Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 126152 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #325 on: January 28, 2022, 01:49:22 am »
1980  -  Pete Townshend

Rough Boys (w/video clips from Quadrophenia)

Let My Love Open the Door

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2022, 01:55:28 am »
1980  -  John Lennon

Cleanup Time

Watching the Wheels

People asking questions lost in confusion
Well I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
Well they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
I tell them there's no hurry . . . I'm just sitting here doing time
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #327 on: January 28, 2022, 01:57:58 am »
1980  -  Steve Winwood

While You See a Chance

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2022, 02:01:55 am »
1980  -  Peter Gabriel

Games Without Frontiers

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #329 on: January 28, 2022, 02:05:39 am »
1980  -  The Police

De Do Do Do De Da Da Da (Live, '80)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #330 on: January 28, 2022, 02:09:39 am »
1980  -  The Rolling Stones

She's So Cold

Dance (Pt. 1)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2022, 02:17:07 am »
1980  -  Van Halen

Everybody Wants Some
(Video is from my favorite Christmas movie)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #332 on: January 28, 2022, 02:19:47 am »
1980  -  Alan Parsons Project

Games People Play

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #333 on: January 28, 2022, 02:23:43 am »
1980  -  Yes

Does It Really Happen

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #334 on: January 28, 2022, 02:28:06 am »
1980  -  Genesis

Turn It On Again

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #335 on: January 28, 2022, 02:35:32 am »
1980  -  Black Sabbath

Heaven and Hell

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #336 on: January 28, 2022, 02:39:58 am »
1980  -  Ozzy Osborne

Crazy Train

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #337 on: January 28, 2022, 02:45:57 am »
1980  -  Dire Straits

Solid Rock (Live, '80)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2022, 02:52:12 am »
1980  -  Blue Oyster Cult

The Marshall Plan (Live, '80)

Black Blade

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #339 on: January 28, 2022, 02:58:35 am »
1980  -  U2 debuts

I Will Follow

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #340 on: January 28, 2022, 03:24:36 am »
1979  -  John Cougar

I Need a Lover

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #341 on: January 28, 2022, 04:30:01 am »
December 1980 List

1. Styx- (No change)
2. Neil Young (+1)
3. Journey (-1)
4. Cars (No change)
5. Boston (No change)
6. Led Zeppelin (+1)
7. Toto (+1)
8. Pat Benetar (+1)
9. Tom Petty (-3)
10. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
11. Queen (+2)
12. Eagles (+1)
13. The Who (New)
14. Kinks (-2)
15. Rush (-1)
16. Off Broadway (-1)
17. Emerson Lake and Palmer (New)
18. Foreigner (No change)
19. Kansas (New)
20. Bob Seger (-4)

In honor of my half-hillbilly heritage.......  Get on board.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP8TcK3QiAw

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #342 on: January 28, 2022, 06:25:02 am »
January 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
4. Pat Benetar (+4)
5. Cars (-1)
6. Boston (-1)
7. Led Zeppelin (-1)
8. The Dictators (New)
9. Toto (-2)
10. Tom Petty (-1)
11. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
12. Eagles (No change)
13. The Who (No change)
14. Off Broadway (+2)
15. Kinks (-1)
16. Rush (-1)
17. Kansas (+2)
18. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
19. Queen (-8)
20. Foreigner (-2)

The Dictators-. How about some more obscurity?  This is a hard rocking punk band, kind of in the vein of the Ramones.  According to their wiki page, only one of their albums charted, and charted at #193.  Surprised they didn't have more success, considering how big raw punk become with the almost instantaneous infusion of the Ramones and Sex Pistols.  Here is 3 that I remember that got air play back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKd65C6jvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnDXPbUCK60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMTAatF6FOI
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2022, 01:29:08 pm »
February 1981 list

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
4. Pat Benetar (No change)
5. Cars (No change)
6. Boston (No change)
7. Led Zeppelin (No change)
8. Toto (+1)
9. Fleetwood Mac (+2)
10. Tom Petty (No change)
11. Eagles (+1)
12. Dictators (-4)
13. The Who (No change)
14. Off Broadway (No change)
15. Rush (+2)
16. Kinks (-1)
17. Kansas (No Change)
18. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
19. Foreigner (+1)
20. Queen (-1)

Concert- Christopher Cross - February 12, 1981-  Part III of making a girl friend happy.  But I will have to admit, it was a pretty good concert to take a date to.  Pretty talented soft rock crooner , if you are really into that.  Career was a pretty much the proverbial flash in the pan.  Chart buster out the gate, and then fell off a cliff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzgQoGvSKA4

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2022, 05:48:09 pm »
March 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
4. Pat Benetar (No change)
5. Boston (+1)
6. Cars (-1)
7. Led Zeppelin (No change)
8. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
9. Toto (-1)
10. Eagles (+1)
11. Dictators (+1)
12. Tom Petty (-2)
13. Kansas (+4)
14. Off Broadway (No change)
15. Rush (No change)
16. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+2)
17. The Who (-4)
18. Kinks (-2)
19. REO Speedwagon (New)
20. Queen (No change)

REO Speedwagon- If you are a classic rock fan, I'd bet there is a pretty good probability that you have the 1980 Hi-Infidelity.  Album incredibly charted 3 Top 25 and one No. 1.  But to facts, REO actually went back to the early '70's.  Pretty much almost their 1st decade of existence, they were infamously the 2nd or 3rd act in concerts throughout the country.  They basically ran their career on one really good tune "Riding the Storm Out", along with a couple of middle  rocking bluesey tunes.  But their epitah is lined with the "Journey Effect". Get drunk on some short term pop-rock success.  After their moment in the sun in the early to mid '80's they rightfully fell out of view.

In spite my own disliking of giving overplayed hyped samples.....   Here is their signature tune that did hit No.1. Leave it to these guys to over cheese it. (sorry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzNZ1c5C9c

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2022, 10:36:13 pm »
REO Speedwagon- If you are a classic rock fan, I'd bet there is a pretty good probability that you have the 1980 Hi-Infidelity.  Album incredibly charted 3 Top 25 and one No. 1.  But to facts, REO actually went back to the early '70's.  Pretty much almost their 1st decade of existence, they were infamously the 2nd or 3rd act in concerts throughout the country.  They basically ran their career on one really good tune "Riding the Storm Out", along with a couple of middle  rocking bluesey tunes.

This one is from 1971:

157 Riverside Avenue

I was not a fan of Hi Infidelity.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2022, 10:52:55 pm »
1980  -  Rush, Permanent Waves album.

Spirit of Radio (Live, '84)

Entre Nous

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2022, 10:59:47 pm »
1980  -  AC/DC  -  Back in Black album (post Bon Scott)
Super album.  Not a bad song on it.

Shoot to Thrill

You Shook Me All Night Long

Let Me Put My Love Into You

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2022, 11:32:16 pm »

I was not a fan of Hi Infidelity.

Good cheesy catchy hooks in 1981 do not make for a good listen in 2022.

Not a fan now for sure.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2022, 11:38:52 pm »
1980  -  Rush, Permanent Waves album.

Words can not describe how great I think this album is.  I just can't hide it.

When this isn't even the best song on the album?   Dang!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EndaI-okEIc

Natural Science Live....  From Permanent Waves
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:41:41 pm by catfish1957 »