Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 111050 times)

Offline LMAO

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2022, 07:50:33 am »
I add ZZ Top’s first album to my list

I absolutely love classic rock. There’s no other music I will listen to. I have a stereo in my boat. Classic rock only will play on it. And if any passengers don’t like it, they can swim back to shore
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2022, 08:34:48 am »
This is a list of my favorite albums that I have owned over the years

Boston’s first album

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

The Cars Candy O

Ozzy Osbourne Diary  of a Madman

Allman Brothers Eat a Peach

Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced

Both Eagles Hotel California and One of These Nights

Bob Seger‘s Greatest Hits

REO Speedwagon High infidelity

I’ll have to think of more

Outstanding List...  If pressed, this would be my first pass favorite 10 albums of all time....

1. Led Zeppelin IV
2. The Who-Who's Next
3. Rush -2112
4. Boston- Self Titled (1st album)
5. Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever
6. Bob Seger- Against the Wind
7. AC DC- Back in Black
8. Neil Young- Rust Never Sleeps
9. Ramones- Self Titled (1st Album)
10. The Cars- Candy-O
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:42:13 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2022, 03:30:59 pm »
By 74 I was so burnt out on Black Sabbath that if anyone tried to stuff their tape in my 8track it got thrown out the window.

My tastes were still enjoying Voume IV, and I also like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, which to this day, I think is the last decent Black Sabbath album.

As far tape tossing?  That time's coming. (Teaser Alert).  Sabbath is gone from the list in mid '77.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:34:41 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2022, 03:45:11 pm »
November 1974 List

1. Black Sabbath (No change)
2. Bachman Turner Overdrive (+10)
3. Alice Cooper (No change)
4. Deep Purple (No change)
5. Grand Funk (-3)
6. Led Zeppelin (-1)
7. Uriah Heep (-1)
8. Black Oak Arkansas (+1)
9. Three Dog Night (-1)
10. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-3)
11. Mott the Hoople (+3)
12. The Guess Who (-1)
13. Chicago (-3)
14. Rare Earth (-1)
15. Bad Company (+3)
16. The Who (No change)
17. Steve Miller Band (No Change)
18. Edgar Winter Group (New)
19. Rolling Stones (-4)
20. Elton John (-1)

Vinyl/Tape additions

Black Oak Arkansas- High on the Hog
Led Zeppelin- II
Deep Purple- Best of
Elton John- Honky Chateau
John Denver- Greatest Hits
Black Oak Arkansas- Keep the Faith
The Who- Who's Next
Allman Brothers- Beginnings
Bloodrock- Whirlwind Tongus
The Beatles 62-66

As I stated earlier, this was my loud 3 chords era, explaining the like of BTO.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 03:46:09 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2022, 03:50:42 pm »
By 74 I was so burnt out on Black Sabbath that if anyone tried to stuff their tape in my 8track it got thrown out the window.

Here’s a question I ask of all our contestants, what made you drop out?

Uh, a lot of people think it was the 400 acid trips I took, you know?

Uh-huh, but what was it really, Bob?

One day I played Black Sabbath at 78 speed, man.

And then what happened?

I saw God!

You saw God, well that sounds like true spiritual enlightenment to me, Bob!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2022, 04:07:48 pm »
December 1974 List

2. Bachman Turner Overdrive (no chnge0
3. Deep Purple (+1)
4. Alice Cooper (-1)
5. Black Oak Arkansas (+3)
6. Led Zeppelin (No change)
7. Grand Funk- (-2)
8. The Who (+8)
9. Uriah Heep (-2)
10. Three Dog Night (-1)
11. Mott the Hoople (No change)
12. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-2)
13. The Guess Who (-1)
14. Allman Brothers Band (New)
15. Bad Company (No change)
16. Chicago (-3)
17. Edgar Winter Group (+1)
18. Rare Earth (-2)
19. Steve Miller Band (-2)
20. Rolling Stones (No Change)

Vinyl/tape additions-

Cheech and Chong - Big Bamboo. (I know man....not music)
Uriah Heep- Magican's Birthday
Deep Purple- Who Do You Think We Are?
The Who- Tommy
Led Zeppelin- III
Deep Purple- Burn
Led Zeppelin- I
Rolling Stones- Hot Rocks
Three Dog Night- Seven Separate Fools
Joe Cocker- Mad Dogs and Englishmen
Derek and the Dominoes- Layla
James Gang- Straight Shooter
ELP- Pictures at an Exhibition
Yes- Fragile
Alice Cooper- Schools Out
Alice Cooper- Killer
Deep Purple- Shades of Deep Purple

Main points of the month were I found out there was more to Who's Next than Baba O'Reilly and Won't Get Fooled Again. And the Allman Brother.  In an earlier post I mentioned how much I am enamoured with the wailing duel guitar sound that was so prevalent in the early '70's.  These guys (Duane Allman and Dicky Betts) basically perfected the sound. If you haven't listened to that style before, you are missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvxRjYqjEQ

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2022, 04:14:29 pm »
Here’s a question I ask of all our contestants, what made you drop out?

Re: Black Sabbath

In my case, my musical tastes slowly but surely morphed more towards singer songwriter,  Prog, and standard rock and roll.
I don't think I have intentionally listened to Black Sabbath for at least over 30 years. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2022, 05:27:41 pm »
January 1975 List

2. Deep Purple (+1)
3. Bachman Turner Overdrive (-1)
4. Led Zeppelin (+2)
5. Alice Cooper (-1)
6. Mott the Hoople (+5)
7. Black Oak Arkansas (-2)
8. The Who (No change)
9. Grand Funk (-2)
10. Uriah Heep (-1)
11. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
12. Bad Company (+3)
13. Three Dog Night (-3)
14. Chicago (+2)
15. Edgar Winter (+2)
16. The Guess Who (-3)
17. Yes (New)
18. Elton John (New)
19. Allman Brothers (-5)
20. Foghat (New)

New Vinyl/Tape- None

Ahhhhh Foghat.  One of those bands that I think are criminally not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.   Bryan Bassett had a slide blues style that no one east of Joe Walsh has ever been ever to replicate. Listen to him make that SG sing!!!!! Lonesome Dave also had the perfect white boy blues voice, and gave that dueling guitar sound soul (notice the reocurring theme?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As5_xq78VRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OdvxTZRPE

Offline libertybele

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2022, 05:51:23 pm »
January 1975 List

2. Deep Purple (+1)
3. Bachman Turner Overdrive (-1)
4. Led Zeppelin (+2)
5. Alice Cooper (-1)
6. Mott the Hoople (+5)
7. Black Oak Arkansas (-2)
8. The Who (No change)
9. Grand Funk (-2)
10. Uriah Heep (-1)
11. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
12. Bad Company (+3)
13. Three Dog Night (-3)
14. Chicago (+2)
15. Edgar Winter (+2)
16. The Guess Who (-3)
17. Yes (New)
18. Elton John (New)
19. Allman Brothers (-5)
20. Foghat (New)

New Vinyl/Tape- None

Ahhhhh Foghat.  One of those bands that I think are criminally not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.   Bryan Bassett had a slide blues style that no one east of Joe Walsh has ever been ever to replicate. Listen to him make that SG sing!!!!! Lonesome Dave also had the perfect white boy blues voice, and gave that dueling guitar sound soul (notice the reocurring theme?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As5_xq78VRA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_OdvxTZRPE

Foghat.  I actually had the opportunity to see them at a friend's backyard party -- a few years before they became popular. Yes ... another stroll down memory lane.  Gosh I was so young!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2022, 05:52:42 pm »
A few more that I enjoy:

Blue Oyster Cult
Dire Straits
Edgar Winter
Eric Clapton
Foghat
Foreigner
Joe Walsh
Mountain

I think all those bands minus Mountain made my list at some point.  I can remember the '70's as unending pool of listening choices for great music.  Now, its a struggle just to find one thing listenable.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2022, 05:56:25 pm »
Foghat.  I actually had the opportunity to see them at a friend's backyard party -- a few years before they became popular. Yes ... another stroll down memory lane.  Gosh I was so young!

That's a fascinating story.  PLEASE go into some more detail. I have an experience where I saw the Ramones at bar in the mid '80's with about 40 other people.  When we get to about 1985, I'll cover it.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2022, 06:24:33 pm »
February 1975 List

2. Dee Purple (No change)
3. Led Zeppelin (+1)
4. BTO (-1)
5. Black Oak Arkansas (+2)
6. The Who (+2)
7. Mott the Hoople (-1)
8. Alice Cooper (-3)
9. Grand Funk (No change)
10. Bad Company (+2)
11. Uriah Hep (-1)
12. Chicago (+2)
13. The Guess Who (+3)
14. Three Dog Night (-1)
15. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-4)
16. Edgar Winter (-1)
17. Golden Earring (New)
18. Elton John (No change)
19. Yes (-2)
20. Rare Earth (New)

Vinyl/Tape additions-  None

Golden Earring IMO is the greatest Dutch band.  Quite likely, you are only familar with the 2 albums that charted well in the U.S. ...  Moontan and Cut. 

Moontan is an awesome concept album dedicated to uhhh. "bad girls".  Worth an entire listen, if you have never heard it.  Cut has "Twilight Zone" which was a huge hit for them, musically and the video.  I'd bet you saw it, if you had MTV in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIaaBuGNwNw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6bDe9Dgn6g

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2022, 07:07:30 pm »
This is a list of my favorite albums that I have owned over the years

Boston’s first album

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

The Cars Candy O

Ozzy Osbourne Diary  of a Madman

Allman Brothers Eat a Peach

Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced

Both Eagles Hotel California and One of These Nights

Bob Seger‘s Greatest Hits

REO Speedwagon High infidelity

I’ll have to think of more

I concur with everything on this list except for the Eagles.  I hate the Eagles.

Hard to find a bad song on any of the remaining albums on this list.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2022, 07:22:39 pm »
Rainbow Rising

Blue Oyster Cult Agents of Fortune

Joe Walsh So What

Elton John Madman across the Water

I had many of these first in vinyl and 8 track, then cassette, and CDs

The best line I heard once was “ I may be old, but I got to grow up in the best period of music ever.”

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2022, 07:26:57 pm »
Kinda pretty cool that you managed to keep a slice of your past with these lists... What did I keep when I was of the impressionable age of music, not much. I found a poster board I used to cover my rough home made desk, and transferred the songs I had written on it. The songs were ones I heard on the radio that I wanted to get when I could find them (and had the means to purchase them). I was wise enough that did continue to purchase vinyl most the time and transferred them to cassettes (to play in the car). Cassettes died over time I found.

It wasn't until I got to college that I was able to actually find some of the music I listed. I didn't have the funds to buy it though. So the list persisted until I got out of college (university). I still have some of the vinyl to this day.

Now I have a few blogs I frequent almost daily.... we share music and hope for that gem of a new song.

Our lists are different, but I recognize most every artist on your (catfish) list, though your tastes run a little/lot harder than mine. Lets just say my first album I got of my own choice was Abba. It got a lot weirder from then on.

My latest find from 1980 ... (skip to 50 seconds in if in a hurry to get to the meat of the song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRlnIYaTyT0
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 07:35:01 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline LMAO

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2022, 07:34:57 pm »
How many people have had a chance to see many of these bands over the years in concert?

I’ve seen the original Van Halen, I was working at the arena when Pat Benatar came to Duluth in the early 80s, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Elton John, Kiss, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Alice Cooper, Rush, Steve Miller Band, Jefferson Starship

The Elton John concert was his recent Goodbye tour . My autistic son loves EJ so we took him as a Christmas gift
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 07:40:18 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2022, 07:38:39 pm »
How many people have had a chance to see many of these bands over the years in concert?

I’ve seen the original Van Halen, I was working at the arena when Pat Benatar came to Duluth in the early 80s, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Elton John, Kiss, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Alice Cooper, Rush, Steve Miller Band, Jefferson Starship

Most concerts were at night and a long drive for me to attend (Atlanta). Thus very few here... Big Country, The Cure, Elvis Costello. I did attend every June Jam concert held by Alabama of course, it was local.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 07:39:57 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline libertybele

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2022, 07:43:09 pm »

The Elton John concert was his recent Goodbye tour . My autistic son loves EJ so we took him as a Christmas gift

I saw Van Halen many times in the local bar, REO Speedwagon 3 times, Styx twice, Elton John 3 times (his concerts are excellent), Alice Cooper and I have not seen the others.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2022, 07:43:56 pm »
Rainbow Rising

Blue Oyster Cult Agents of Fortune

Joe Walsh So What

Elton John Madman across the Water

I had many of these first in vinyl and 8 track, then cassette, and CDs

The best line I heard once was “ I may be old, but I got to grow up in the best period of music ever.”

Amen!!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2022, 08:07:04 pm »
March 1975 List

1. Led Zeppelin  (+2)
2. Black Sabbath (-1) They start their decline
3  Deep Purple (-1)
4. Black Oak Arkansas (+1)
5. The Who (+1)
6. BTO (-2)
7. Bad Company (+3)
8. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+7)
9. Grand Funk (No change)
10. Chicago (+2)
11. Mott the Hoople (-4)
12. Uriah Heep (-1)
13. Alice Cooper (-5)
14. The Guess Who (-1)
15. Edgar Winter (+1)
16. Elton John (+2)
17. Jethro Tull (New)
18. Golden Earring (-1)
19. Three Dog Night (-5)
20 Yes (-1)

Added vinyl/tapes

Robin Trower- For Earth Below
Queen- II

Jethro Tull is/was a great celtic tinged prog master.  Complex compositions, intellligent lyricism, a really good listen.

Here is a sample of one of my favorites by JT....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSUdlUmtg3Q

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2022, 08:17:02 pm »
Before they fall off the list:

Yes  -  Gates of Delerium (1974)

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2022, 08:19:53 pm »
Before they fall off the list:

Yes  -  Gates of Delerium (1974)

happy77 happy77 happy77

Don't forget their 90125 and Big Generator 80's resurgence.  These guys will be back with a vengence.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2022, 05:12:04 am »
April 1975 List

1. Black Sabbath (+1)
2. Deep Purple (+1)
3. Led Zeppelin (-2)
4. Golden Earring (+14)
5. The Who (No change)
6. Bad Company (+1)
7. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
8. BTO (-2)
9. Queen (New)
10. Grand Funk (-1)
11. Black Oak Arkansas (-7)
12.Chicago (-2)
13. Robin Trower (New)
14. Alice Cooper (-1)
15. Elton John (+1)
16, Uriah Heep (-4)
17. Mott the Hoople (-6)
18. Edgar Winter (-3)
19. Montrose (New)
20. The Guess Who (-6)

Added Vinyl/tapes

Jethro Tull- Aqualung
Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffitti On April 11, 1975***

Queen-  What more can be said about the level of talent with this band?  In my tastes, they were at their very very best in their first 2 albums which were as hard  rock as any thing else being recorded at the time. I  enjoyed this version of Queen much much more than the artsy, though no less talented future versions which had more pop and radio tendencies. 

Still anyone having any doubts early Queen couldn't rock....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhIzRul3qFU

Robin Trower-  Once a few years had passed with the death of Hendrix, you started seeing more of the "guitar god", as somewhat of an offering or homage to his greatenss.  Trower fresh from Procol Harum had some nice Hendrixish wizardry, though not quite as strong on the song writing front. SRV did a much better job of this a decade later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyAXk_LyCY

Montrose-   Straight up rock and roll band that unleashed Sammy Hagar on the world.  Good but not great band.  Here is what I consider their signature tune.  Which sure sounds a more lot like a lot of Hagar tunes during his solo career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtDO3qBo72M

***- Quite a story with this album.  I bugged the hell out of my record store to get Physical Graffiti, and had "urgent" and "priority" status put my order.  When I got the call to pick up, that night I thew a Zep Album party with nine of my closest rocking buddies, and we had a formal unwrapping and First Play Party.  As far as I know, I was the first kid in the state to get the album.  That's at least what the record store told me.  And more Hawaiian Punch and Chips Ahoy than anyone could eat.  And finally kudos to parents for letting me have the house for the evening, along with the parental HiFi

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 05:52:17 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2022, 06:40:35 am »
Been revisiting Blood, Sweat + Tears. Dad loves those guys, listened a lot to them in the early 70's.

Amazing band.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2022, 02:44:20 pm »
May 1975 List

1. Led Zeppelin (+2)
2. Black Sabbath (-1)
3. Queen (+6)
4. Deep Purple (-2)
5. Golden Earring (-1)
6. BTO (+2)
7. The Who (-2)
8. Bad Company (-2)
9. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-2)
10. Chicago (+2)
11. Alice Cooper (+3)
12. Jethro Tull (New)
13. Grand Funk (-3)
14. Black Oak Arkansas (-3)
15. Uriah Heep (+2)
16. Edgar Winter (+2)
17. Elton John (-2)
18. Mott the Hoople (-1)
19. The Guess Who (+1)
20. Robin Trower (-7)

Albums/Vinyl added-

Nazareth- Hair of the Dog-  Playing on the 8 Track H.S. graduation night.....    NOW YO MESSIN WIT A.....!!!!!!!!
Alice Cooper- Welcome To My Nightmare
Doobie Brothers- Captain and Me
NY Dolls- Too Much Too Soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVfJo07pNIc
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:46:38 pm by catfish1957 »