Author Topic: Obituaries for 2022  (Read 64982 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2022
« Reply #450 on: July 31, 2022, 07:57:38 pm »
Of the main characters in the crew, I believe that is correct.

And the minor ones too. Grace Whitney and Mrs Roddenberry are also gone as the original actor who played Captain Pike, and of course Ricardo Montalban
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:59:08 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #451 on: July 31, 2022, 08:00:30 pm »
And the minor ones too. Grace Whitney and Mrs Roddenberry are also gone as the original actor who played Captain Pike, and of course Ricardo Montalban

Yeah I know there aren't many left. Expected but still sad.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #452 on: July 31, 2022, 08:55:38 pm »
Star Trek Actress Nichelle Nichols Passes Away Aged 89
Nichelle Nichols passed away from natural causes last night, her son has revealed.
By Rhiannon Bevan
Published 25 minutes ago

Nichelle Nichols, best known for her performance as Nyota Uhura in Star Trek: The Original Series has passed away, aged 89. The news was just revealed by her son, Kyle Johnson, who says that she passed away from natural causes last night.

"I regret to inform you that a great light in the firmament no longer shines for us as it has for so many years", writes Johnson on his mother's Instagram account. "Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away. Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration." ... More at The Gamer

@mountaineer

I gotta admit,it came as a shock to me that she was 89.

Suddenly,I feel old.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #453 on: July 31, 2022, 09:18:15 pm »
Who’s left from TOS?

Kirk, Chekhov, and Sulu?

I really like Konig.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #454 on: July 31, 2022, 09:27:51 pm »
I really like Konig.

I don't know if you watched Babylon 5, but he played psy-cop chief Bester. There aren't many characters I've seen over the years that creeped me out, but his did. Koenig played him to the hilt.

Nichols never did much beyond ST. Then again I guess she didn't have to, she was set for life. RIP.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #455 on: July 31, 2022, 09:37:31 pm »
I don't know if you watched Babylon 5, but he played psy-cop chief Bester. There aren't many characters I've seen over the years that creeped me out, but his did. Koenig played him to the hilt.

Nichols never did much beyond ST. Then again I guess she didn't have to, she was set for life. RIP.

@Free Vulcan

Then again,there weren't many roles available for black women back in the ironically named days of "black and white tv".

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #456 on: July 31, 2022, 09:44:29 pm »
@Free Vulcan

Then again,there weren't many roles available for black women back in the ironically named days of "black and white tv".

Even when older, and things opened up more I didn't see her alot. Her IMDB says she was active, just not so much in TV/film.

Looks like she did alot of voice v. onscreen. Her career was pretty patchwork after STVI. Who knows, maybe she had a crappy manager.
The Republic is lost.

Offline verga

« Reply #457 on: July 31, 2022, 09:56:21 pm »
Nichelle Nichols passed away from natural causes last night, her son has revealed.
By Rhiannon Bevan
Published 25 minutes ago

Nichelle Nichols, best known for her performance as Nyota Uhura in Star Trek: The Original Series has passed away, aged 89. The news was just revealed by her son, Kyle Johnson, who says that she passed away from natural causes last night.

"I regret to inform you that a great light in the firmament no longer shines for us as it has for so many years", writes Johnson on his mother's Instagram account. "Last night, my mother, Nichelle Nichols, succumbed to natural causes and passed away. Her light however, like the ancient galaxies now being seen for the first time, will remain for us and future generations to enjoy, learn from, and draw inspiration." ... More at The Gamer

D@MN just D@MN, One of my early crushes.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #458 on: July 31, 2022, 09:56:29 pm »
Even when older, and things opened up more I didn't see her alot. Her IMDB says she was active, just not so much in TV/film.

Looks like she did alot of voice v. onscreen. Her career was pretty patchwork after STVI. Who knows, maybe she had a crappy manager.

@Free Vulcan

Or maybe she just wanted to stay home and focus on her family,and with the residuals coming in from her tv role,she could afford to do that?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #459 on: July 31, 2022, 10:04:07 pm »
One of my first thoughts about Bill Russell's passing was, "Now that is a champion. Sit down and shut up, LeBron."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

« Reply #460 on: July 31, 2022, 10:12:10 pm »
D@MN just D@MN, One of my early crushes.

Nope. MaryAnn filled my head. The only possible also rans were Jeanie and Ellie May...

Until Heather Locklear. showed up on the Fall Guy... And also Daisy Duke... And then... nothing.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #461 on: July 31, 2022, 10:20:40 pm »

It seems strange, because of all the actors on that show, Nichols was arguably the one who had the least potential to be typecast as some oddball character.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2022, 10:22:03 pm »
Nope. MaryAnn filled my head. The only possible also rans were Jeanie and Ellie May...

Until Heather Locklear. showed up on the Fall Guy... And also Daisy Duke... And then... nothing.
Obviously you never saw the costume she wore in TOS Mirror Mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npMnGFyohB8
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #463 on: July 31, 2022, 10:37:18 pm »
Obviously you never saw the costume she wore in TOS Mirror Mirror.

Meh... Too urbane for me And not enough to be fantasy.  :whistle:

You'll have to go a long, long way to top MaryAnne. Like I said, all the way to Heather Locklear or Daisy Duke.

And really, just MaryAnne =>Daisy ... That's all she wrote.  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2022, 11:01:31 pm »

Yes, he can really do Gestapo.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #465 on: July 31, 2022, 11:36:53 pm »
Pat Carroll Dies: Veteran Actress Of Stage, TV, Film And Voice Of Ursula In ‘The Little Mermaid’ Was 95

Comedian and actress Pat Carroll, a television pioneer and an Emmy, Drama Desk and Grammy winner, died at her home on Cape Cod, Massachusetts on July 30, while recovering from pnuemonia.

A frequent film actress and television guest star and series regular starting in the late 1940s, her work was seen on the Jimmy Durante Show, The Danny Thomas Show, Laverne & Shirley, ER and many other shows. She voiced Ursula in The Little Mermaid, and voiced several cartoon series.

Patricia Ann Carroll was born May 5, 1927 in Shreveport, Louisiana. Her family moved to Los Angeles when she was five years old, and she soon began acting in local productions. She graduated from Immaculate Heart High Schol and then attended Catholic University of America after enlisting in the US Army.

Carroll’s acting career started in 1947 with the film Hometown Girl. In 1956, Carroll won an Emmy Award for her work on Sid Caesar’s House, and was a regular on the sitcom Make Room for Daddy from 1961 to 1964.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/pat-carroll-dead-voice-of-ursula-in-the-little-mermaid-was-95-1235081904/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #466 on: July 31, 2022, 11:38:06 pm »
This is two today.

I don’t want to think who three will be….

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #467 on: July 31, 2022, 11:39:41 pm »
Pat Carroll Dies: Veteran Actress Of Stage, TV, Film And Voice Of Ursula In ‘The Little Mermaid’ Was 95

https://deadline.com/2022/07/pat-carroll-dead-voice-of-ursula-in-the-little-mermaid-was-95-1235081904/

@Gefn

Sounds like she lived a long,happy,fruitful life. I'm happy for her.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #468 on: July 31, 2022, 11:41:38 pm »
@Gefn

Sounds like she lived a long,happy,fruitful life. I'm happy for her.

Me too. Longevity without health seems to be the pits to me
@sneakypete

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #469 on: August 01, 2022, 08:19:01 am »
By Rhiannon Bevan
Published 25 minutes ago

Sad. She was a real trailblazer.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #470 on: August 01, 2022, 11:33:59 am »
Samuel Sandoval, among last Navajo Code Talkers, dead at 98

By Anders Hagstrom, Fox News
August 1, 2022

Samuel Sandoval, one of the last members of the Navajo Code Talkers who encrypted critical U.S. messages during World War II, has died at 98.

Navajo Code Talkers famously used language based on the Navajo Nation’s native tongue to transmit messages regarding Japanese troop placements and movements during U.S. Marine assaults throughout the Pacific. The Navajo language was unwritten at the time and U.S. enemies had virtually no means of deciphering the code.

Sandoval was among four remaining code talkers still alive today, from the hundreds who had been recruited during the war. The three others who are living include Peter MacDonald, John Kinsel Sr. and Thomas H. Begay.

Sandoval’s wife, Malula, announced his death to the Associated Press on Saturday. He died at a hospital near his home in New Mexico.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/08/01/samuel-sandoval-among-last-navajo-code-talkers-dies-at-98/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #471 on: August 01, 2022, 02:47:32 pm »
Samuel Sandoval, among last Navajo Code Talkers, dead at 98

@Kamaji

You just KNOW these guys had the heads of the Japanese intel people exploding as they tried to figure out what the HELL it was they were listening to.

Offline verga

« Reply #472 on: August 01, 2022, 04:04:05 pm »
@Kamaji

You just KNOW these guys had the heads of the Japanese intel people exploding as they tried to figure out what the HELL it was they were listening to.
They were part of the last generation to be willing to stand up and say "Here I am, use me!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #473 on: August 01, 2022, 04:13:22 pm »
They were part of the last generation to be willing to stand up and say "Here I am, use me!"

@verga

Not true. There was no shortage of volunteers during the VN war,or any war since then.

Even the women who join today understand that even though they supposedly have "non-combatant" roles as support people,in today's conflicts support personnel end up going into combat damn near as often as the infantry.

There is no such thing as "behind the battle lines" in todays wars.

Offline verga

« Reply #474 on: August 01, 2022, 04:54:06 pm »
@verga

Not true. There was no shortage of volunteers during the VN war,or any war since then.

Even the women who join today understand that even though they supposedly have "non-combatant" roles as support people,in today's conflicts support personnel end up going into combat damn near as often as the infantry.

There is no such thing as "behind the battle lines" in todays wars.
Gotta disagree. Was speaking with my daughter last week. Moral is down, way down and attrition is way up. Her rotation was supposed to be 90 days. Was extended to 120 days. He CO told them that normally they would have 9 months between rotations it will probably be dropped to 6 months, simply because they don't have enough troops to maintain battle readiness. She had originally planned on being a lifer, not is considering leaving after her 5 year contract, unless they send her to OCS.