Author Topic: Washington State Democrats Push Bill Reducing Penalties for Drive-By Shootings  (Read 1087 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Washington State Democrats Push Bill Reducing Penalties for Drive-By Shootings

AWR Hawkins 29 Dec 2021

Washington state Reps. Tarra Simmons (D) and David Hackney (D) are pushing legislation to remove drive-by shootings from the list of crimes that elevate first degree to murder to a higher degree of murder carrying a mandatory life sentence.

FOX News reports that “drive-by shootings were added to the list of aggravating factors for murder charges in 1995.” At the time, drive-by shootings were one of a number of crimes that would elevate charges and Simmons and Hackney are now working to remove such shootings from the list.

The 1995 language that Simmons and Hackney want to specifically strike from the aggravating factors list says: “The murder was committed during the course of or as a result of a shooting where the discharge of the firearm… is either from a motor vehicle or from the immediate area of a motor vehicle that was used to transport the shooter or the firearm.”

Simmons says she believes the language surrounding drive-by shootings “was targeted at gangs that were predominantly young and Black.”

She added, “I believe in a society that believes in the power of redemption. Murder is murder no matter where the bullet comes from but locking young people up and throwing away the key is not the answer.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/12/29/washington-state-democrats-push-bill-reducing-penalties-for-drive-by-shootings/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Offline DefiantMassRINO

What if the perps were driving an internal combustion engine vehicle?  Could they be charged with Felonious Assault Upon Mother Gaia?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Simmons says she believes the language surrounding drive-by shootings “was targeted at gangs that were predominantly young and Black.”

Post the last 3 times old white men comitted drive-by shootings where you live.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
What if the perps were driving an internal combustion engine vehicle?  Could they be charged with Felonious Assault Upon Mother Gaia?
Were they wearing masks? Did they have their 'vaccination passports'?
Forget about the everyday random murders, these are the issues Democrats really care about.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Please take 10 seconds and read this post I put up here last year:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,407004.msg2241037.html#msg2241037

Offline mountaineer

UPDATE.
The hits keep coming. Washington state lawmaker Tarra Simmons, a convicted felon who spent years in prison for theft, drug and firearm crimes, has sponsored a new bill that would give judges the power to unilaterally reduce sentences for criminals.
Dec 26, 2023
Washington lawmaker, convicted felon proposes bill to let judges reduce sentences for violent offenders
Judges would have clemency powers to unilaterally reduce sentences for violent offenders years later, even if the facts of a case have not changed.
Ari Hoffman
The Post Millennial

A bill has been pre-filed for the upcoming session of the Washington State Legislature that would give judges clemency powers so they could unilaterally decide to reduce sentences for violent offenders years later, even if the facts of a case have not changed.

One of the sponsors of the legislation is Democratic Rep. Tarra Simmons, a former convict who has previously worked to restore voting rights to those convicted of felonies and to reduce penalties for drive-by shootings to promote "racial equity," even as the state has grappled with a spike in crime and record homicides.

Simmons is also the co-founder/director of the Civil Survival Project, which advocates for former convicts. ...

If enacted, the “Judicial Discretion Act” would allow judges to modify “...sentences in the interests of justice.” ...
Text of the proposed bill here: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2023-24/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/2001.pdf?q=20231221172702
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org