Author Topic: How to Absorb the Marine Corps into the Army and Navy  (Read 98 times)

rangerrebew

How to Absorb the Marine Corps into the Army and Navy
« on: January 02, 2022, 04:38:31 pm »
How to Absorb the Marine Corps into the Army and Navy

28 Dec 2021
Proceedings | By Commander Norman R. Denny, U.S. Navy Reserve (Retired)

Commander Denny is a retired reserve naval intelligence officer with service beginning in Vietnam in 1972 as an aviation electrician’s mate and retiring in 2010 as a commander. In addition to his reserve service, he was a civilian electronics engineer for the Army Missile Command and an intelligence analyst for the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), with four deployments to Iraq. After retiring from DIA, he served as a senior intelligence analyst for U.S. Central Command with one additional Iraq tour.

The opinions expressed in this op-ed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Military.com. If you would like to submit your own commentary, please send your article to opinions@military.com for consideration.

For decades, the U.S. Marine Corps has attempted to tweak its force structure to enhance performance within a constrained funding environment. Rather than continuing to make changes around the margins, we would be better off revisiting a debate started following World War II and prematurely truncated during the Korean War. Does the United States need a light infantry force specializing in amphibious operations as a separate service, or should the Marine Corps be resized to the small police force it was prior to World War I and the amphibious organization incorporated into the Army?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/opinions/2021/12/28/how-absorb-marine-corps-army-and-navy.html

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: How to Absorb the Marine Corps into the Army and Navy
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 04:49:25 pm »
 :2popcorn:

This ought to get some airplay nationwide.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 05:11:23 pm »
I can't see any of the Marine Corps being absorbed by the Army as the Marine Corps is a Department of the Navy.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 05:15:23 pm »
I can't see any of the Marine Corps being absorbed by the Army as the Marine Corps is a Department of the Navy.

I think the more crust of the op-ed was what would be the reaction if basically 95% of the Corp was absorbed, leaving a tiny police force like the author discussed prior to World War 1. That's the part I think is what will get the jugular's bulging of some hard core jar heads.... 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.