Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 126674 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2022, 11:57:46 pm »
1979  -  Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, Sheik Yerbouti album

Broken Hearts Are For Assholes (Live)

Flakes

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #276 on: January 25, 2022, 12:11:33 am »
1979  -  The Police

Message in a Bottle (Live '79)

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #277 on: January 25, 2022, 01:50:46 am »
Wow did you bring back memories.

I saw Jimi at the San Antonio Hemisphere in May 1970 a few months prior to his departing from this earth.  I know as it cost me $4 for the ticket and I still have the stub.

We’re not worthy. We’re not worthy.  8888forgot
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline libertybele

« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2022, 02:09:16 am »
March 1979 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Rush (+4)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Van Halen (-2)
8. Kansas (-1)
9. Led Zeppelin (-1)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Moody Blues (No change)
12. ToTo (New)
13. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
14. Foghat (-2)
15. Fleetwoo Mac (-1)
16. Bad Company (-1)
17. Eddie Money (New)
18. Chicago (-1)
19. Steve Miller Band (-1)
20. Ted Nugent (-4)

Vinyl/Tapes Added

Heart- Dreamboat Annie

Toto- A general session-"ist" type of band formed of good musicians.  They are fusion of many styles including straight forward rock, with tinges of prog, and jazz style.  Kind of an uneven career.  1st and 5th albums are very very good.  But it is the 4th one that this band will be remembered for (IV) That album included Rosanna and Africa.  I think the album had sold about 10-15M units.  Huge, including Grammies, if memory serves.  After Isolation, as far as I am concerned they fell off the musical earth.

An anecdotal item on this band too.  In my first job out college, I worked for the State Dept. of Health.  Part of my many duties was to inspect Day Cares.  One day, I just happened to check this one place in Vinton, Louisiana, and it happened to be Lead Singer Bobby Kimball's mother.  She had a Platinum album on the wall, so that was pretty cool to see.

As far as samples, from ToTo, I am going to add one of their biggest hit, and then go with a couple more obscure ones I really liked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

On this one, Deadwood fans might notice their favorite Doc here (The fugitive)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeldKAqM-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CA6X0Zx3lg

Eddie Money- . Another great Rock and Roller we lost in the past few years.  Money made Crooners cool again, and put together a solid base of hits and music. Master of hooks, and great showman.   Seeing Ronnie Spector die recently brought back a lot of memories of the Money Man.  Here are a couple of my favorites. 

My second serious girlfriend was a dead ringer for the lady in this video...  Looks and temperment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdYRq8-6kM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FtHhUDo-08

We actually saw Eddie Money at our local city fair.  It was such a shame and so pathetic.  He came staggering onto stage and they had to take him off stage.  He staggered back onto the stage about a half hour later, sang (slurred) two songs and left for the remainder of the night.  So sad.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #279 on: January 25, 2022, 02:29:52 am »
We actually saw Eddie Money at our local city fair.  It was such a shame and so pathetic.  He came staggering onto stage and they had to take him off stage.  He staggered back onto the stage about a half hour later, sang (slurred) two songs and left for the remainder of the night.  So sad.
Sounds like the Joe Cocker Concert I didn't go to in VA in the early 70s. It was one I was glad I didn't make.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2022, 04:11:34 am »
March 1979, Van Halen releases their second album.

Women in Love

Dance the Night Away

Bottoms Up

Beautiful Girls

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #281 on: January 25, 2022, 04:17:45 am »
Also March 1979, Supertramp releases Breakfast in America album.

Take the Long Way Home (Live, '79)

The Logical Song (Live, '79)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2022, 04:27:02 am »
1979  -  Talking Heads, Life During Wartime (Live)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #283 on: January 25, 2022, 09:06:13 am »
May 1979 List

1.Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Rush (No change)
5. Led Zeppelin (+2)
6. Foreigner (No change)
7. Van Halen (+1)
8. Bob Seger (-3)
9. Bad Company (+7)
10. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-2)
11. Eagles (-1)
12. Kansas (-3)
13. Toto (No change)
14. Moody Blues (-3)
15. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
16. Foghat (-1)
17. Chicago (No change)
18. Steve Miller Band (+1)
19. Bachman Turner Overdrive (New)
20. Ted Nugent (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added-

Bad Company - Desolation Angels
The Cars- Self Titled
Styx- Equinox

About 10 years ago, Styx (minus DeYoung) decided on this so novel way of replaying the aboslute best of their glory days.  Playing in concert in album form and orer of their two greatest works....  Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight.  These two albums dominated my turntable in the 1977-1979 timeframe. These were unbelievably strong and consistent works.   Wish more classic rock bands had done this.  One disclaimer, .....This singer is not Dennis DeYoung, but well worth a listen, if you are into this band or era

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QfV55XOLg&t=3757s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2022, 01:58:40 pm »
We’re not worthy. We’re not worthy.  8888forgot
Thank you.  I was 18 with money burning a hole in my pocket.  So I took 3 hours of wages working in a grocery store and drove to San Antonio with my 17 year old brother.

BTW, I like your tagline
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #285 on: January 25, 2022, 02:25:32 pm »
Thank you.  I was 18 with money burning a hole in my pocket.  So I took 3 hours of wages working in a grocery store and drove to San Antonio with my 17 year old brother.

BTW, I like your tagline

A wise investment of memories.  Not that many people left alive that can say they saw Hendrix live.  Especially us in Texas.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #286 on: January 25, 2022, 03:18:01 pm »
June 1979 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Led Zeppelin (+1)
5. Rush (-1)
6. Foreigner (No change)
7. Van Halen (No change)
8. Bad Company (+1)
9. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
10. Bob Seger (-2)
11. Eagles (No change)
12. The Cars (New)
13. Kansas (-1)
14. Moody Blues (No change)
15. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
16. Foghat (No change)
17. Chicago (No Change)
18. ToTo (-5)
19. Steve Miller (-1)
20. Ted Nugent (No change)

Vinyl/Tape added

None

It is easy to forget how big Grand Funk Railroad was 50 years ago.  This concert actually broke the Beatles record at Shea Stadium, with all 55,000 tickets being sold out in 72 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_t59To7Snk

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #287 on: January 25, 2022, 03:27:46 pm »
I know I added a different version of this tune earlier.  But this one has a different feel to it.  Too bad music doesn't sound like this anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OdvxTZRPE

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #288 on: January 25, 2022, 04:05:15 pm »
A wise investment of memories.  Not that many people left alive that can say they saw Hendrix live.  Especially us in Texas.

If you've seen SRV live, then you've seen Jimi Hendrix.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:07:26 pm by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #289 on: January 25, 2022, 04:19:09 pm »
1979  -  The Knack debuts.

My Sharona

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #290 on: January 25, 2022, 04:48:30 pm »
July 1979 List

1. Boston (No change)
2. Van Halen (+5)
3. Styx- (-1)
4. Aerosmith (-1)
5. Led Zeppelin (-1)
6. Foreigner (No change)
7. Rush (-2)
8. Bad Company (No change)
9. Bob Seger (+1)
10. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
11. Eagles (No change)
12. Fleetwood Mac (+3)
13. Cars (-1)
14. Kansas (-1)
15. Moody Blues (-1)
16. Foghat (No change)
17. Steve Miller Band (+2)
18. ToTo (No change)
19. Chicago (-2)
20. Alice Cooper (New)

Vinyl/Tapes added

None

There have been three Rock Star deaths that to me have been like a gut punch.  (1) John Lennon in 1980, (2) Tom Petty in 2017, and Neil Peart in 2020.  I knew 2020 was going to suck as a year, when the year started Peart died January 7, 2020.  This clip is a beaurtifully done tribute that has been carefully placed chronologially (with just a couple brief exceptions) done to Rush's most powerful and beautiful ballads.  Kind of tough to watch for me......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWoMIlivrtU&list=RDGMEMqVetBnAeSrX23ZFXTAT5hgVMs5BJXwNeKsQ&index=2

« Reply #291 on: January 25, 2022, 06:44:39 pm »
@catfish1957 - perusing the last couple of days since I found this thread gives me hope of bettering your record of consecutive wins against opponents in Alexa Song quiz.

As long as I do not have to play you.

Some of these obscure songs like My Sharona are some of the ones I like best.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #292 on: January 25, 2022, 06:48:09 pm »
@catfish1957 - perusing the last couple of days since I found this thread gives me hope of bettering your record of consecutive wins against opponents in Alexa Song quiz.

Don't forget Wierd Al's parody rendition: "My Bologna"!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #293 on: January 25, 2022, 07:15:00 pm »

Pull the plug when Alexa says.....   Catfish ....  From Texas.  :cool:

Of course, I think my strongest streak in the '60's is about 12 games, and about 75 games in the ;80's.

'90's, 00's, etc?  I am lucky to guess one right.

Offline berdie

« Reply #294 on: January 25, 2022, 08:35:40 pm »
July 1979 List

There have been three Rock Star deaths that to me have been like a gut punch.  (1) John Lennon in 1980, (2) Tom Petty in 2017, and Neil Peart in 2020.  I knew 2020 was going to suck as a year, when the year started Peart died January 7, 2020.  This clip is a beaurtifully done tribute that has been carefully placed chronologially (with just a couple brief exceptions) done to Rush's most powerful and beautiful ballads.  Kind of tough to watch for me......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWoMIlivrtU&list=RDGMEMqVetBnAeSrX23ZFXTAT5hgVMs5BJXwNeKsQ&index=2

I'm so glad that clip included the size and scope of his drum kits.

I like to watch reruns of the Ed Sullivan Show. I always find it interesting that the big name bands in the 60's-70's featured stripped down kits. (easier to transport, I guess) but developed into monsters over the years.

« Reply #295 on: January 25, 2022, 09:30:38 pm »
Pull the plug when Alexa says.....   Catfish ....  From Texas.  :cool:

Of course, I think my strongest streak in the '60's is about 12 games, and about 75 games in the ;80's.

'90's, 00's, etc?  I am lucky to guess one right.
I wish they had a venue over the period I listened 1965-1975.  I would rock

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #296 on: January 26, 2022, 03:03:16 am »
Don't forget Wierd Al's parody rendition: "My Bologna"!

Or Cheech and Chong's "My Scrotum".

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2022, 03:15:35 am »
1979  -  Molly Hatchet

One Man's Pleasure (Live, '79)

Boogie No More

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2022, 03:27:57 am »
1979  -  AC/DC releases Highway to Hell album.  Seven months later, Bon Scott chokes to death on his own vomit.

Highway to Hell

If You Want Blood, You Got It (Live '79)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2022, 03:35:50 am »
1979  -  Motorhead  -  Damage Case

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-