Author Topic: ‘I Wake Up Shaking’ — The Moral Injury of the Afghanistan Withdrawal  (Read 65 times)

rangerrebew

‘I Wake Up Shaking’ — The Moral Injury of the Afghanistan Withdrawal
Vets   

By Hannah Ray Lambert | November 22, 2021

Air Force special operations veteran Travis Peterson wakes up shaking every morning. He dreads looking at his phone and seeing the updates from the men who served in Afghanistan’s elite Special Mission Wing — men who put their lives on the line for Peterson more times than he can count, who fought until the very end as other military units fled, and who are now being hunted by the Taliban. They are on the run, starving, and desperately awaiting news that their American allies might soon rescue them.

“They would put their lives in front of mine every day, even to this day. Even though I promised them that I’m going to get them out, you know, and …” Peterson’s voice trailed off. Then the former combat aviation adviser for 6th Special Operations Squadron sighed and said, “They’ll never give up faith in us.”

But he is haunted by the thought that his country gave up faith in them. And he’s not alone. Veterans’ groups say a mental health crisis is closing in on the countless veterans and volunteers working night and day to save their Afghan counterparts.

https://coffeeordie.com/moral-injury-afghanistan-withdrawal/