Author Topic: California Pushes Composting to Lower Food Waste Emissions  (Read 399 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
California Pushes Composting to Lower Food Waste Emissions
« on: December 10, 2021, 01:53:13 pm »
U. S. News By KATHLEEN RONAYNE 12/9/2021

Food waste is California's next target as the state seeks to lower greenhouse gas emissions that cause climate change.

Banana peels, chicken bones and leftover veggies won't have a place in California trashcans under the nation's largest mandatory residential food waste recycling program that's set to take effect in January.

The effort is designed to keep landfills in the most populous U.S. state clear of food waste that damages the atmosphere as it decays. When food scraps and other organic materials break down they emit methane, a greenhouse gas more potent and damaging in the short-term than carbon emissions from fossil fuels.

To avoid those emissions, California plans to start converting residents' food waste into compost or energy, becoming the second state in the U.S. to do so after Vermont launched a similar program last year.

Most people in California will be required to toss excess food into green waste bins rather than the trash. Municipalities will then turn the food waste into compost or use it to create biogas, an energy source that is similar to natural gas.

“This is the biggest change to trash since recycling started in the 1980s,” said Rachel Wagoner, director of the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery.

She added that it "is the single easiest and fastest thing that every single person can do to affect climate change.”

The push by California reflects growing recognition about the role food waste plays in damaging the environment across the United States, where up to 40% of food is wasted, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

More: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/california/articles/2021-12-09/food-waste-becomes-californias-newest-climate-change-target

Offline Kamaji

Re: California Pushes Composting to Lower Food Waste Emissions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 02:06:37 pm »
Uhhh, I may not have the greenest thumb in the greenhouse, but isn't compost made by allowing organic matter - e.g., food waste - to rot?  So how is composting food waste going to cut down on the production of methane from the rotting process?

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 02:52:02 pm »
How does this reduce emmissions?  They are just composting somewhere else.  Plus, what about all the fuel inputs necessary to transport it to a central industrial composting facility?

It sounds like a plan that increases costs to citizens with dubious benefit.

Community gardens would love to take that food compost material for free.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 04:02:12 pm »
Well... If everybody still had chickens and pigs... Just sayin. Turn food waste into bacon and hot wings. A direct 1 to 1 conversion...

See city folks.... Rednecks have it right. It is undeniable.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 10:47:55 pm »
Vermont has had a law requiring residents to separate "compostable" food waste in their garbage for a while now.

I reckon we'll see it adapted by all the blue states in relatively short order.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 02:38:36 pm »
Vermont has had a law requiring residents to separate "compostable" food waste in their garbage for a while now.

I reckon we'll see it adapted by all the blue states in relatively short order.
That's fine.  They can all go to shit
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington