Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 128441 times)

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2022, 04:04:48 pm »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:43:07 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2022, 04:14:32 pm »
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:27:40 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2022, 04:20:41 pm »
1982 - Survivor - Eye of the Tiger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPJPFnesV4
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:42:48 pm by DefiantMassRINO »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2022, 04:36:24 pm »
1982 - Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7XDoxtBGK0

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2022, 04:39:26 pm »
1982 - Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtuoFv4dcwM

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2022, 04:48:25 pm »
1982 - Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxnN05vOuSM

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2022, 04:54:20 pm »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2022, 04:58:24 pm »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2022, 05:33:54 pm »
1982 - Triumph - Just a Game

Triumph - Another great Canadian band.

1981  -  Fight the Good Fight (Live)

1981  -  Magic Power (Live)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 05:36:14 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #434 on: February 01, 2022, 10:04:14 pm »
Nova was a fantasticly speedy ax, who in the day was quite heralded. Sadly he  has faded over time, and now is almost forgotten.

For years, I had thought Buck Dharma was doing the shredding in one my favorie BOC Songs "Take Me Away". Come to find out Aldo Nova was the master of this solo.  Pan to about 2:50 of this video for an idea.  Got to hand to them, this video is seriously creepy.

Dharma, Bloom, and Nova all playing at once.  That's pretty big.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1NYhbiiiFw
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #435 on: February 01, 2022, 10:34:34 pm »
September 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
4. Police (+1)
5. Foreigner (-1)
6. Rush (No change)
7. Kansas (+10)
8. Bob Seger (-1)
9. Christopher Cross (-1)
10. Asia (-1)
11. Led Zeppelin (No change)
12. Dire Straits (-2)
13. Boston (No change)
14. Jefferson Starship (-2)
15. AC DC (-1)
16. Pat Benetar (+3)
17. April Wine (-1)
18. Sammy Hagar (-3)
19. Cars (+1)
20. Heart (-1)

Concert- September 20, 1982- Toronto and Nazareth Cost on stub $10.00- Enjoyable show that from what I remember was relatively lightly attended.  Nazareth was pretty much in decline. 7 years removed from Hair of the Dog.

Toronto-   Hate to keep infusing sex into a classic rock discussion, but my most striking memory of them was that the two front ladies were in skin tight black leather outfits that were  getting pretty sweaty.  This  in a venue on a late summer like evening in Texas.  I'll just leave it at that.   I do remember they did play their one hit.  And it was pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr4YjXQNYgI&list=RDvr4YjXQNYgI&start_radio=1

Nazareth- . I remember mostly they played the catalog of well known stuff, which was great.  Looked it up, and I noticed the album that this tour was supporting never even made it into the top 100.  Probably why they shied away from new stuff.

Know it's been added once, but here is another live version of their signature song......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef2SLZdhNrY

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 10:35:41 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #436 on: February 01, 2022, 11:49:29 pm »
October 1982 List

1. Styx- No change
2. Journey- No change
4. Kansas (+3)
5. Police (-1)
6. Foreigner (-1)
7. Rush (-1)
8. Fleetwood Mac (New)
9. Bob Seger (-1)
10. Asia (No change)
11. Christopher Cross (-2)
12. Led Zeppelin (-1)
13. Boston (No change)
14. Dire Straits (-2)
15. Jefferson Starship (-1)
16. AC DC (-1)
17. Pat Benetar (-1)
18. April Wine (-1)
19. Cars (No change)
20. Sammy Hagar (-2)

Levels of musicianship seldom reached....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X61swsuCNuw

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #437 on: February 02, 2022, 05:25:07 am »
November 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Jurney (No change)
4. Foreigner (+2)
5. Police (No change)
6. Kansas (-2)
7. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
8. Rush (-1)
9. Bob Seger (No change)
10. Asia (No change)
11. Led Zeppelin (+1)
12. Boston (+1)
13. Christopher Cross (-2)
14. Dire Straits (No change)
15. Cars (+4)
16. Jefferson Starship (-1)
17. AC DC (-1)
18. Pat Benetar (-1)
19. April Wine (-1)
20. Sammy Hagar (No change)

This one's dedicated to all the other musicians out there who understand and appreciate the level of complexity and difficulty in both the songwriting and performance of this great tune.  I uusally lose count at 12 key changes, and 15 time changes.  The way the guys weave in and out with Alex' screeching lead, with the bass line, and insane variable syncopative  percussion?  A masterpiece.  It seems this number would be super difficult to pull off live, but they did it during the '83 and '84 touring. (see below)  Just wish there was an acutal  live video of it being done.

Kid Gloves strangely gets overlooked in the catalog.  To me, it's easy in their 10-15 best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbWGL_1mDQI
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 05:26:14 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2022, 06:09:36 am »
December 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (+1)
3. Journey (-1)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Kansas (+1)
6. Police (-1)
7. Led Zeppelin (+4)
8. Rush (No change)
9. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
10. Bob Seger (-1)
11. Asia (-1)
12. Boston (No change)
13. Pat Benetar (+5)
14. Cars (+1)
15. Christopher Cross (-2)
16. Dire Straits (-2)
17. Jefferson Starship (-1)
18. Men at Work (New)
19. Sammy Hagar (+1)
20. AC DC (-3)

Men at Work- . Aussie band with short term success with the one album that had a couple of big catchy hits that were pushed by MTV heavy rotation.  How else would we know what a Vegimite Sandwich was?  2nd and 3rd albums sucked, and these guys faded into oblivion.

If you are over 50, and don't remember this...  Check the rock you were hiding under for over insulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

Concert- Billy Squier and The Who- December 3, 1982.  Cost on stub- $18.50

Billy Squier- Remember it being maybe a half an hour set, but got to hear "The Stroke".  Big and cool enough to make the soundtrack of Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Great opening.

The Who- There aren't many legends out there bigger than The Who.  Even today, The Who along with Rush and few other bands, are my most listened to acts. From near beginning of the British Invasion, to Woodstock, to 1st Two Rock Operas, and beyond......   To give you an idea, I think I have somewhere between 30-40 of their tunes on my Ipod.  Seeing true music legends was a great treat.  As I mentioned before the Astrodome was not the best of venues due to distortion, but I didn't care.....   This was The f--king Who.

For sample?  How about the entire concert?  Sound on YT video is poor, but this is what I heard......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2_uefiKemE

My Generation
Substitute
Dangerous
Sister Disco
The Quiet One
It's Hard
Eminence Front
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley
I Can't Explain
Naked Eye
Drowned
Cry If You Want
Who Are You
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
5:15
Love, Reign O'er Me
Long Live Rock
Won't Get Fooled Again
Love Ain't for Keepin'
Squeeze Box
Twist and Shout

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2022, 07:29:33 am »
January 1983 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Kansas (+1)
5. Foreigner (-1)
6. Loverboy (New)
7. Police (-1)
8. Led Zeppelin (-1)
9. Rush (-1)
10. Pat Benetar (+3)
11. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
12. Bob Seger (-2)
13. Asia (-2)
14. Boston (-2)
15. Jefferson Starship (+2)
16. Christopher Cross (-1)
17. Dire Straits (-1)
18. Cars (-4)
19. Men at Work (-1)
20. Go Go's (New)

Loverboy- . Another good band from Canada, and it seems like the early '80's were the Canuck hay day. April Wine, among others.   Hard rock with great hooks and best played loud.  According to wiki, they charted 12 singles in the U.S. in the Top 40 in 6 years and 4 albums.   Not too shabby if you ask me.

Lots to choose from, I'll pick this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uquv6qTPOBw

The Go Go's-. A lot of people thought the Go Go's were a gimmick band.  No all girl band had really been taken seriously since the Runaways.  But honestly, they weren't that bad.  Carlisle had a great voice, and she ended up with the most success with a solo career.

I know the songwriting was a tad weak, but they put together a few good songs that got a whole lot of air play.  They had a new wave tint, at the time the style was starting to wane.  They only made 3 albums, so I was really pissed that they were inducted in the HOF in '21, when so many older greater more epic and prolific bands have been overlooked.  It was definitley a bull shit "woke" induction.

For a sample, I'll go with the biggest hit on their second album........  Wanna a clue of how near amateur some of their members were?  When a rock drummer  has to count candence on fills, you get the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RHTiXvELNg

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2022, 01:50:31 pm »

This one's dedicated to all the other musicians out there who understand and appreciate the level of complexity and difficulty in both the songwriting and performance of this great tune.  I uusally lose count at 12 key changes, and 15 time changes.  The way the guys weave in and out with Alex' screeching lead, with the bass line, and insane variable syncopative  percussion?  A masterpiece.  It seems this number would be super difficult to pull off live, but they did it during the '83 and '84 touring. (see below)  Just wish there was an acutal  live video of it being done.

Kid Gloves strangely gets overlooked in the catalog.  To me, it's easy in their 10-15 best.

Cool beans.  Can't believe I hadn't heard that one before.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2022, 01:55:30 pm »
1982  -  Steve Miller Band

Abracadabra (Live, '82)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2022, 02:00:48 pm »
Cool beans.  Can't believe I hadn't heard that one before.

Kind of shaded from view/listen  considering Red Sector A, Analog Kid, and Distant Early Warning are on the same album. We'll have to do a Rush Sleeper Post at some point. So much of their catalog would be hits for other bands, but get missed with Rush.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2022, 02:04:09 pm »
1982  -  The Clash

Should I Stay or Should I Go

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2022, 02:07:18 pm »
No love for Little Feat?  Am I the only fan here?  Lowell George is da shizzle.

@Hoodat

Willin' is my jam.

Linda Ronstadt did a great version too.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #445 on: February 02, 2022, 02:10:48 pm »
1982  -  Lou Reed

Waves of Fear (Live, '84)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #446 on: February 02, 2022, 02:12:48 pm »
@Hoodat

Willin' is my jam.

Linda Ronstadt did a great version too.
@Free Vulcan

The immortal Lowell George

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #447 on: February 02, 2022, 02:16:55 pm »
1982  -  Dire Straits

Industrial Disease

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #448 on: February 02, 2022, 02:20:36 pm »
February 1983 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Kansas (No change)
5. Foreigner (No change)
6. Pat Benetar (+5)
7. Led Zeppelin (+1)
8. Loverboy (-2)
9. Police (-2)
10. Rush (-1)
11. Bob Seger (+1)
12. Toto (New)
13. Asia (No change)
14. Boston (No change)
15. Fleetwood Mac (-4)
16. Little River Band (New)
17. Jefferson Starship (-2)
18. Men at Work (+1)
19. Christopher Cross (-3)
20. Dire Straits (-3)

Little River Band-  Aussie pop rock band, for when you are in the mood.  Pretty bland in retrospect, but still some solid Top 40 fodder....  again, if you are in the mood.   If I have to add a sample....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szlqFlG4DL8&list=PLXUxMP5z_ELnfWisdGM0dBlnnaIPG7n-_&index=2

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #449 on: February 02, 2022, 02:25:02 pm »
1983  -  REM debuts

Talk About the Passion

Radio Free Europe

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-