Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 115905 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2022, 05:06:09 am »
Great story.  What memories!!!  (We weren't allowed near the HiFi).

Neither could I.  This was a special occasion.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2022, 05:24:25 am »
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 05:35:19 am by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2022, 05:34:36 am »
November 1975 List

1. Black Sabbath (+1)
2. Led Zeppelin (+1)
3. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
4. BTO (-3)
5. The Who (No change)
6. Aerosmith (+1)
7. Chicago (-1)
8. Kiss (+7)
9. Bad Company (-1)
10. Trapeze (New)
11. Deep Purple (-2)
12. Alice Cooper (-2)
13. Queen (-1)
14. Mott the Hoople (-3)
15. Golden Earring (-2)
16. Lou Reed (New)
17. Robin Trower (New)
18. Uriah Heeo (-2)
19. ZZ Top (+1)
20. Montrose (New)

Vinyl/Tape Additions

None

Trapeze- Solid MOR band that got a lot of air play in the mid '70's. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-h57LD15ow

Lou Reed- - Velvet Underground Singer who got under Bowie's wing for a strong mid to late '70's run. Most of you probably most remember him from his Velvet Underground reprise "Sweet Jane", which actually on this album was better than the original

And of course most was remembered for "Walk on the Wild Side"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdWPeHFAMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG6fayQBm9w

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2022, 06:13:40 am »
December 1975 List

1. Black Sabbath (No Change)
2. Led Zeppelin (No change)
3. The Who (+2)
4. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
5. Kiss (+3)
6. Aerosmith (No change)
7. BTO (-3)
8. Bad Company (+1)
9. Chicago (-2)
10. Queen (+3)
11. Foghat (New)
12. Alice Cooper (No Change)
13. Deep Purple (-2)
14. Golden Earring (+1)
15. Trapeze (-5)
16. Mott the Hoople (-2)
17. Robin Trower (No change)
18. Montrose (+2)
19. Black Oak (New)
20. ZZ Top (No change)

Vinyl/Tape additions- None

Uneventful month-  Will use this post to cover what I feel is the most iconic rock film clip in history.  Enjoy if you have never seen it.  I'll even provide a narrative.   :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVN8_7wVSG0

0:08- Jimi provides PSA that the next 7 minutes might be hazardous to your hearing
1:05 -Some can't chew gun and walk at the same time.  Hendrix OTOH, gives prehistoric lesson on using feedback for R&R, and chews gum.
2:20- Jimi is the best?  Heck he has the 3rd best 'Fro in the band.
2:50- Look Ma----  One hand, no picking.......
4:11 Hendrix - Behind the back?  Anyone can do that right?
4:48- Cass Elliot lets 4 flies in her mouth with a jaw drop
5:00- All hell breaks lose.
5:15- Find out the real Wild Thing was Jimi's Marshall Amp.
5:56- Hendrix tries to summon the soul of Robert Johnson from the depths of hell
6:32- Jimi demonstrates his cooking skills, making Broiled Stratocaster
6:50- Fender Abuse your honor, 1st degree
6:53- Cass Elliot closes her mouth long enough to approve.
7:09- That guitar fret may look destroyed, but I heard one expert say that piece of guitar might be worth a quarter of a million dollars today.
7:14- Classic look of shock, not realizing you have just witnessed rock and roll history.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2022, 01:30:40 pm »
January 1976 List

1. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+3)
3. Black Sabbath (-2)
4. Aerosmith (+2)
5. The Who (-2)
6. Kiss (-1)
7. Chicago (+2)
8. Queen (+2)
9. Bad Company (-1)
10. BTO (-3)
11. Deep Purple (+2)
12. Alice Cooper (No change)
13. Mott the Hoople (+3)
14. Golden Earring (No change)
15. Foghat (-4)
16. Grand Funk (New)
17. Trapeze (-2)
18. Robin Trower (-1)
19. Black Oak Arkansas (No Change)
20. Montrose (-2)

Vinyl/Tapes added

Aersosmith - Toys in the Attic

Concert- January 31, 1976

Head East, Styx, and Foghat- $6.00 according to the stub I have stapled on.

Beyond excellent.  Seeing Styx as a back up band was quite a future conversation piece too. Can remember the synthisizer on Suite Madame Blue being so loud and hitting the right frequency, I felt like it was a memorex commercial.  Foghat did not disappoint either.  They blasted loud long dueling blues riffs that sure left a big smile on my face by the end of the night.  Wow....   this was real rock and roll.

Another blast from the past.....

Wish I had included this in May 1974 list, when it happened, but here is the California Jam that has Carl Palmer's amazing drum solo.  Very underrated drummer when discussing the best ...  For those impatient...  solo starts at about 2:50 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P19BpRijJD4

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 01:59:10 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2022, 03:56:24 pm »
February 1976 List-

1. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
3. Black Sabbath (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. The Who (No change)
6. Queen (+2)
7. Chicago- (No change)
8. Bad Company (-2)
9. Kiss (-3)
10. Foghat (+5)
11. Deep Purple (No change)
12. Golden Earring (+2)
13. Mott the Hoople (no Change)
14. Alice Cooper (-2)
15. Bachman Turner Overdrive (-5)
16. Trapeze (+1)
17. Uriah Heep- (New)
18. Robin Trower (No change)
19. Styx (New)
20. Montrose (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added

Bread- Best of Bread-  Okay, stop laughing. This was a date tape.  If you don't know what I mean, or the motive for this tape, then go back to Mike Damone's Fast Times at Ridgemont High's comments around dating tips.

Styx-. You will find that Styx will be a powerhouse on this list for several years.  The three album streak of Equinox, Grand Illusion, and Pieces of 8 is about as good of a dynasty of bad ass rocking prog tunes that you will ever see.   Before Equinox, the band was good, but uneven around the edges with song writing and production 

After Pieces of 8, you had the disasters of Cornerstone, Paradise Theatre, and beyond.  This is the era that the band sadly let Dennis DeYoung wrestle control of the band, and gave the finger to James Young's and Tommy Shaw's contributions and ideas.  The results sucked.  Sugary pop shit,  pointless concepts, and no chops on the rocking side.  Listening to "Babe" or Colonoscopy Prep?  Tough choice.

Now a concert set..... (Some strange off key singing, but otherwise a great sample of their concerts as I remembered it.)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5NDkrGlMY&t=1642s

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2022, 04:52:08 pm »
March 1976 List

2. Aerosmith (+2)
3. Led Zeppelin (-1)
4. Black Sabbath (-1)
5. The Who (No change)
6. Queen (No change)
7. Foghat (+3)
8. Chicago (-1)
9. Bad Company (-1)
10. Deep Purple (+1)
11. Nazerth (New)
12. Golden Earring (No change)
13. Kiss (-4)
14. Mott the Hoople (-1)
15. Trapeze (+1)
16. Alice Cooper (-2)
17. Bachman Turner Overdrive (-2)
18. Uriah Heep (-1)
19. Montrose (+1)
20. Styx (-1)

Added vinyl/tapes- none

Another uneventful month on the list, so I'll add another iconic film moment in rock and roll history.  Hint, like last night it involves busting guitars... :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZkjA8DTg4o

I remember the shock on my parents face when this came on and my dad asked.....   This isn't one those freaky long haired bands you listen to is it?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 06:56:12 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2022, 04:56:32 pm »
Styx  -  Suite Madam Blue

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2022, 05:03:57 pm »
Bad Company  -  Good Lovin' Gone Bad

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2022, 07:22:07 pm »
April 1976 List

2. Black sabbath (+2)
3. Aerosmith (-1)
4. Led Zeppelin (-1)
5. Foghat (+2)
6. Queen (No change)
7. Chicago (+1)
8. The Who (-3)
9. Deep Purple (+1)
10. Bad Company (-1)
11. Narareth (No change)
12, Kiss (+1)
13. Trapeze (+2)
14.Golden Earring (-2)
15. BTO (+2)
16. Alice Cooper (No change)
17. Mott the Hoople (-3)
18. Uriah Heep (No change)
19. Jethro Tull (New)
20. Montrose (-1)

New Viny'/tapes

Led Zeppelin - Prescence

Presence was a step back in quality vs. the previous few LZ albums.  It was interesting seeing the owner of the Pawn Stars (reality TV) looking for one of the "presence" statues....

IMO...best cut on the LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-zf2TgCjw&list=OLAK5uy_mT_MiImC0I7IBuJyArszeVcAVhDxb2Bz0&index=4

Here is another moment in rock history, as Alice Cooper starts out as introductory guest in ABC's In Concert series debuting in 1972.  The quality of the film is not good, but it gives you a nice view of Alice before when he was more a shock rocker than a choreographed Spider Chaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME5ac1liQ18

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2022, 08:32:32 pm »
May 1976 List

1. Led Zeppelin (+3)
2. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
3. Aerosmith- (No change)
4. Black Sabbath (-2)
5. Queen (+1)
6. Foghat (-1)
7. The Who (+1)
8. Bad Company (+2)
9. Deep Purple (No change)
10. The Sweet (New)
11. Chicago (-4)
12. BTO (+3)
13. Nazareth (-2)
14. Golden Earring (No change)
15. Kiss (-3)
16. Alice Cooper (No change)
17. Trapeze (-4)
18. Mott the Hoople (-1)
19. Montrose (+1)
20. Jethro Tull (-1)

Vinyl/Tape Additions

Foghat- Rock and Roll Outlaws
Sweet- Desolation Blvd.  :2barf:
Foghat- Fool for the City
Nazareth- Hair of the Dog
Beatles- Sargent Peppers

The Sweet- British Glam / Pop Band that was mostly known by the hit Fox on the Run, and Bar Room Blitz  Formulaic Garbage.  Hate to embarass myself, but my liking this group was more to the fact that a girlfriend at the time and I would listen to this in my car.  I will stop with that embarassment right now.  No excuses. (Drops head in shame)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBdFA6sI6-8

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2022, 08:54:34 pm »
1976  -  One of the best selling live albums ever

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2022, 09:01:47 pm »
Thin Lizzy  -  Jailbreak album (1976)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2022, 09:05:05 pm »
Ritchie Blackmore transitions from Deep Purple to Rainbow

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2022, 11:46:28 pm »
May 1976 List

The Sweet- British Glam / Pop Band that was mostly known by the hit Fox on the Run, and Bar Room Blitz  Formulaic Garbage.  Hate to embarass myself, but my liking this group was more to the fact that a girlfriend at the time and I would listen to this in my car.  I will stop with that embarassment right now.  No excuses. (Drops head in shame)

And to think we are only about a year away from the biggest shame ever....Disco.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2022, 11:54:55 pm »
And to think we are only about a year away from the biggest shame ever....Disco.

The Punk scene is also breaking out at this time.  The Ramones debuted with their first album in 1976.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2022, 05:21:56 am »
June 1976 List

1. Led Zeppelin (No change)
2. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Foghat (+2)
5. Queen (No change)
6. Black Sabbath (-2)
7. The Who (No change)
8. Chicago (+3)
9. BTO (+3)
10. Deep Purple (-1)
11. Bad Company (-3)
12. Nazareth (+1)
13. Golden Earring (+1)
14. Sweet (-4)
15. Kiss (No Change)
16. Trapeze (+1)
17. Montrose (+2)
18. Alice Cooper (-2)
19. Styx (New)
20. Jethro Tull (No Change)

Vinyl/tape additions

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Aerosmith - Rocks

Quiet this month, so I'll stick with rock history.

Got to say that all of what has been covered thus far would be nothing, or significantly different had this guy not hit the scene.  Yes, I am talking about Elvis.  I sure wasn't a fan, because you all know that liking what your parents liked wasn't cool at all.  But now, there is no doubting in my mind how much impact The King had on rock music...  No Beatles, No Stones, No Beach Boys.....   Music as we know it would not exist.

So with no further adieu.....     Here's Ed introducing Elvis to America on October 28, 1956...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYWl13IWhY

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2022, 05:24:01 am »

Made it a point to wear my disco sucks t shirt at lease once every few weeks. 

I considered its presence an abomination.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2022, 05:43:48 am »
July 1976 List - Happy Bicentential America!!!!!

1. Led Zeppelin  (No change)
2. Aerosmith (+1)
3. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
4. Queen (+1)
5. Foghat (-1)
6. The Who (+1)
7. Chicago (+1)
8. Black Sabbath (-2)
9. BTO- (No change)
10. Bad Company (+1)
11. Nazareth (+1)
12. Deep Purple (-2)
13. Kiss (+2)
14. Sweet (No change)
15. Golden Earring (-2)
16. Montrose- (+1)
17. Jethro Tull (+3)
18. Trapeze (-2)
19. Alice Cooper (-1)
20. Mott the Hoople (New)

Vinyl/Tapes added-

The Guess Who- Road Food
The Faces- Live
Aerosmith- Self Titled
Grand Funk - Phoenix

Moody Blues- This is the Moody Blues on July 13, 1976-  This date marks the birth of my love for prog rock  I had heard a few bits a pieces of this band for close to a decade, but never in any great detail.  Their music was mesmerizing, lush,  orchestatic, often ethereal and outright beautiful, but could also rock. In the prog area, I liked Pink Floyd, but from an art perspecitve PF was like an abstract work vs. the Moody's being an auditory impressionist brushed. 

And ahead of their time.  This music video is from 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_TbovyVOzs
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:45:35 am by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2022, 05:52:19 am »
Ritchie Blackmore transitions from Deep Purple to Rainbow

I had a friend that we used to have knock down drag out arguments on who was better .....   Page vs. Blackmore.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:53:19 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2022, 06:05:44 am »
ARG!  Forgot all about The Faces.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2022, 01:31:26 pm »
August 1976 List

1. Led Zeppelin (No Change)
2. Aerosmith (No change)
3. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
4. The Moody Blues (New)
5. Queen (-1)
6. The Who (No change)
7. Foghat (-2)
8. Chicago (-1)
9. Black Sabbath (-1)
10. BTO (-1)
11. Jethro Tull (+6)
12. Kiss (+1)
13. Bad Company (-3)
14. Nazareth (-3)
15. Sweet (-1)
16. Deep Purple (-4)
17. Golden Earring (-2)
18. Montrose (-2)
19. Peter Frampton (New)
20. Steve Miller Band (New)

The Moody Blues- Before starting on my narrative on the Moody Blues, let me digress a bit, to say how much of a sham that I think the so called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is, is in Cleveland, Ohio.  Their choices, timing, and justification of choices and admissions, has been beyond ridiculous.  This Hall of Shame is pretty much the political arm of Rolling Stoned Magazine, and their clown car of editiors, critics, and  :silly:experts.   They have included so many non-rock and roll entities that had no busness there in the first place, versus snubbing for politcal and genre reasons too.  This stupid Hall scorns any trace of political conservatism, rewards radical left wing activist, and stuck the middle finger at genres like prog and '80's hair metal.  And I say this as no fan of '80's Hair metal.  When Madonna gets recognized 10-15 years earlier than bands like Rush, Yes, Moody Blues,  King Crimson (genre based) or political like Rush, Alice Cooper, Kiss, or Ted Nugent.  They can not hide their hypocricy, and that is why many great bands have looked at the Hall snub as a badge of honor. 

I think John Lyndon of the Sex Pistols said it best in his hand written letter to hall in 1996....

"Next to the SEX-PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. Were not coming. Were not your monkey and so what? Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table, or $15000 to squeak up in the gallery, goes to a non-profit organisation selling us a load of old famous. Congradulations. If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges, but your still music industry people. Were not coming. Your not paying attention. Outside the shit-stem is a real SEX PISTOL

I concur.... this Hall, can "F" itself.

Alex, of my favorite all time band pretty much summed it up at his induction speech too, and a big middle finger right back at them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2ZbJnkFEY

Now back to the Moody Blues....  A pioneer of prog rock, the first to use the mellotron (precursor to synthesizer) , and very innovative songwriting that basically dominated this kind of music from the mid '60's to early '70's.  I always thought it was strange how their catalog, and their legacy died with time.  Truly a mystery. I could go on for an hour with this band, but I will close with a hauntingly beautiful tune of theirs, following an example that really showcases all aspects of their talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD7r22sjdDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wDHvmCVRxU

Peter Prampton-.There weren't many bigger than Frampton in the mid 70's.  His live album is one the biggest (I know was) live selling albums in history.  Got his chops going with Humble Pie, and elevated himself to stardom.  And a show of hands.....   How many of you wanted a voice box to talk dirty to your girlfriend too???     :silly:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 01:35:09 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2022, 02:03:56 pm »
Alex, of my favorite all time band pretty much summed it up at his induction speech too, and a big middle finger right back at them...

I never imagined such prodigious eloquence coming from a Canadian.  They should build their own HoF in Toronto and give Pat Travers the respect he deserves.

Now back to the Moody Blues....  A pioneer of prog rock, the first to use the mellotron (precursor to synthesizer) , and very innovative songwriting that basically dominated this kind of music from the mid '60's to early '70's.  I always thought it was strange how their catalog, and their legacy died with time.  Truly a mystery. I could go on for an hour with this band . . .

Great acid band.

1971  -  The Story In Your Eyes

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2022, 02:09:05 pm »
1976 -  Pat Travers,  Stop and Smile

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2022, 02:27:51 pm »
1976 -  Pat Travers,  Stop and Smile

Hey @Hoodat .....      Boom Boom!!!!.............
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 02:29:24 pm by catfish1957 »