Author Topic: Obituaries for 2022  (Read 64981 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Obituaries for 2022
« Reply #525 on: August 30, 2022, 08:37:17 pm »
Just breaking

Give me a second

@Free Vulcan
So we will get to hear again about the end of the cold war was due to Gorby again?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #526 on: August 30, 2022, 08:37:57 pm »
Mikhail Gorbachev: Former Soviet leader has died - reports

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has died, according to Russia's Interfax News Agency.

Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev has died, according to Russia's Interfax News Agency.

His efforts to democratise his country's political system and decentralise its economy led to the break-up of the Soviet Union in 1991.

https://news.sky.com/story/mikhail-gorbachev-former-soviet-leader-has-died-reports-12685639
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #527 on: August 30, 2022, 08:38:30 pm »
Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War, dies aged 92 -agencies

Aug 30 (Reuters) - Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War without bloodshed but failed to prevent the collapse of the Soviet Union, has died at the age of 92, Russian news agencies cited hospital officials as saying on Tuesday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/mikhail-gorbachev-who-ended-cold-war-dies-aged-92-agencies-2022-08-30/
The Republic is lost.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #528 on: August 30, 2022, 08:41:53 pm »
Mikhail Gorbachev, Soviet president who took down the Iron Curtain, dies

CNN)Mikhail Gorbachev, the last president of the Soviet Union before its dissolution, has died in Moscow at the age of 92, according to official statements.

Gorbachev, whose tumultuous rule was associated with the terms perestroika and glasnost (reform and openness) died after a long illness, Russian state news agencies reported.

"Mikhail Sergeevich Gorbachev died this evening after a severe and prolonged illness," the Central Clinical Hospital said, according to RIA / Novosti Tuesday.

This is a developing story... more to come.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/30/europe/mikhail-gorbachev-dies-intl/index.html

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #529 on: August 30, 2022, 08:49:25 pm »
Gorbachev's Pizza Hut ad, or, the Head Communist Embraces Capitalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgm14D1jHUw
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #530 on: August 30, 2022, 08:49:46 pm »
CORRECTED-Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War, dies aged 91 -agencies

(Corrects age to 91 from 92)

Aug 30 (Reuters) - Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War without bloodshed but failed to prevent the collapse of the Soviet Union, has died at the age of 91, Russian news agencies cited hospital officials as saying on Tuesday. (Reporting by David Lljunggren Editing by Chris Reese)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mikhail-gorbachev-ended-cold-war-202412767.html

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #531 on: August 30, 2022, 09:02:24 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #532 on: August 30, 2022, 09:15:52 pm »
92 is a pretty good run for a Russian.

That's about 150 in American years.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #533 on: August 31, 2022, 01:47:06 am »
CORRECTED-Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War, dies aged 91 -agencies

Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War without bloodshed but failed to prevent the collapse of the Soviet Union,

@Gefn

That HAS to be THE most clueless news report I have ever read. The Cold War would have never ended unless one of two things happened.

1: A nuclear war broke out between the USSR and the west

2: The Soviet Union collapsed.

Is it possible that reporter is really so stupid he or she thinks the USSR could have existed with free trade with the west? The Soviets kept their people under control by keeping them in the dark and feeding them propaganda about how evil the west was. Once you open the borders to trade,it would be impossible to expect anyone with 2 IQ points to rub together to think communism would survive in Russia.

To quote part of a famous WW-1 song,"How are ya gonna keep them down on the farm,once they have seen gay Paree?"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #534 on: August 31, 2022, 02:48:07 am »
@Gefn

That HAS to be THE most clueless news report I have ever read. The Cold War would have never ended unless one of two things happened.

Is it possible that reporter is really so stupid he or she thinks the USSR could have existed with free trade with the west? The Soviets kept their people under control by keeping them in the dark and feeding them propaganda about how evil the west was. Once you open the borders to trade,it would be impossible to expect anyone with 2 IQ points to rub together to think communism would survive in Russia.

To quote part of a famous WW-1 song,"How are ya gonna keep them down on the farm,once they have seen gay Paree?"
Funny, the way I remember it Reagan ended the cold war by forcing Russia to bankrupt itself trying to keep up with US military expenditures and advances and that is what caused the collapse of the Soviet Union and freedom for east bloc nations. Gorby didn't do squat but hold on for the ride and and fold.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #535 on: August 31, 2022, 04:29:24 am »
Funny, the way I remember it Reagan ended the cold war by forcing Russia to bankrupt itself trying to keep up with US military expenditures and advances and that is what caused the collapse of the Soviet Union and freedom for east bloc nations. Gorby didn't do squat but hold on for the ride and and fold.

@GtHawk

That's the way I remember it,too.

It's not that Gorby woke up one day and decided to do away with Communism in Russia,it happened because the USSR was going bankrupt,and it was either open the borders for deals with the west,or face a revolution of hungry peasants who are wondering where their next mean was coming from.

Gorby didn't do this because he WANTED to do it,he did it because he had no other choice if he wanted to stay alive.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #536 on: August 31, 2022, 04:32:39 am »
@GtHawk

That's the way I remember it,too.

It's not that Gorby woke up one day and decided to do away with Communism in Russia,it happened because the USSR was going bankrupt,and it was either open the borders for deals with the west,or face a revolution of hungry peasants who are wondering where their next mean was coming from.

Gorby didn't do this because he WANTED to do it,he did it because he had no other choice if he wanted to stay alive.

All the footage of Gorbachev this evening showing Reagan made me sad that it's been that f'ing long since we had a great POTUS.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #537 on: August 31, 2022, 04:45:32 am »
All the footage of Gorbachev this evening showing Reagan made me sad that it's been that f'ing long since we had a great POTUS.

@catfish1957

"VERY grateful" is not strong enough to express my feelings for the Reagan Presidency. I do not think it is an exaggeration to state that "America would have gone Communist years ago if Reagan hadn't ran,won,and then had the stones to do what he said he was going to do when he was campaigning.

The one thing that Reagan had that Trump is missing is personal charm,and Reagan used that to bounce away any criticisms over his policies.

I don't think that even Reagan could get away with that this time if he could by some miracle still be alive and still be young enough to deal with the stress.

I think both the world situation and the focus of the Dimocrats now that they are out of the closet and not even pretending to be Americans anymore would leave Reagan ineffective.

We don't need charm now. It's way too late for that. What we need is a leader with a bull whip that is willing to use it.  Name ONE potential candidate other than Trump that fits that bill. Go ahead and try. I dare you.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #538 on: August 31, 2022, 06:19:40 am »

ONCE in my entire lifetime. My first vote ever was for Reagan.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #539 on: August 31, 2022, 01:52:19 pm »
ONCE in my entire lifetime. My first vote ever was for Reagan.

Something REALLY bad happened to this country in 1963, something that the murder of John F. Kennedy is merely a symptom of, and we have never recovered.  Probably never will.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online rustynail

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #541 on: August 31, 2022, 07:56:49 pm »
Something REALLY bad happened to this country in 1963, something that the murder of John F. Kennedy is merely a symptom of, and we have never recovered.  Probably never will.

For me, I think the turning point was around 1966.  A massive popular cultural shift occurred. Vietnam was heating up. The Watts riots happened. Civil rights struggles roiled the South. Men stopped wearing hats and ties - LOL, I know.  But look at a photograph of a crowd at a baseball game in say, 1965, and then in 1968.  Everything changed, and rapidly.   

Ronald Reagan was governor of California during that time, and thank God, became President after the tumultuous decade or so that followed, so that Gorbachev had to deal with him, and not Jimmy Carter.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #542 on: August 31, 2022, 08:22:28 pm »
For me, I think the turning point was around 1966.  A massive popular cultural shift occurred. Vietnam was heating up. The Watts riots happened. Civil rights struggles roiled the South. Men stopped wearing hats and ties - LOL, I know.  But look at a photograph of a crowd at a baseball game in say, 1965, and then in 1968.  Everything changed, and rapidly.   

Ronald Reagan was governor of California during that time, and thank God, became President after the tumultuous decade or so that followed, so that Gorbachev had to deal with him, and not Jimmy Carter.

This is not the right place for this discussion so I will refrain from further comment.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #543 on: August 31, 2022, 11:08:15 pm »
@Gefn

@sneakypete

I just remember sitting on my couch watching Reagan and Gorbachev tearing down the wall, and thinking Gorbachev was off of the good ones.

He shall be missed.

P.S. I really enjoyed the history lesson. I didn’t really get into modern  politics until the 92 election…..

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #544 on: August 31, 2022, 11:12:19 pm »
This is not the right place for this discussion so I will refrain from further comment.
Yeah, I could throw some East Coast southern observations in there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #545 on: August 31, 2022, 11:15:29 pm »

There is plenty I could say as well.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #546 on: August 31, 2022, 11:18:03 pm »

@Bigun

JFK or LBJ.

One was a borderline retard following his the orders of his evil father,and the other was a was a VERY bright guy that dreamed of being a dictator.

Either way,America lost with either one in office.

I am about half-way convinced the DNC saw JFK as being a weak sister,and had his whacked so LBJ could take over.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #547 on: September 01, 2022, 12:37:59 am »

Like what? That the South used to be the home of Democrat racists? It was. It isn't any more. The racists are now all up here, sadly.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online libertybele

« Reply #548 on: September 01, 2022, 12:51:20 am »
@Bigun

JFK or LBJ.

One was a borderline retard following his the orders of his evil father,and the other was a was a VERY bright guy that dreamed of being a dictator.

Either way,America lost with either one in office.

I am about half-way convinced the DNC saw JFK as being a weak sister,and had his whacked so LBJ could take over.

I thought that, that information had been released??  Wasn't the information supposed to be made public after 50 years???
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #549 on: September 01, 2022, 01:52:52 am »
Like what? That the South used to be the home of Democrat racists? It was. It isn't any more. The racists are now all up here, sadly.
That wasn't where I was going, but since you stepped there, there were a shitload of Yankee racists, too.
I recall our schools had been integrated for seven years at the howling behest of sanctimonious Yankees who were still burning buses in Boston the year I graduated from High School so their kids wouldn't have to go to school with "those people".

Typical Northeastern Liberals, they wanted to make rules for everyone else to live by, but weren't so good at following their rules for everyone else. Well, that hasn't changed.

Funny thing, the Northeastern Media outlets were the ones who constantly pushed the idea of Southern=Prejudiced (among other stereotypes), and to be sure, there was some of that (every stereotype contains some small grain of truth), but the first year our schools were integrated, it was a black student, a guy I knew, had played with and worked with on the farm side by side, who refused to "learn with him", pointing at me. There were two sixth grade classes that year, and he went to the other. Both had black teachers. My sixth grade teacher is one I rank among my all time great teachers.
My parents were Republican, as were many of the folks I knew, even if Lincoln was still regarded as an invader.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis