Author Topic: Winter without snow is coming, scientists  (Read 263 times)

rangerrebew

Winter without snow is coming, scientists
« on: January 05, 2022, 05:43:32 pm »

Winter without snow is coming, scientists

Parts of the Mountain West could be nearly snowless for years at a time in just a few decades.
Aspen Colorado's Downtown City street

Sarah Sax

Published
    Jan 03, 2022

This story was originally published by High Country News and is reproduced here as part of the Climate Desk collaboration.

Across the Central Rockies, it’s been an unseasonably warm, dry year. Denver smashed the record for its latest first measurable winter snow. Colorado ski resorts delayed opening because temperatures were too high to even produce fake snow. And Salt Lake City was entirely snowless through November, for only the second time since 1976.

These snowless scenarios, while still an exception, are set to become much more common as early as 2040, according to a paper published in Nature Reviews Earth and Environment. Drawing from years of snowpack observations, the researchers project that in 35 to 60 years, the Mountain West will be nearly snowless for years at a time if worldwide greenhouse gas emissions are not rapidly reduced. This could impact everything from wildfires to drinking water.

The purpose of the study was twofold. First, researchers wanted to highlight the extent of snow loss in the last several decades, and in those to come. “This is not an issue in a hypothetical future,” said Erica Siirila-Woodburn, a research scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and one of the study’s lead authors. The Mountain West has already lost 20 percent of its snowpack since the 1950s and could lose another 50 percent by the end of the century. Another key objective, said Siirila-Woodburn, was to provide more accurate and usable information to water managers and policymakers who need precise information on how much time they have to prepare for a future with much less snow.

https://grist.org/climate/winter-without-snow-is-coming-scientists-warn/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 05:44:18 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Winter without snow is coming, scientists
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 05:45:58 pm »
How many more times will alarmists try this piece of sh*t of "science?" :shrug:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 05:47:40 pm »
Complete bull.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 05:51:54 pm »
Aspen? 'Snowless?'  :silly:
in the summer, maybe.
Did the 'reeseerchurz' factor in altitude?

Or is this just the repeat of an already failed prediction?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 05:57:02 pm »
Yeah it's fixin to get ready to not snow anymore.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 06:04:15 pm »
There are a lot of people living up North who would be very excited at this prospect.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:29:22 pm »
... still better than 1816's Year without a Summer.

As soon as some volcanoes erupt, the snow will return.

They've only been recoding weather measurements in the Blue Hill Observatory (Boston area) since the 1870s.  That's a blink of the eye in geologic and climatological time.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 06:36:16 pm »
According to statistics MN had a year without a winter in 1877-78. I'm sure that there have been other times in our history where there have been warmer than usual winters and colder than normal summers.

The climate is cyclical period.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/journal/1877_1878_winter.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 06:52:18 pm »
It ain't gonna rain no more, no more, it ain't gonna rain no more ...
How in the heck can I wash my neck if it ain't gonna rain no more!?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 06:57:41 pm »
It ain't gonna rain no more, no more, it ain't gonna rain no more ...
How in the heck can I wash my neck if it ain't gonna rain no more!?

There's always the river and if that river should dry up there's always the ocean.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:58:37 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 07:01:21 pm »
Delbert McClinton  -  Take Me To the River

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 07:09:16 pm »
There are a lot of people living up North who would be very excited at this prospect.
Snow provides the moisture to get those multi section grain farms going, without all that mud at planting time.

I would not mind a little less subzero weather, but it does keep the riff-raff out... :shrug:

Can't have everything, I guess.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 07:21:55 pm »
Sure ain't gonna be this winter...  :smokin:
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 11:13:28 pm »
Ranger grumbled:
"How many more times will alarmists try this piece of sh*t of "science?"

When legend becomes fact... print the legend.