Author Topic: Obituaries for 2022  (Read 65014 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2022
« Reply #600 on: September 17, 2022, 03:24:04 pm »
Henry Silva, Distinctive Actor in ‘Ocean’s Eleven,’ ‘Manchurian Candidate,’ Dies at 95
Carmel Dagan - Yesterday 5:13 PM

Henry Silva, an actor with a striking look who often played villains and had credits in hundreds of films including “Ocean’s Eleven” and “The Manchurian Candidate,” died of natural causes Wednesday at the Motion Picture Picture and Television Country House and Hospital in Woodland Hills, Calif., his son Scott confirmed. He was 95.

One of Silva’s most memorable roles came in John Frankenheimer’s classic thriller “The Manchurian Candidate” (1962), in which he played Chunjin, the Korean houseboy for Laurence Harvey’s Raymond Shaw — and an agent for the Communists — who engages in a thrilling, well-choreographed martial arts battle with Frank Sinatra’s Major Bennett Marco in Shaw’s New York apartment.

Silva appeared in a number of other movies with Sinatra, including the original, Rat Pack-populated “Ocean’s Eleven” (1960) with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr., where he was one of the 11 thieves, and 1962 Western “Sergeants 3.” ...
Variety via MSN

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #601 on: September 20, 2022, 06:49:47 pm »
The gold standard for base-stealing.
Former MVP, steals king Maury Wills dies at 89
Ken Gurnick
Sept. 20, 2022
MLB

LOS ANGELES -- Maury Wills, whose daring thievery on the basepaths revolutionized baseball, died on Monday night. He was 89.

“I know he passed peacefully, and I am going to have a heavy heart,” said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, who wears No. 30 because of Wills. “Maury was very impactful to me personally, professionally. He’s going to be missed. This one is tough for me.”

Wills stole 104 bases in 1962, smashing Ty Cobb’s record of 96 set in 1915. Wills that year was named Most Valuable Player of the National League and the All-Star Game, in which he would appear in five seasons. He led the league in stolen bases in six consecutive seasons, won two Gold Gloves at shortstop and still holds the club record with 490 stolen bases, even though he retired in 1972. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #602 on: September 20, 2022, 07:00:49 pm »
The gold standard for base-stealing.

Way back when we Astros fans didn't have much to cheer about, we did have one of the best defensive catchers in the game with Johnny Edwards.  Edwards had a lifetime awesome  39% caught stealing in his MLB career. 

Being in the NL West in the day, we got to see a whole lot of cat/mouse between our battery and Wills on the base paths. Wills was one of those, like Brock and Henderson you were almost better off handing them 2nd, just  so you didn't risk a throwing error.

R.I.P. to a base stealing legend.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #603 on: September 23, 2022, 05:38:14 pm »
Hilary Mantel, celebrated author of Wolf Hall, dies aged 70

'Writing leaves you in a state of jittery vulnerability': Hilary Mantel in her own words – video
The Booker prize-winning author of the Wolf Hall trilogy, Dame Hilary Mantel, has died aged 70, her publisher HarperCollins has confirmed.

Mantel was regarded as one of the greatest English-language novelists of this century, winning the Booker Prize twice, for Wolf Hall and its sequel, Bring Up the Bodies, which also won the 2012 Costa book of the year.

The conclusion to her groundbreaking Wolf Hall trilogy, The Mirror & the Light, was published in 2020 to huge critical acclaim, became an instant Sunday Times bestseller and was longlisted for the Booker prize.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/sep/23/hilary-mantel-author-wolf-hall-dies
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #604 on: September 24, 2022, 01:02:49 pm »
Oscar Winner Louise Fletcher Who Played Nurse Ratched Dead at  88

Louise Fletcher, who won an Oscar for playing the sadistic Nurse Mildred Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, has died at 88.

Deadline reported that her family made the announcement through agent David Shaul but that no cause of death was given.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oscar-winner-louise-fletcher-who-played-nurse-ratched-in-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-dies-at-88

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #605 on: September 24, 2022, 01:05:57 pm »
Oscar Winner Louise Fletcher Who Played Nurse Ratched Dead at  88

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oscar-winner-louise-fletcher-who-played-nurse-ratched-in-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-dies-at-88

And she played my favorite Star Trek villain, Kai Winn AdamI. Rest In Peace. Or Rest easy with the Prophets

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #606 on: September 24, 2022, 05:01:34 pm »
RIP m'am. You were the first actor I had seen get an entire theater hollering for their character's demise. Well played, indeed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

« Reply #607 on: September 26, 2022, 06:22:24 pm »
Former New Jersey Gov. James Florio dead at 85

By Associated Press
September 26, 2022

TRENTON, N.J. — Former New Jersey Gov. James Florio, who championed a plan that substantially raised the state’s sales and income taxes leading to his re-election defeat in 1993, died Sunday. He was 85.

His law partner Doug Steinhardt and current New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy confirmed Florio died in statements on Monday.

“Governor Florio was a fighter who never backed down. He was a leader who cared more about the future of New Jersey than his own political fortunes,” Murphy, a fellow Democrat, said in a statement.

Florio was a longtime public servant who held numerous posts on the local, county, state and federal levels.

A Democrat, he made three unsuccessful runs for the governorship before finally succeeding in 1989, when he defeated Republican Jim Courter and became the first Italian American to serve as the state’s chief executive.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/09/26/former-new-jersey-gov-james-florio-dead-at-85/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #608 on: September 29, 2022, 01:09:00 am »
Coolio Dead at 59

oolio died Wednesday in Los Angeles ... TMZ has learned.

The rapper who achieved enormous success in the 90s was visiting a friend late Wednesday afternoon when he passed away.

Coolio's longtime manager, Jarez, says Coolio went to the bathroom at his friend's house, but when he didn't come after a while ... the friend kept calling for him, and eventually went in and found Coolio laying on the floor.

We're told the friend called EMTs, who arrived and pronounced Coolio dead on the scene -- and Jarez tells us the paramedics suspect he suffered cardiac arrest. An official cause of death has not been determined.

Coolio, whose real name is Artis Leon Ivey Jr., came up on the L.A. rap scene in the late 80s, but blew up nationally in 1995 when he released "Gangsta's Paradise" for the soundtrack of the Michelle Pfeiffer film, "Dangerous Minds."

https://www.tmz.com/2022/09/28/coolio-dead-dies-los-angeles/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #609 on: September 29, 2022, 01:42:09 am »
Coolio had talent. He was positive. He was a rapper but hip-hop and anti-gangsta. His big song 'Gangsta's Paradise' was a very negative critique of the life, probably the most well known song of the whole genre.

He was typical of the fun house party style of the early 90's, before rap started glorifying the nasty and violent.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #610 on: September 29, 2022, 01:43:38 am »
Coolio had talent. He was positive. He was a rapper but hip-hop and anti-gangsta. His big song 'Gangsta's Paradise' was a very negative critique of the life, probably the most well known song of the whole genre.

He was typical of the fun house party style of the early 90's, before rap started glorifying the nasty and violent.

He had the only rap song I liked, well his and the weird Al version

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #611 on: September 29, 2022, 01:55:45 am »
He had the only rap song I liked, well his and the weird Al version
One of the most brilliant parodies ever conceived. It's too bad Coolio didn't embrace it at first, though eventually he came around. (Gangsta's Paradise was itself a pastiche of a Stevie Wonder song "Pastime Paradise".)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H3Sv2zad6s
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #612 on: September 29, 2022, 10:46:00 pm »
Bill Plante, longtime CBS News Washington correspondent and father of conservative talk host Chris Plante, dies at 84.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/bill-plante-dead-longtime-cbs-news-white-house-correspondent-was-84-1235129855/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 10:09:21 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #614 on: October 04, 2022, 02:42:57 pm »
Breaking- Loretta Lynn, country music star has died aged 90.

It’s breaking I just have rhe headline.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #615 on: October 04, 2022, 03:01:52 pm »

Didn't realize she was that old, thought she was mid-70's.

She was the real deal, none of the fake country-rap crap of today.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #616 on: October 04, 2022, 03:11:09 pm »
Didn't realize she was that old, thought she was mid-70's.

@Free Vulcan

Same here,although I don't know why I was thinking that. After all,she was an adult woman selling hit records when I was still a child.

This is still a huge loss to the country music world,though.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #617 on: October 04, 2022, 04:01:42 pm »
@Free Vulcan

Same here,although I don't know why I was thinking that. After all,she was an adult woman selling hit records when I was still a child.

This is still a huge loss to the country music world,though.
Her sister Crystal Gayle is in her 70s. They were born over a decade apart, though.

That, and Loretta was performing and touring up until very recently.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #618 on: October 04, 2022, 04:49:00 pm »

Sad. She really did change the world with her music, more than people know.
A grand dame of Nashville. RIP
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #619 on: October 04, 2022, 06:18:24 pm »

RIP Coal miners Daughter
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #620 on: October 04, 2022, 07:24:26 pm »

From the NY Post:

Loretta Lynn, ‘Coal Miner’s Daughter’ icon and country singer, dead at 90

By Andrew Court
October 4, 2022

Country music legend Loretta Lynn has died at the age of 90.

The four-time Grammy winner — whose glittering career spanned six decades — passed away Tuesday at her home in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee.

Her family confirmed the news in a statement provided to the Associated Press, but did not disclose a cause of death.

Lynn — who was raised in rural Kentucky — became a worldwide sensation with her 1971 track “Coal Miner’s Daughter.”

The singer-songwriter — whose own father worked in a coal mine — used her poverty-stricken Appalachian childhood as the basis for dozens of her hit songs.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/10/04/loretta-lynn-coal-miners-daughter-icon-and-country-singer-dead-at-90/

Offline berdie

« Reply #621 on: October 04, 2022, 08:15:44 pm »
Much like classic rock, I like classic country. Loretta was classic country.

RIP, Loretta.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #622 on: October 04, 2022, 08:31:20 pm »
Loretta Lynn was as pure and emotional powerful of a country singer as there ever was. More than Tammy Wynette (though Tammy comes close), more than Kitty Wells, more than Dolly Parton.

She was a hardcore Appalachian, a wife and mother of six who had a tumultuous marriage at what likely was an age too young, who broke into the music business. When she undressed a man in songs like "Don't Come Home a-Drinkin' with Loving on Your Mind" and "Fist City," or stopped a homewrecker in her tracks with songs like "You Ain't Woman Enough to Take My Man," you know she had been there.

But you look at today, and you realize how much of a hard life women like Loretta had back then. Was it any wonder she embraced "The Pill?" Now you look at today's songwriters. Take, for example, Taylor Swift, who also writes a lot from personal experience. Taylor is 32 years old. She has no children, never been married, never even reached engagement. Every relationship she's had, she's broken off, and she's used every relationship and controversy she's had as grist for her career advancement. She's never had to confront an unfaithful husband, because she never let it get that far. Or you have some of these woke singers who whine about how the industry is unfair to them, because Morgan Wallen still has a career.

Girls like Taylor Swift ain't woman enough to match Loretta Lynn.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #623 on: October 04, 2022, 10:00:35 pm »
Lorretta was authentic. She lived the life and resonated with so many like myself came from that very same background - dirt poor, hard working, and proud.

What modern country doesn't understand is the music flows out of the life and the experience of that. It is not something you can put on like a coat or an image you can project, it has to come from within.

I just don't think they realize how insulting that suburbanite, electronified, country-rap garbage is to people who have lived it and know it.

The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #624 on: October 06, 2022, 01:10:04 am »
"Sacheen Littlefeather," activist best known for her Oscars stunt, dies at 76

(Note: "Sacheen Littlefeather" was a pseudonym for Marie Cruz, who had a native father but had little contact with him after early childhood and was raised by the white side of her family, only becoming a radicalized native activist in college.)

Littlefeather is best known for appearing on behalf of Marlon Brando when Brando won the Oscar for his work in The Godfather, as Brando was boycotting the ceremony in solidarity with the American Indian Movement that was "occupying" places like Alcatraz and Wounded Knee at the time. Littlefeather read an abridged (at Academy insistence) summary of Brando's intended speech, which was greeted with a mixed reception. It would be the last time any person other than the winner would be allowed to appear on-stage on the winner's behalf.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/sacheen-littlefeather-dead-marlon-brando-oscar-1235390968/