Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 127600 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #400 on: January 31, 2022, 02:32:37 pm »
1981  -  The Who

Another Tricky Day

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #401 on: January 31, 2022, 02:40:21 pm »
1981  -  The Police

Invisible Sun

Demolition Man

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #402 on: January 31, 2022, 02:43:35 pm »
1981  -  .38 Special

Wild-Eyed Southern Boys

Hold On Loosely

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2022, 02:49:47 pm »
1981  -  The Dixie Dregs

Cruise Control  (combination of Jazz and Southern rock)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2022, 02:52:24 pm »
1981  -  The Cars

Since You're Gone

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #405 on: January 31, 2022, 03:00:36 pm »
1980  -  Robbin Thompson Band

Candy Apple Red

Looking for a home run, but getting thrown out at the plate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 03:01:50 pm by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #406 on: January 31, 2022, 03:05:11 pm »
1975  -  Head East

Never Been Any Reason

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #407 on: January 31, 2022, 03:21:12 pm »
March 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (No change)
3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Journey (No change)
5. Bob Seger (No change)
6. Rush (No change)
7. Dire Straits (No change)
8. Led Zeppelin (No change)
9. Jefferson Starship (+1)
10. Boston (-1)
11. AC DC (No change)
12. Pat Benetar (+3)
13. Kansas (No change)
14. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
15. REO Speedwagon (-1)
16. Cars (+3)
17. Eagles (-1)
18. Police (-1)
19. Tom Petty (-1)
20. Billy Joel (No change)

This is still 3 years away for TP, but just love how it just expounds on the variability of Petty/Heartbreakers  talents.... Some band have and have not aged well with the test of time.  Tom Petty is like an old fine vintage wine.  Better each listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0JvF9vpqx8
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #408 on: January 31, 2022, 10:02:57 pm »
1977  -  Boston

Hitch a Ride

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #409 on: January 31, 2022, 10:34:29 pm »
No love for Little Feat?  Am I the only fan here?  Lowell George is da shizzle.

I love the live version of "Dixie Chicken".

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #410 on: January 31, 2022, 10:38:52 pm »
Dixie Chicken (Live)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #411 on: January 31, 2022, 10:44:47 pm »
I used to have some bootleg Little Feat album called Chinese Bejeezus.  Never saw another copy of it anywhere.

Two Trains

All That You Dream

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #412 on: January 31, 2022, 11:48:36 pm »
April 1982 List

1. Styx- No change
2. Journey (+2)
3. Foreigner- (No change)
4. Neil Young (-2)
5. Rush (+1)
6. Bob Seger (-1)
8. Led Zeppelin (No change)
9. Jefferson Starship (No change)
10. Boston (No change)
11. Christopher Cross (New)
12. Fleetwood Mac (+2)
13. AC DC (-2)
14. Pat Benetar (-2)
15. Joan Jett- New
16. Kansas (-3)
17. REO Speedwagon- (-2)
18. Police (No change)
19. Cars (-3)
20. Eagles (-3)

Joan Jett- An alum of the old full girl rock band The Runaways.   Hardest rocking lady of the ladies.  Very straight forward rock and roll, and got some pretty big hits in the early to mid '80's.  Cover of Crimson and Clover, I Love Rock and Roll, and this one.....  She was a sexy rock star, and milked it well on stage.  Too bad she hagged out on us, and became a left wing advocate.  Sheesh, too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSqp-W1pWoU

And drum roll.....

Concert- April 5, 1982 Rigg and Rush- Price on stub- $10.50.-  This by far was the greatest and most favorite concert event in my entire life.  Show was mesmerizing.  It was surreal seeing such precision, talent, and musicianship in a 2 hour period.  Visuals were so beyond their times, as it was supporting the Moving Pictures tour.  Which critically is considered  among their best.

So hard to explain how great it was.  As I got older, I kept saying I  wanted to attend another Rush concert, but let time get away, and now that will never happen.  Did find the set list, and it as follows.  Also am adding a video/concert of as I remembered them.

2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
Freewill
Limelight
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude
Beneath, Between & Behind
Subdivisions
The Camera Eye
YYZ
Drum Solo
Broon's Bane
The Trees
The Analog Kid
The Spirit of Radio
Red Barchetta
Closer to the Heart
Tom Sawyer
Vital Signs
Working Man
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon
By-Tor & The Snow Dog
In the End
In the Mood
2112 Part VII: Grand Finale
La Villa Strangiato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0xkMfiHIec
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 11:49:42 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #413 on: February 01, 2022, 12:28:10 am »
Concert- April 5, 1982 Rigg and Rush- Price on stub- $10.50.-  This by far was the greatest and most favorite concert event in my entire life.  Show was mesmerizing.  It was surreal seeing such precision, talent, and musicianship in a 2 hour period.  Visuals were so beyond their times, as it was supporting the Moving Pictures tour.  Which critically is considered  among their best.

I saw that same tour.  Riggs and Rush in Jackson, MS around the same time.  They did La Villa Strangiato for their finale.  Had seen the Rolling Stones in the Superdome a couple of months prior.  And yes, that Rush concert was one of the best ever.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #414 on: February 01, 2022, 07:38:19 am »
I saw that same tour.  Riggs and Rush in Jackson, MS around the same time.  They did La Villa Strangiato for their finale.  Had seen the Rolling Stones in the Superdome a couple of months prior.  And yes, that Rush concert was one of the best ever.

From what I am seeing in the Concert database, your concert was 3 days before mine......

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #415 on: February 01, 2022, 08:29:29 am »
May 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (+1)
4. Foreigner (-1)
5. Rush (No change)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
8. Christopher Cross (+3)
9. Led Zeppelin (-1)
10. Boston (No change)
11. Asia (New)
12. Jefferson Starship (-3)
13. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
14. AC DC (-1)
15. Police (+3)
16. Pat Benetar (-2)
17. Kansas (-1)
18 Joan Jett (-3)
19. REO Speedwagon (-2)
20. Cars (-1)

Asia- . Heat of the Moment is an epic song by this Prog Supergroup formed from the ashes of Yes, ELP. and King Crimson.  In theory, you would think this was the ultimate prog group.  And I do grant, that a few of their songs are pretty damned good.  But as a Band, they exploded at the onset, and then fizzled almost as fast afterwards  This seemed like more forced corporate record company formula and product, than sweat equity and heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvdYll1euGU

Concert- May 31, 1982,  UFO, Grand Funk Railroad, and Jim Dandy- Price on stub- $8.50

After being spoiled a month earlier, this next endeavor was not good at all.  On the surface, you would have thought this would be a great concert.....   but as far as I was concerned, the band that headlined, should have been the opener.

For starts, UFO came out for good short set....  played their known hits....   Over.

Secondly, the main reason I wanted to come to this thing is to see Grand Funk, who as far as I was concerned were legends of early U.S Hard Rock.  Set was freakin' 3 songs!!!!!!!!  I was glad one was I'm Your Captain, but geez... 

Then Jim Dandy and Ruby (minus Black Oak) comes out and growls through an hour and a half of distortion, and crotch rubbing. Ugh...     Left before encore, to give you an idea of what I thought of this debacle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_t59To7Snk

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #416 on: February 01, 2022, 08:58:44 am »
June 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Bob Seger (+1)
6. Rush (-1)
7. Christopher Cross (+1)
8. Dire Straits (-1)
9. Led Zeppelin (No change)
10. Boston (No change)
11. Jefferson Starship (-1)
12. Asia (-1)
13. Kansas (+4)
14. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
15. Pat Benetar (-1)
16. AC DC (-2)
17. Police (-2)
18. Sammy Hagar (New)
19. Cars (+1)
20. REO Speedwagon (-1)

Sammy Hagar-.   The Red Rocker's career is basically sliced into thirds.  1st he was the grit behind Montrose, and really help make that band into a '70's staple. Secondly, he had successful solo career, for which I feel embodies his best work. And last he and what he is most known for is the singer of Van Halen.  Also part of the most argued points  of debae in rock history.  Roth or Hagar!!!!!.  I was always disappointed EVH didn't utilize Sammy's awesome Ax skills into some of Van Halen's act.  Can you imagine how some tradional mid '70's like guitar dueling would have sounded?  Prob the best since Clapton/Allman. My theory was EVH's ego often got into the way of the band's direction.  But this is about Hagar, and his contributions can't be overlooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KMLLZF2qI0

Concert- Texas World Music Festival '82- June 13, 1982---  Point Blank, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Sammy Hagar, Santana, Journey- Price on stub- $18.50-

This was my first and last foray into all day music venues. I think you all know how much I enjoy music, and concerts, but watching for 12 hours wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.  First the negative,  and most of all....   The Astrodome really sucks as a music venue.  Echos, distortion, and virbrating rafters are not conducive to a good concert experience.  Then add the fact I had a girl friend who could consume a lot of beer in 12 hours.  Had to deal with that distraction too.  But yeah, it was worth it, seeing this caliber and volume of great acts. 

Every act was really good.  and I guessing there was probably 50,000 people there. 

And to cap it all off, I asked the girlfriend to put our parking lot number location in her purse, and somehow that got lost during the day. We didn't get on I-610 until 2:30 in the morning.  Man, I should have went by myself.   :cool:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #417 on: February 01, 2022, 01:58:12 pm »
July 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
4. Foreigner ((No change)
5. Police (+12)
6. Bob Seger (-1)
7. Rush (-1)
8. Christopher Cross (-1)
9. Dire Straits (-1)
10. Asia (+2)
11. Led Zeppelin (-2)
12. Boston (-2)
13. Jefferson Starship (-2)
14. Kansas (-1)
15. Heart (New)
16. Pat Benetar (-1)
17. AC DC (-1)
18. Fleetwood Mac (-4)
19. Cars (No change)
20. REO Speedwagon

How about some morning jolt with your coffee.  In the beginning at a rock concert long long ago, Ann used to get more camera time than Nancy for good reason.  Gorgeous Rocker!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeMvMNpvB5M

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #418 on: February 01, 2022, 03:06:01 pm »
August 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Police (No change)
6. Rush (+1)
7. Bob Seger (-1)
8. Christopher Cross (No change)
9. Asia (+1)
10. Dire Straits (-1)
11. Led Zeppelin (+1)
12. Jefferson Starship (+1)
13. Boston (-1)
14. AC DC (+3)
15. Sammy Hagar (New)
16. April Wine (New)
17. Kansas (-3)
18. Pat Benetar (-2)
19. Heart (-4)
20. Cars (-1)

April Wine- Easy a top 10 of all time Canadian Band, who got a lot of success in Canada in the mid '70's. but didn't catch on over here until the early '80's.  They like so many other bands fell off the cliff in the U.S., after hitting the top.  But those loyal Canadians kept on, keeping on, and these guys far as Canada were still making hits even into the early '90's.  My biggest gripe?  Like some others, I really cringe when I see bands that have as many compliation albums (15) as they do studio albums (16).  What I call the Creedence Syndrome. Milk it bubba.

Here is the one, most of you most probably remember.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcY_enzwmI

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2022, 03:15:00 pm »
1982  -  Aerosmith  -  Rock in a Hard Place album

Lightning Strikes

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2022, 03:18:35 pm »
1982  -  Rainbow

Stone Cold

Tearing Out My Heart (Live, '82)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2022, 03:22:53 pm »
1982  -  Whitesnake

Here I Go Again (Live, '83)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #422 on: February 01, 2022, 03:31:18 pm »
1982  -  Van Halen  -  Diver Down album.  A couple of good covers

Intruder / Pretty Woman

Dancing In the Street

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:25:39 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #424 on: February 01, 2022, 03:58:36 pm »
1982 - Billy Squier - Everybody Wants You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-oNajGRoOQ
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 04:43:52 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.