Author Topic: New York City unemployment keeps getting worse  (Read 150 times)

Offline Kamaji

New York City unemployment keeps getting worse
« on: December 15, 2021, 02:31:37 pm »
Go figure.  I can confirm that subway ridership is still down.  Pre-lockdowns, when I would take the subway in the evenings to go home, the platform was usually packed, and the train car was almost always at sardine-tin levels.  Now, however, I have yet to ride on a train where I didn't have more than enough elbow room and to spare, even at 5pm or 6pm on a weekday.

New York City is a jobs killer. Gotham now ranks near dead last in the country for its jobs recovery during the pandemic. America’s already regained 90 percent of its lost jobs — New York City, just six in 10. Unemployment is double the national average. And it gets worse: Many New Yorkers are leaving the workforce for good.

It’s time to get back to normal before it’s too late.

The pandemic took a big bite out of the Big Apple. The city lost 1 million jobs last year. Thousands of businesses closed their doors. And New York state as a whole was hardly better, with the worst employment deficits in the country. People-facing industries — from Broadway to hotels and retail — suffered the most. The rate of New Yorkers fleeing the city for good more than tripled on net during the pandemic.

By some measures, the city’s bouncing back. Rents are already back to pre-pandemic levels. Maybe the sidewalks seem more crowded. But the numbers don’t lie: Foot traffic is still low — among the lowest of any big city here or abroad — while subway ridership is a fraction of what it once was.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2021/12/14/new-york-city-unemployment-keeps-getting-worse/