Author Topic: The amazing grace of Christmas morn (Wesley Pruden)  (Read 301 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The amazing grace of Christmas morn (Wesley Pruden)
« on: December 25, 2021, 03:04:39 pm »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/22/the-amazing-grace-of-christmas-morn-120493593/

The amazing grace of Christmas morn
Reprinted from an earlier Christmas

By Wesley Pruden
12/22/2016

The malls and the Main Streets will fall silent. The ringing cash registers and the happy cries of children are but ghostly echoes across the silent cities. But the Christ child born in a manger 2,000 years ago lives, liberating the hearts of sinners and transforming the lives of the wicked.

The story of the redeeming power of the Christmas message is nowhere more vividly illustrated than in the incredible life of an English slaver named John Newton.

He was born 300 years ago into a seafaring family in Liverpool. His mother was a godly woman whose faith gave her life meaning. She died when John was 7, and as an old man he recalled as the sweetest remembrance of childhood the soft and tender voice of his mother at prayer.

His father married again, and John left school at 11 to go to sea with him. He quickly adopted the vulgar life of seafaring men, though the memory of his mothers faith remained. He reckoned that religious faith was important, he recalled many years later, “but I loved sin.” Once on shore leave, he was seized by a press gang to work on another ship, HMS Harwich, and life grew coarser. He ran away, was captured, put in chains, stripped before the mast and flogged without mercy. “The Lord had by all appearances given me up to judicial hardness. I was capable of anything. I had not the least fear of God, nor the least sensibility of conscience. I was firmly persuaded that after death I should merely cease to be.”

The Harwich traded him to a slaving ship, bound for West Africa to take aboard human cargo. “At this period of my life,” John reflected, “I was big with mischief and, like one afflicted with a pestilence, was capable of spreading a taint wherever I went.”
Five years passed, and the captain returned. John told how he had been treated and he was mocked as a liar. When he was finally taken aboard HMS Harwich again, he was treated ever harshly, allowed to eat only the entrails of animals butchered for the crews mess. “The voyage quite broke my constitution,” he would recall, “and the effects would always remain with me as a needful memento of the wages of sin.”

Like Job, he became a magnet for adversity. His ship crashed against the rocks, and he despaired that Gods mercy remained after his life of hostile indifference to the Gospel. “During the time I was engaged in the slave trade,” he said, “I never had the least scruple to its lawfulness.”

The wanton sinner, the arrogant blasphemer, the mocker of the faith of others was at last driven to his knees: “My prayer was like the cry of ravens, which yet the Lord does not disdain to hear.” Miraculously, he was rescued, and arrived back in London to reflect on the mercies God had shown him despite his awful life. He fell under the preaching of George Whitefield and the influence of John Wesley, and was born again into the new life in Christ.

Full essay at URL above...

Written by the late Wesley Pruden some years ago, I read this every Christmas morning...