edged that I alway considered lower tier.  Still, good but not their best 10

You Make Loving Fun- Missing from this YT video.  Was a good standard rocking number sang by McVie.  Lower tier on  album, and really nothing to add in the effort8

I Don't Want to Know-  The real sleeper that wasn't adored by the masses, but had that feel that is what made Tusk such a great song.  Buckingham's amazing acoustical almost in a Mandolinish harmonized choral floral explosion.  I loved it 2

Oh Daddy- Weak McVie ballad- 11

Gold Dust Woman-  Nicks turns the Sexy Dial up to "11".  Love the 19th century vibe.  I know Nicks is given full songwriting credit, but there is no doubt hearing Buckingham's influence. 6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzEt9cATWFw

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1133 on: December 13, 2023, 07:59:16 pm »
Yes, Fleetwood Mac was overplayed. And yes, it sounds pretty great as the years fly by and the new music stinks.
Silver Springs is my favorite Fleetwood song.
Thanks for reviewing this album.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online berdie

« Reply #1134 on: December 13, 2023, 09:32:05 pm »
Although I loved Tusk, Rumors was my favorite. Although overplayed, as you said, the familiarity brings contented listening. Sort of like putting on comfortable house shoes. :laugh:

To me, it showcased all the members of the band in a most excellent way. The one time I saw them, sans Christie, they were excellent. And most of that concert focused  on Rumors. A very long time after its release...the crowd was still very enthusiastic.

And as @deb said...thank you, I enjoyed the review.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1135 on: December 15, 2023, 05:42:21 am »
Although I loved Tusk, Rumors was my favorite. Although overplayed, as you said, the familiarity brings contented listening. Sort of like putting on comfortable house shoes. :laugh:

To me, it showcased all the members of the band in a most excellent way. The one time I saw them, sans Christie, they were excellent. And most of that concert focused  on Rumors. A very long time after its release...the crowd was still very enthusiastic.

And as @deb said...thank you, I enjoyed the review.

@deb
@berdie

Thanks....

In all the reviews I've done, this was the one that proabably invoked the most memories, for the fact as I said earlier....  Rumors as an album was about as close of a soundtrack to 1977 as it came. AND was a welcome respite to the avalanche of Disco we had to endure on the radio during the period too.

Back then I thought Chris Mc Vie's Song Bird, was a pleasant and nice ballad to add.  Today, and especially since she is gone, it has haunting meloncoly feel that is tough to listen to without emotion.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 05:44:17 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1136 on: December 15, 2023, 12:32:21 pm »
Nothing better than some Morning Wake Up Primus.  Rattle it on Les.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953PkxFNiko&list=RD953PkxFNiko&start_radio=1

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1137 on: December 17, 2023, 01:20:20 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Sum 41- All Killer No Filler-  (2001) ** 1/2

The dawn of the Millenum brought in a new rock fad, that i like too call the era of the "Alpha Numeric Nuevo-Punk Bands"-  Have to admit that the large majority of them were garbage, and thankfully I had my kids there to vet, and show me the better ones.  And this band, Sum was a top tier of that genre.  These guys are Canadian, and like so many of that time, started, operated, and I guess now have pretty faded into obscurity.  Like so many too of that time.   

Got to admit, that I loved the title, and its take on Album quality. Kind of gives a clue that recording artists, and execs have always had a pretty good idea of what level of quality was being offered to the record buying audience.  As far as the band, they seem to almost be a 50-50 blend of Green Day and Blink 182.  There was a lot of trash in the genre at the time, but in this case, a very listenable album.  No Filler?  I wouldn't go that far, but I put this album easily in the top 5 or 6 of the genre.    In an case, if you had the radio on in the early 2000's, I am guessing you will recognize a tune or two.  This was the band's debut, and will say the subsequent 7 do not come near this level of listen.  One Hit Wonder?  That's my take.

Fun Fact: And a strange one.  Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee performs in one of the live renditons, in later re-issue of this CD.

As with most punk albums, no over analysis is needed.  Some songs below may not include any critical review.

Track No.
------------

1. Introduction to Destruction-  What a silly satanic like intro, and schitick.  Sorry boys, Black Sabbath did this, and did it  100X better 30 years earlier. - 13

2. Nothing on My Back- Excellent start, yeah, a pretty typical punk song, but great drum and bass fills mid point.  2

3. Never Wake Up-  Speed Punk.  Meh. 8

4. Fat Lip-  I know we have some Beastie Boys Briefer Fans, and the guys do a good homage and mix of that style with their own punk chops.  This was their big hit, and the one you might recognize.  Best effort on the CD.  1

5. Rhythms- 7

6. Motivation- Another one that got some air play that has an almost ska melodic theming, and some really good infused but short guitar runs.   3

7. In Too Deep-  Add one more  that got airplay that harkens to a Green Day-ish style.  Maybe too much like Green Day.  Not bad though- 4

8. Summer- 10

9. Handle This- 9

10. Crazy Amanda Bunkface- Like the lower register guitar work,  unusal vocal phrasing, add some almost metalish infusion?  Pretty Decent- 5

11. All She's Got-  Sounds almost Identical  to any Blink Song.  Even the drumming is Barker-ish-  Very good though. 6

12. Heart Attack- 11

13. Pain For Pleasure- 12  Almost parody-ish farce of '80's Metal stuff.  Jokes on you boys.  You've just wasted 2 mnutes of CD time with your dumbass imitation. 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHmQdxujLCA

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1138 on: December 20, 2023, 09:19:14 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Marshall Crenshaw- Self Titled (1982) ** 1/2

Right in the midst of the New Wave era resided some really decent somewhat obscure acts that have kind of faded from the memory of listeners.  While thumbing through the collection today, I gave this one a listen, and was pleasantly surprised how good about half of this album was.  The other half isn't exactly filler, but overall suprisingly good.  Strange point though is that while Crenshaw was loved by critics, that adulation didn't translate into album sales,  and surpringly so-so chart wise.  The charm in this album is really good songwriting skills.  Don't expect an Ocasek / Orr muscial new wave clinic. Crenshaw never reproduced this quaility, and subsequent works, and latter work not near as good.

If I had to describe Crenshaw, I'd describe him as more pop-ish variety of Elvis Costello, other similar new wave artists of the day, but what made him somewhat unique addition of a Rock-a-Billy sound.  Yeah, Hooks-a-million, but when you listen to the overall product you kind of think your are hearing a clone of what a mix of  Elvis Costello and Buddy Holly would exactly sound like.  And to be honest, I understand Costello's appeal, but I have never been much of a fan.  Music is subjective, obviously, but he's never interested me outside a couple of songs over a multi-decade career.

Another few house keeping items on this review.  (1)  It is a strange oddity in how the album is configured where the 4 best songs are the first 2 from Side 1, and the last 2 from Side 2.  Can't say I have seen that too many times  (2) Sadly, the entire album is not available for the "listener experience" on YT.   So I am adding the  four I just mentioned.  If it interested, check out the others.  Overall....  Not bad.

Fun Fact: Maybe the only act I have heard where brothers made up 2 of the 3 members.  Anyone else know of an example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5VDIvesL4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7sg66vfNHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGMbbq3ct_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJJrzEdSi4o
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 09:23:34 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1139 on: December 21, 2023, 07:22:10 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Enya- Shepherd Moons (1991) ***

Didn't expect this one?  I am not a fan of New Age Music, but I am a fan of enormous talent, and especially those who are at the apex in their genre.  Enya is a hugely successful New Age Artist who has had world wide admiration.  There may be a few that come to mind to me later, but her tonal perfection and range is unparalleled, by mabe just a very select few, like Whitney Houston.  I don't think even Pat Benetar could manage her catalog technically.  In any case, humor me for a guilty pleasure, and enjooy beauty on vinyl.

Enya has a strong catalog, but this particular album, is  head and shoulder what I feel is the next best.....  "The Memory of Trees".  Very much more consistent, and utterly ehterally, and celestially beautiful.  This is the kind of music I like when stuck in crazy Houston Freeway traffic, ....relaxing.  She draws from her Celt/Gaelic roots, into folk, neo-classical, and new age etherics to make magic.  Many of her songs are sung in her native Gaelic language, along with English, and Latin.  My all time favorite of hers, includes the mixes of these in "Afer Ventus"

Shephered Moons is from a style perspective more etheral (sorry for the overuse) and choral melodic than her other LP's.  There are as always some strong Gaelic contributions like "EBudae", but more of the fare is airy and strong on flowing and rolling melodies..  One anecdotal add is one that is kind of eery in a way.  When I first heard the song Marble Halls, I had a strange kind of dejavu feeling, though through research, there is no way I could heard that song before.  Come to find out it was written in the 19th century.  Enough of that.  But overall this is an exceptionally pleasant and consistently  good LP.  Even the lesser cuts are woth of a listen. Hope it is a good change of pace.

Fun Fact:  Enya is the second best selling Irish act of all time behind U2.

Side 1-
----------

Shepherd Moons-  Come to find out this is an ode to Saturn's inner 2 moons.  Mostly a stunning keboard instrumental with a tad of out oof this world-ish chorus blending in a nice package   The production of some how bleeding, to near reverb is a very nice touch. 4

Caribbean Blue- The recognizable tune that got the most radio play.  Has that Orinoco Flow vibe, that seemed a bit redundant.  Do like how she did that harpisichord like fill.  Her best example of that is "China Roses" from her next album "The Memory of Tree"  9

How I Can Keep From Singing-  The best example of Enya's range.  Song comes across like a hymn, with background subdued small church organ.  Her ability to maintain resonance on those high notes is amazing.  7

Ebudae-  A total change of pace, as Enya sings a traditional Gaelic folk/ battle? tune that really highlights her lower range.  I love the fact that this song is so un-like the other theming of the album, but is still a great addition.  6

Angeles- Another almost hymnal like number with beautifully blended harmonies.   Add a bizarre clarinet solo at the end?  Wow. 5

No Holly for Ms. Quinn- Very good piano instrumental that, even that good is a weaker cut on the LP. 12

Side 2-
----------

Book of Days- The most commerical song on the album, and somewhat pedistrian and boring versus the adventurous and content elsewhere.  I must not have been alone, because I found out today this was an award winning song-  It got a Golden Rasberry Award for Original Film Score-  :silly:  11

Evacuee- Now the LP starts ramping up.  Song begins with an eery Marble Halls intro, and in almost anthem like hymnal flows into a spectacular variation of that melody line into an excellent song that highlights all aspects of Enya's voice. 2

Lothiorien- Kind of works off the ehteral Shepherd Moons melodic theming.  Another out of this world feeling instrumental,  Her technical and production crews are just as talented, and this is such a good example. 8

Marble Halls- Stunningly beautiful 19th century waltz  Angelic vocals might give you chills as they augment the melody in 3/4 Time. 3

Afer Ventus-  My favorite song in the entire Enya catalog.  If you only have time for one song, please try this one.  Two competing melodies sang in unison in two languages Gaelic and Latin.  How they intertwine and flow is jaw dropping. Celestial chorusing transistion soothingly and finally climaxes to a pseudo-harpiscord like music box ending.  Afer Ventus is Latin for African Wind.  1

Smaointe- Gaelic ballad that is lower tier.  No new ground or interest generated.  10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWNRQnJxpmg

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:12:21 pm by catfish1957 »

Online berdie

« Reply #1140 on: December 21, 2023, 09:25:00 pm »
You are full of surprises @catfish1957 !

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1141 on: December 21, 2023, 10:13:30 pm »
You are full of surprises @catfish1957 !

:cool:

Thanks.  I can typically find some redeeming quality in any musical genre, besides Rap.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1142 on: December 22, 2023, 03:16:13 pm »
Signing off for a little Christmas travel/festivities....  Should be back the 26th. 

Merry Christmas to all.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1143 on: December 22, 2023, 03:48:28 pm »
Merry Christmas! To you and yours. Thanks for all the great reviews.  :beer: @catfish1957
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #1144 on: December 23, 2023, 01:19:51 am »
Signing off for a little Christmas travel/festivities....  Should be back the 26th. 

Merry Christmas to all.

Have a wonderful Christmas!
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1145 on: December 27, 2023, 03:23:29 pm »
Merry Christmas! To you and yours. Thanks for all the great reviews.  :beer: @catfish1957

@bigheadfred

Thanks for the kind words Fred.  Let me know if there are any particular bands or albums you'd like to hear about

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1146 on: December 27, 2023, 05:12:37 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Led Zeppelin- Physical Grafitti (1975) **** 1/2

This one is near and dear, and one wrought wlth great memories, and stories.  A while back (almost a couple of years ago) I shared in my Top 20 lists, my anecdotal experience wth this particular album.  If you don't mind me indulging, please let me re-post those memories before moving forward with the review:

***- Quite a story with this album.  I bugged the hell out of my record store to get Physical Graffiti, and had an "urgent" and "priority" status put my order.  On April 11, 1975 When I got the call to pick up, that night I thew a Zep Album party foor  nine of my closest rocking buddies, and we had a formal unwrapping and First Play Party.  As far as I know, I was the first kid in the state to get the album.  That's at least what the record store told me.  And more Hawaiian Punch and Chips Ahoy than anyone could eat.  And finally kudos to parents for letting me have the house for the evening, along with the parental HiFi

Interesting how you respond to music after years have passed.  When I first played this LP,  I had it easily had it up there in legendary status with the first 4, and that is saying something.  Then you realize after hearing in detail, that this is an album with some flaws, though minor.  At the time I also did not know or understand that many of these were outtakes of early 70's tunes from IV and H of H,  that just didn't make the cut. About half actually were recorded pre-'74.   In essence, this ended up being an exercise of band self indulgence.  And if this album would have been centered on the better half, this would have been at regular LZ 5 star status.  That level of indulgence is also evident that 3 of the 15 cuts are over 8 minutes long.  Yes, that was pretty common at the time for one, but 3? 

The album itself, is a wonder of engineering, especially evident in the 1974 songs.  Crisper, tighter, and maybe a tad less fuzz-sloppiness that was a hallmark, though a great one giving this band its signature sound.  The 3 main musicians Page, JPJ, and Bonzo are all in their full bad ass greatness.  The solos and playing as in any LZ LP is the rock standard.  That is why, and no accident  so many bands in the era emulated them.   Led Zeppelin was the undisputed standard for Hard Rock.

What kind of makes this album unique is that this really the turning point where Page decided he didn't want to rely as much on blues based rock to practice their trade.  It also has some of their most experimental musical wares.  In 1970, I never dreamed that song like Kashmir could be made by this same band that did the blues on steroids. III may have had more of an audacious approach, but there is no doubt, much of what you were hearing in the '74 stuff was contrived on an expanded creativity base, instead of variations of blues.  One thing is also certain, you can sure feel the eastern influence.  It just worked on so many levels.  In any case get ready for an hour and a half of rock history.

I do think in closing though, that this wild experimentative phase of the band did backfire in their next effort, and the worst album in their catalog - Presence.  Another day for that one.

Fun Fact:  First album after breaking from Atlantic Records, creating Swan Song Records.  Yep, Led Zeppelin was this big and powerful.  And influential?  First new band they signed to their record company was Bad Company.

Side 1-
-------------

Custard Pie- Nice funky and blues-ish start to this long book. The fact this song is lower tier, and this great should give you an idea of great, varied, talented, and musically in the zone this band was in the early 1970's 10

The Rover- Hard rocking masterful classic, Page's magical ax work kind of underscores some fine JPJ, Bonham stuff.  Boom!!  4

In My Time of Dying-   Can't remember one song that Page relied more on the slide on. This is one of the 3 epic long ones, and yeah Page's solo is great, but from a listening perspective, this one is about 6 minutes too long. 8

Side 2-
-------------

Houses of the Holy-  Ahhh yes, the title track that never was.  Still, if there is one of these 4 sides worth the most listening, this is the one.  Houses has that Dancin' Daze kind of riffing structure, still it even with its hooks, is a great Led Zeppelin tune. Love the time change alterations, and way innovative synced structure  5

Trampled Underfoot- More outstanding musical syncopation.  The flowing and wailing Page guitar adds are genius.  When Zep did funky, they did it great.  OOOOO eeee....  indeed.  7

Kashmir-  Wow, where do we start on this epic masterpiece.   Never has a rock song ever been so constucted to build in tension, forbodance(?), and anticpation.  Up and down like a roller coaster, Plant have never sang  with such convicition of mysticism ever.   Ever band member is on their game, and when the song morphs into its eastern flair?  You can just feel the story unfold. And how Page was able to extract that horn like sound?  I guess that is why he is Jimmy Page.  For older guys Clapton may have been God, but to our generation, Page was the man.  And I always wondered if Rat impressed Stacy with his taste in music.   1

Side 3-
-----------

In the Light-  The Eastern influences continue into another mystical tour de force that blends into a fantastic good old fashion rocking number, but still with somewhat of a Kashmire feel to as it builds, ebbs, and flows as the verses progress.  No, this isn't a Kashmir remake, and is outstanding on its own merits.  3

Bron-Yr-Aur-  No I don't know Gaelic, and have never bothered to look up what it means.  It is a short two minute Page acoustical ditty that is really good on a great album.  14

Down By the Seaside- Closest thing to filler on this LP.  Not sure what they were wanting to accomplish with this almost C &W effort.  15

Ten Years Gone- Page for the 3rd time has reverted to his Kashmir based melodic patterns.  With less success. Much better options on this LP. 11

Side 4-
------------

Night Flight- Lower tier, good stuff, but not their most inspired. 13

The Wanton Song-  The sleeper on the LP, as I like to call it.  Yeah, the band may have overused the funky style a bit, but I love the hook lines to death.  Bonzo does some pretty amazing stuff here if you listen closely.  2

Boogie With Stu-  Zep, often had a strange one and this piano based barrel house rocker has a neat '50's kind of touch to it. Love how Plant also used a hollowed mic to give it that rustic feel. Then add a Page Mandolin for spare?  What's not to like?  9

Black Country Woman- A semi-acooustical that is purposely off tuned to give it that delta blues vibe.  12

Sick Again- Page turns up the blues in maybe from a mixed perspective the most atypical H of the H feeling number.  Does rock though.  6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6I31ev1GM

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1147 on: December 27, 2023, 06:18:48 pm »
I like to update ever 8-10 pages with listing of reviews that I maintain on Page 1.

Index of Record Reviews-  Band-Album-Page No. on thread (from Maj. Bill and Catfish)
========================================

AC DC- Back In Black- 26. ****
AC DC- For Those About to Rock- 43 *** 1/2
AC-DC- High Voltage- 35 ****
Aerosmith- Get Your Wings- 45 *** 1/2
Aerosmith- Rocks- 30 *** 1/2
Aersosmith- Toys in the Attic- 30 ****
Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies- 27 ****
Alice Cooper- Killer- 42 *** 1/2
Alice Cooper- Love it to Death- 38 *** 1/2
Alice Cooper Welcome to My Nightmare- 43 *** 1/2
Amboy Dukes- Journey to the Center of a Mind- 39  ** 1/2
Eric Burdon and the Animals- Winds of Change- 42 ** 1/2
Asia- Asia- 38 * 1/2
The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds-  ** 1/2
The Beatles- Sargent Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band- 30 *****
The Beatles- Abbey Road- 44 *****
Big Country- The Crossing= *** 1/2
Black Oak Arkansas, Black Oak Arkansas-  32 *** 1/2
Black Sabbath- Master of Reality- 43 ****
Black Sabbath- Volume 4- 26 ****
Blink 182- Enema of the State- 32 *** 1/2
Blink 182- Take Off Your Pants and Jacket- 46 ***
Blue Cheer- Blue Cheer- 44- ***
Blue Oyster Cult- Agents of Fortune- 28 ****
Blue Oyster Cult- The Revolution By Night- 38 *** 1/2
Bloodrock-II - 29 *** 1/2
Boston-Boston- 26 *****
Boston- Walk On- 37 ****
Jackson Browne- Lawyers in Love- 38 ***
The Cars- Candy-O - 28 ****
The Cars-The Cars- 39 ****
Chicago- Chicago- 29 *** 1/2
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Cosmo's Factory- 45 *****
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Willy and the Poor Boys- 27 *****
Creme- Disraeli Gears- 37 **** 1/2
Marshall Crenshaw- Marshall Crenshaw- 46  ** 1/2
Deep Purple- Burn- 37 ****
Deep Purple- Machine Head- 30 **** 1/2
Def Leppard- Hysteria- 29 ****
Derek and the Dominos- Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs- 40 ****
Dire Straits- Love Over Gold- 41 **** 1/2
Dire Straits- Making Movies- 36 ****
The Doors-The Doors-30 ***
Dream Theatre- Images and Words- 37 ***
Eagles- The Long Run- 37. ***
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery- 26 **** 1/2
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Pictures at an Exhibition- 32 ****
Emerson Lake and Palmer- Trilogy- 42 **** 1/2
Eno- Another Green World- 34
Enya- Shepherd Moons- 46 ***
Fleetwood Mac Rumors-46 *** 1/2
Fleetwood Mac- Tusk- 43 ****
Foghat- Night Shift- 42 ****
Foreigner- IV- 29 *** 1/2
Genesis- Trespass- 36
Golden Earring- Moontan- 33 *** 1/2
Grand Funk Railroad- Closer to Home- 35 ***
Green Day- American Idiot- 29 ***
Guns and Roses- Appetite for Destruction- 39 *
Heart- Bad Animals- 45 ***
Honeymoon Suite- The Big Prize -44 *** 1/2
Hooters- Nervous Nights- 45  ***
INXS- Listen Like Thieves- 36 ***
Jimi Hendrix- Are you Experienced- 34 **** 1/2
James Gang- Rides Again- 29 ****
Jethro Tull- Aqualung- 32 *** 1/2
Journey- Infinity- 35 *** 1/2
Kansas- Leftoverture- 28 ****
Kansas - Point of Know Return- 41 ****
King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King- 34 *** 1/2
Kiss- Destroyer- 30 ***
Led Zeppelin- 42 *****
Led Zeppelin- II- 41 *****
Led Zeppelin- III- 29 *****
Led Zeppelin-IV- 25 *****
Led Zeppelin- Houses of the Holy- 44 ****
Led Zeppelin- Physical Grafitti- 46 **** 1/2
Loverboy- Get Lucky- 45 ***
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Lynyrd Skynrd- 33 ****
Metallica- Black Album- 35 ** 1/2
Steve Miller Band- Book of Dreams- 29 *** 1/2
The Moody Blues- Days of Future Past- 35 **** 1/2
The Moody Blues- 7th Sojourn- 28 **** 1/2
Nazareth- Hair of the Dog -37 ***
Willie Nelson- Red Headed Stranger- 40 ***
Nine Inch Nails- The Downward Spiral- 37 ****
Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine- 45 ***
Nirvanna- Nevermind- 35 **
The Offspring- Splinter- 45 ***
Mike Oldfield- Tubular Bells- 37 ** 1/2
Tom Petty and Heartbreakers- Damn the Torpedos- 42 *** 1/2
Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever- 25 *****
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- Into the Great Wide Open- 34 ****
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon- 40 ****
Pink Floyd- Momentary Lapse of Reason- 43 ****
Pink Floyd- The Wall- 45 **
Queen- Queen- 36 ****
Queen- II- 43 ****
Ramones- Ramones- 28 ****
Rare Earth- One World- 44 ***
Roxy Music- For Your Pleasure- 35 ***
Rush- 2112- 26 *****
Rush- Grace Under Pressure- 43 *****
Rush- Hemispheres- 41 *****
Rush- Moving Pictures- 30 *****
Rush- Roll the Bones- 45 *****
Rush- Vapor Trails- 41 ****
Bob Seger- Against the Wind- 26 ****
The Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bullocks- 33 **
Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness- 31 *** 1/2
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream- 45 ***
The Smithereens- 11- 37 ** 1/2
Styx- Equinox- 33 **** 1/2
Styx- Grand Illusion- 26 **** 1/2
Styx- Pieces of Eight- 45 **** 1/2
Synergy- Sequencer- 40 *** 1/2
Sum 41- All Killer No Filler 46 ** 1/2
Toto- Isolation- 34 ***
Trapeze- Medusa- 40 ***
The Traveling Wilbur's- Vol. 1- *** 1/2
Robin Trower- Bridge of Sighs- *** 1/2
UFO- Obsession- ***
Uriah Heep- Demons and Wizards- 28 ***
Van Halen- Van Halen- 40 ** 1/2
Weezer- Blue Album- 35 ***
Edgar Winter Group- They Only Come Out at Night- 43 ***
The Who- Tommy- 32 **** 1/2
The Who- Who's Next- 26 *****
Yes- 90125- 44 *****
Yes- Talk- 39 *****
Yes- The Yes Album- 27 *****
Neil Young and Crazy Horse- Rust Never Sleeps- 38 ****
Frank Zappa- Apostrophe- 31 ****
ZZ Top- Eliminator-44 **** 1/2
ZZ Top- Tres Hombres- 28 ****

*- Poor
**- Good
***- Very Good
****- Excellent
*****- Classic, indispensable

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1148 on: December 29, 2023, 03:35:20 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Yes- Going For the One- (1977) *** 1/2

By 1977, Yes had had an almost 3 year hiatus, which in the terms of 1970's Rock and Roll was an almost eternity.  Back in those days the expectation was at least one annually.  And from the perspective, this is one of the weaker efforts from the band, and again after their solo efforts.   Was it the absence of playing together?  Were they rusty? Even with the weakness, the one reason I wanted to cover this one today, is that the two better cuts are so amazingly good. The entire album has some of the best musicanship in their career.  But that level of wizardry doesn't always translate to great listenable music.  A good example I like to use is ELP's Tarkus.  In compostion, and delivery, they reached excellence never ever seen.  But when a band decides to make difficult music without thinking about their listerners?  Even the most hard core prog fans can look the other way.  I am not totally saying Yes turned their back on the fans, but I think one un named member's effort was over represented, and it wasn't even his best work.

Maybe the most endearing and enjoyable aspect of this LP is never ever did the trio of Squire-Wakeman-Howe ever jam so well in snyc.  Well at least in the two best songs.  OTOH, I feel that Anderson's touch was just a little too evident in the songwriting aspects. Anderson has made great music, but when he singularly focuses on the airy, light balladry?  Some Yes fans dig this stuff, but when Jon basically wrestles 60% of artisitc control of the album in this mode?  That is why thought is album is excellent, and  isn't a classic like about 7 or 8 others the band made.  Another point I love to highlight , is this might be the most prevalent that Wakeman used a large church organ in a Yes LP.  I have probably mentioned several times that I think the most beautiful and impressive musical sound on earth is a Huge Church Organ playing at 100 dB in a Major Chord, that is so loud that it rattles not only your sternum, but almost every other bone in your body.  Those sounds give me chills.    Wakeman delivers the goods big time in the 2 epic songs, and in my book are highly overlooked in the annals of Yes Prog Lore.  Wish Emerson had dedicated more of ELP's work to this device.

A lot of fans consider this to be the start of the band's dark period.  This LP, and subsequent Tormato and Drama definitely gave the band a feeling it was in a slump.  I don't consider this a bad LP by any stretch of the imagination, but when sometimes I wonder if the band was just becoming a tad bored, and maybe just meeting record production obligations.   Not musical qualit  as it applies to the craft, but the song writing had just a few  moments, and not continous classics that you expected.  I always believed it took the new blood of Trevor Rabin to reinvigorate Yes into their massively creative self again.  And by 1983, this band was back with a vengenace, and sealed their legendary status for history.

Fun Fact:  Purely anecdotal, but if I can from memory, I remember reading that there was some anamosity by "Going For the One" around the level of success each member got during the hiatus for solo projects.  Did this impact the product quality?  We might never know.

Side 1-
--------- 

Going For the One-  Talk about a weak title track.  Trying to explain what the band was trying to accomplish is difficult.  Howe's slide guitar runs just don't give the band a good feel on what I believe was their attempt to do Mainstream, but give an edgy feel.  Props to Squire though for (as ususal) some great bass work. His work saves the song. Song itself and summation is pointless, and and ill conceived. 3

Turn of the Century- This is Anderson at his iritating balladish worst.  I understand his persona, but I just hate it when he channels his inner Barry Manilow. Howe does do some nice spanish guitar type work.  But I just can't get past sappy Yes.  Well just as long is there are some prog classics canceling it out.  The symphonic like instrumentals at the end are somewhat helpful in saving it.  5

Parallels- First  of the two classics.   Wakeman starts his church organ like a sledge hammer, and the song continously has incredbily complex, beautiful, and mindbogglingly innovative instrumental interplay between Wakeman-Squire-Howe. How they are able to run 3 vocal,  simtaneoously with 3 specific different instrumental patterns is an incredible musical accomplishment.  The chaos created is beyond compreshension in its level of complexity.  But the chaos is so beyond normal creativity.....  Incredible.  2

Side 2-
------------

Wonderous Stories-  (See Turn of the Century) 4

Awaken- One of the most amazing works by the band, and often highly overlooked given the other weaknesses in the LP.  This in its entirety, is the essence of a classic rock symphony. Ever member is equall contributing into what feels feels is a neo-classical work that is just as complex, bearutiful, and moving as much anything made by most of the 18th or 19th century classical masters.  The song moves, ebbs, and flows, into movements capturing a musical lesson for all.  They move keys and time signatures around like a 500 piece puzzle, with incredible ease and flair.  How the song so calibratingly builds upon itself is a exercise of composership that is rare.  Wakeman's organ work here is some of the best of his career.  Close your eyes and let the song take you on a journey.  If you are a Yes fan, and this one isn't on your play list?......   1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl6w--kDPOc

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:06:32 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1149 on: December 29, 2023, 07:33:54 am »
Fun Fact: Maybe the only act I have heard where brothers made up 2 of the 3 members.  Anyone else

Runrig (Scottish group I loved) started by two brothers Calum and Rory Macdonald (and a friend)... My dream group would be a mix of Runrig and Big Country.

Known for being a great live band that put on near perfect live performances (As Big Country did). 30 year career musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l22QWmFdyOI
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....