Author Topic: Florida could see up to 80% of people infected with COVID  (Read 417 times)

Offline libertybele

Florida could see up to 80% of people infected with COVID
« on: January 08, 2022, 01:52:08 am »
Not the news that I wanted to hear.   :shrug:

The level of contagion that we see with the omicron variant shatters previous predictions. Researchers with the University of Florida say that up to 80% of Floridians will have been infected with COVID-19.

The omicron surge came on quickly, and that has caused some researchers to readjust their models. The newest estimates for the amount of Floridians that could contract COVID-19 by the end of this surge are astounding. Dr. Ira Longini is a professor of biostatistics at the University of Florida.

“It’ll be in the 70 to 80% range, at least, of all, Floridians roughly, if you look at the infection curve, we already think there were a million infections a day right around the end of December, the beginning of January,” said Dr. Longini.

Dr. Longini is the professor behind these forecasts and says that this variant is spreading more quickly and with a shorter incubation period. There is something else aiding the increase in cases, though.

“The degree of immune escape is greater than we originally thought. So all that contributes to a bigger number of reported cases,” Dr. Longini said.

The silver lining in all of this is that researchers believe the number of severe cases and deaths will lessen with omicron. “There’s no doubt about that. The numbers of severe cases, hospitalizations and deaths will be probably about a third of those that we observe for Delta,” Longini said.

If the models stand, infections should peak sometime within the next week................

https://www.winknews.com/2022/01/07/florida-could-see-up-to-80-of-people-infected-with-covid/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

Re: Florida could see up to 80% of people infected with COVID
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 02:11:48 am »
This prediction is an overt admission that the 'vaccine' [sic] does absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of Covid.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 02:15:28 am »
Not the news that I wanted to hear.   :shrug:

“The degree of immune escape is greater than we originally thought. So all that contributes to a bigger number of reported cases,” Dr. Longini said.

https://www.winknews.com/2022/01/07/florida-could-see-up-to-80-of-people-infected-with-covid/

What in the world is “immune escape”? Is that code for these vaccines aren’t really vaccines?
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Kamaji

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 02:17:45 am »
In other words, herd immunity.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 02:30:51 am »
In other words, herd immunity.

Possibly, but I'm not so sure that I agree that FL will hit it's peak in a week or so as we have too many people moving down here a day. A friend of mine is still sick and she has been fully vaccinated.  Her entire family is sick.  My daughter's co-work who was vaccinated died.

The facilities are out of antibodies, the hospitals around here are at 96% capacity.  The hospitals have once again halted any procedure that you may need to stay overnight in the hospital.

No visitors at the hospitals again.  No visitors allowed at doctor's offices.

I'm a little concerned; I had 2 doctors appointments this week and 3 appointments next week -- just a rona incident waiting to happen   **nononono*
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:32:17 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 02:33:02 am »
What in the world is “immune escape”? Is that code for these vaccines aren’t really vaccines?

I don't know, I was wondering what the meant as well.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 03:11:00 am »

I don't know, I was wondering what the meant as well.

I believe that means the virus is beating immunity - Either that means vaccine breakout - Folks that are vaxxed are getting it anyway, or that folks that have gotten sick and developed actual immunity are getting sick again... Or both.

I will bet it is vaxxed getting it and that natural immunity is actual immunity...

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 03:56:52 am »
Immune escape means that prior immunity -- whether by prior infection or vaccination -- will not provide perfect protection.  One study that came out this week showed that delta and omicron bind differently to ace2 receptors. Delta binds loosely and omicron binds very tightly. They believe (but who knows) that, besides the mutations that make them different, someone who had delta would not have immune protection from omicron, but someone with omicron would have immunity to delta.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 05:08:08 am »
Just as monkeys *could* fly out of my butt.