Author Topic: Your 2021 holiday dinner political survival guide By Jonathan Turley  (Read 87 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Your 2021 holiday dinner political survival guide
By Jonathan Turley, opinion contributor — 12/25/21 10:30 AM EST

It seems like this Christmas is all Krampus and no St. Nick. People are in a foul mood, and politically it seems every day brings little offerings from the Caga Tió — from failed legislative measures to calls for packing institutions or sacking individuals in righteous indignation.

Indeed, if you expect your holiday events are going to be an emotional powder keg, just think of dinner for Justice Sonia Sotomayor with the three newest justices after she said a “stench” of politics followed them to the Court. Then there is the happy gathering of the Democrats with senators like Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) after the White House basically called him a liar, and other members called him the killer of democracy for refusing to support the Build Back Better bill (BBB). Of course, the Republicans have a former president who hates the majority leader and house members who are seeking to sanction each other.

Welcome to Christmas 2021, our hair-triggered holiday season.

It is not surprising, therefore, to read the recent Quinnipiac University poll, which found a universal fear of holiday fireworks over political divisions. Some 66 percent of adults are hoping to avoid any discussion of politics. The problem is that 21 percent say that they are “looking forward” to ​hashing out political differences. That means that even with eight guests struggling to stay on football and fashion, two guests will be actively trying to steer the conversation onto immigration and insurrection.

That means that you have to be prepared.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/587078-your-2021-holiday-dinner-political-survival-guide
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Re: Your 2021 holiday dinner political survival guide By Jonathan Turley
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 06:47:37 pm »
I broke my own personal law about not popping off about politics over holidays this last Thanksgiving when my liberal stepdaughter started opining about Rittenhouse.
We were watching the news on tv about the Arbery and Rittenhouse cases.
I said it appears the juries got it right in both cases. My stepdaughter said she couldn't figure out how Rittenhouse could be innocent. I disagreed. We both stopped the conversation there.
She has a habit of mouthing off about politics knowing the wife and I are both conservatives. That was the only time I ever did that since I don't want my wife to not be able to see her grandkids over something I've said.
So over the last twenty years I've had to bite my tongue numerous times when listening to my liberal stepdaughters rant about politics in our presences. But not that time. I just couldn't listen to her without putting in a few of my own words.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Your 2021 holiday dinner political survival guide By Jonathan Turley
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 06:54:48 pm »
When people become estranged from loved ones, the "reason" is rarely the real reason.
Countdown to Resignation