Author Topic: The Official TBR Silliness Thread---2022  (Read 38236 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: The Official TBR Silliness Thread---2022
« Reply #4550 on: July 20, 2022, 04:07:32 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4551 on: July 20, 2022, 04:08:25 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4552 on: July 20, 2022, 06:38:46 pm »

@corbe

A Wart Hog on a gun run is a truly majestic thing to see. At least for some of the people in that area,anyway. Others might not be so enthusiastic about it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4553 on: July 20, 2022, 07:21:48 pm »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4554 on: July 20, 2022, 07:34:48 pm »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4555 on: July 20, 2022, 07:39:47 pm »
Hans!!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4556 on: July 20, 2022, 07:41:45 pm »
That's life I guess
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Kamaji

Offline corbe

« Reply #4558 on: July 20, 2022, 07:47:10 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4559 on: July 20, 2022, 07:59:08 pm »
   Meanwhile in Texas.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4560 on: July 20, 2022, 08:00:32 pm »

Recently bought an SSD equipped PC. I no longer know what the word *buffering* means.
And my PC reboots in less than 3 seconds.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4561 on: July 20, 2022, 08:08:53 pm »
Recently bought an SSD equipped PC. I no longer know what the word *buffering* means.
And my PC reboots in less than 3 seconds.

Oh yeah... Way worth doing on any older boxen you may have too. There is nothing you can do to an old box that equals the performance boost of switching to SSD... Definitely raises the eyebrows. And a 256 or 500g is cheeeeap.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4562 on: July 20, 2022, 08:13:23 pm »
   SSD's give new life to older PC's too and add a reliability feature.

Just loaded XP on an old PATA HDD to get 20 years of tax data off the old PC for a local Lawyer.  His old tax software, MS-Dos based on 8  flopies which only runs on 32 bit software.  Fortunately, I had a used copy of Win 7 32 bit though I had to call Microsoft to get it activated.  It was a challenge but a quick $500, nonetheless. 
   Now I can go grocery shopping and put gas in my car.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4563 on: July 20, 2022, 08:14:15 pm »
Oh yeah... Way worth doing on any older boxen you may have too. There is nothing you can do to an old box that equals the performance boost of switching to SSD... Definitely raises the eyebrows. And a 256 or 500g is cheeeeap.

Yes they are.  I got a couple of them for $50 a pop; threw them into a few old machines and -boom-

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4564 on: July 20, 2022, 08:21:48 pm »

Is THAT the main reason many of the same 'Gamers' rise to the top of the Leader Boards all the time?

They have SSD?   I always thought it was the speed for which they pay from their internet provider
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4565 on: July 20, 2022, 08:24:55 pm »
Is THAT the main reason many of the same 'Gamers' rise to the top of the Leader Boards all the time?

They have SSD?   I always thought it was the speed for which they pay from their internet provider

It's probably more like with high-speed traders - every bit of tech in the pipeline, from the drive on your local machine, to your internal LAN, to your internet provider, has to be as fast as possible under the circumstances.  An SSD in those circumstances might make a bit of a difference.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4566 on: July 20, 2022, 08:27:22 pm »
It's probably more like with high-speed traders - every bit of tech in the pipeline, from the drive on your local machine, to your internal LAN, to your internet provider, has to be as fast as possible under the circumstances.  An SSD in those circumstances might make a bit of a difference.

Makes perfect sense.   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4567 on: July 20, 2022, 08:44:06 pm »

Well, it would certainly help... but no, Gamers that excel generally have honkin, ground-pounding hot-rod boxes. More than likely m.2 style ssd (which is different and faster than SATA), crazy RAM, vid, and processor... The whole 9 yards.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #4568 on: July 20, 2022, 08:46:21 pm »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4569 on: July 20, 2022, 08:48:02 pm »
Well, it would certainly help... but no, Gamers that excel generally have honkin, ground-pounding hot-rod boxes. More than likely m.2 style ssd (which is different and faster than SATA), crazy RAM, vid, and processor... The whole 9 yards.

Thanks!  :beer:

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #4570 on: July 20, 2022, 08:48:25 pm »
   Meanwhile in Texas.

Some pleasant aspects of warm weather.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4571 on: July 20, 2022, 08:55:47 pm »

It's also worthwhile to beef up the RAM.  I can't live with less than 8GB, so I always upgrade with an extra 16GB.  I have one waiting to go in this backup box I have (my main machine is in for warranty work because it bricked), and a spare that the post office had lost from Amazon that eventually showed up after I got a refund from Amazon.  I'll probably use that one for my wife's machine because my primary box is already beefed up.  More RAM cuts out all that disk-swapping.  You can see the results in the Task Manager/more details.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4572 on: July 20, 2022, 08:56:19 pm »

Many models have said they live on cigarettes and vodka, both suppress appetite.

Speaking of eating ...

BTW: Recently tried artichokes for no real reason. No. They have no flavor of their own. Just taste like whatever you spice them with. If artichokes were the food available, I would eat them gladly. But I will never seek them out and pay for them.

Not only were they essentially tasteless, they produced floss-like fibers which wrapped around my teeth. Nothing against it, but artichokes are not for me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:09:50 pm by 240B »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4573 on: July 20, 2022, 09:44:04 pm »

Don't forget it's drinking buddy Tincture Merthiolate

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4574 on: July 20, 2022, 10:02:51 pm »
It's also worthwhile to beef up the RAM.  I can't live with less than 8GB, so I always upgrade with an extra 16GB.

That's right. ANY Windows box needs 8g RAM to work properly. Anything less is worth beefing up. 16g is way mo'bedda - My test bench machines, and laptops generally run on 16. But my main whip and server and main laptop all run 32, bare minimum.