Author Topic: The Government Is Your Car’s Next Passenger  (Read 188 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Government Is Your Car’s Next Passenger
« on: December 15, 2021, 06:10:44 pm »
 The Government Is Your Car’s Next Passenger
The infrastructure bill will require impaired driving technology in all new vehicles.
by Sarah Montalbano
December 15, 2021, 12:00 AM

Politicians have already cashed in on the infrastructure bill victory, but Americans will eventually suffer the consequences of today’s virtue-signaling. In a few short years, the government may be an omnipresent passenger in every new car.

The 2,000-page infrastructure bill, signed into law a few weeks ago, includes a mandate that newly manufactured cars keep a digital eye on their drivers — and figure out whether or not they’re in any condition to drive. This certainly sounds well-intentioned, but as lamentable as drunk-driving deaths are, mandating technology that has yet to be invented raises serious practical and privacy concerns.

Section 24220 of the law, titled Advanced Impaired Driving Technology, directs the secretary of transportation to issue a rule within three years requiring advanced impaired driving technology in all new vehicles, although the rule may be delayed if the technology is not ready for implementation. Automakers have up to three years after the rule is issued to comply.

Automakers may become unwilling accomplices to massive surveillance, but chances are, they will be as eager as Amazon was to give law enforcement easy access to video footage.

Despite potentially affecting all vehicles as soon as 2026, the text of the law is surprisingly vague. All we know is that it would require that the technology “passively and accurately detect” blood alcohol concentration greater than allowable limits or, more concerning, “passively monitor the performance of a driver” to determine impairment. If impairment is detected, the technology must “prevent or limit” the operation of the vehicle. Though drunk driving is one obvious meaning of the law, impairment encompasses a broad range of behaviors: for example, being overly drowsy, intoxicated by marijuana or other substances, being distracted, eating, or using a cell phone. Obviously, no one should be driving in any of these states. The question is, what does a technology capable of preventing this look like?

more
https://spectator.org/government-car-monitoring/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: The Government Is Your Car’s Next Passenger
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 07:26:33 pm »
Automakers may become unwilling accomplices to massive surveillance, but chances are, they will be as eager as Amazon was to give law enforcement easy access to video footage.

Not a chance when it involves their drunk/impaired driving and accidents, suddenly it will be protected due to national security. It will only be the proletariat that will be subject to having big brother as a copilot narc.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 07:33:09 pm »
Those older cars are looking more and more attractive!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 11:07:36 pm »
Used cars free of these technological "advances" are going to sell for considerably more than new ones...

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2021, 11:15:28 pm »
Used cars free of these technological "advances" are going to sell for considerably more than new ones...

LOL!  If an EMP wave weapon can wipe out all electronics, it would stand to reason the only
people driving on the roads are going to have "Plugs, points and condensers" under the hood.

100K Tesla would make one expensive lawn ornament.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 12:54:53 pm »
Those older cars are looking more and more attractive!
I wish I still had my 1971 Plymouth Duster!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 02:10:43 pm »
I wish I still had my 1971 Plymouth Duster!

@mountaineer

And I my 1971 Plymouth Scamp.

Was yours the 318 or the 226?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 02:20:24 pm »
Was yours the 318 or the 226?
As I recall, it was the base coupe, 198 cu. in., slant 6.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 02:28:11 pm »
As I recall, it was the base coupe, 198 cu. in., slant 6.

That's right, they did make the slant 6 in several different displacements.  Mine was the 225 Slant 6.  I just checked online, and the original Slant 6 was 170 CID displacement.

Other than the 225 Slant 6, mine was pretty base line, too.  But it was a good investment in 1984 for a young kid still in high school.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 02:57:01 pm »
With all the news of carmakers unable to obtain computer chips from China, it's hard not to long for the good ol' simple cars, where "electronics" pretty much meant the radio, and a moderately handy person could change the oil easily (which I did all the time as a college girl). There was so much room under the hood of my Duster, they could have fit another engine in there.  :shrug: