Author Topic: The Dow is tumbling and Nasdaq nears correction because stock investors don’t see a Christmas rally  (Read 246 times)

Offline libertybele

The Dow is tumbling and Nasdaq nears correction because stock investors don’t see a Christmas rally coming

There is a pervading sense on Wall Street that there may be little this week to counter an onslaught of selling ahead of Christmas.

Markets were trading sharply lower Monday to start a truncated week of trading, a period that is notoriously known for thin volumes, which can lead to outsize price swings.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA was down more than 600 points, the S&P 500 index SPX was off 1.7% and the Nasdaq Composite Index COMP was trading 1.6% lower bringing it down over 7% from its Nov. 19 record close and putting it in range to mark a 10% correction.

Concerns around the spread of omicron and further COVID lockdowns and new travel restrictions in parts of the world, however, were raising concerns that the market might be headed for a particularly downbeat trading stretch, with little support expected from monetary policy nor fiscal support from the government on the way soon.

Lending some support to that notion, President Joe Biden’s nearly $2 trillion spending plan was in dire straits after Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., said on Sunday that he cannot support it—potentially handing Biden and Democrats a major political loss and creating doubts about the degree of fiscal stimulus that the economy and markets could see headed in to 2022. ............

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-dow-is-plunging-and-nasdaq-nears-correction-because-stock-market-investors-dont-see-a-christmas-calvary-coming-to-the-rescue-11640017260?mod=home-page
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

I can't help but wonder how much of the recent fluctuation is due to day traders trying to make profits.

Offline libertybele

I can't help but wonder how much of the recent fluctuation is due to day traders trying to make profits.

Perhaps, but I think it has to do with several things; shipping issues, vaccine mandates, Joe's threats of winter deaths, etc. None exactly instills any confidence in our economy.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

Perhaps the stock market is overvalued due to the government printing up money for the past 13 years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I think we could be at a major top, and I don't think January will be pretty.

Don't be distracted by all the smoke - this market is just simply overbought and needs a good 25%+ correction.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

I think we could be at a major top, and I don't think January will be pretty.

Don't be distracted by all the smoke - this market is just simply overbought and needs a good 25%+ correction.

Sure the market may be overbought and a correction may be warranted, but with rising inflation, loss of energy independence, vaccine mandates, threat of lockdowns, and Joe's increasing unpopularity, I believe accounts for some of the decline.  Consumer confidence is gone. Let's Go Brandon, is being chanted from coast to coast for a reason.