Author Topic: 18 Democrats Will Abandon the House — More than Triple GOP Needs to Win Back Majority  (Read 327 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
18 Democrats Will Abandon the House — More than Triple GOP Needs to Win Back Majority

Jacob Bliss 29 Nov 2021

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) ambitions of keeping the Democrat majority in the House of Representatives past the midterm elections next year are dwindling as droves of vulnerable Democrats have announced they are leaving their current seats to either retire or seek a different office instead of fighting in a brutal reelection.

Republicans only need to net five seats to pick up the House majority after the midterms. So far, more than triple the amount of Democrats (18 total) have decided to officially call it quits on the House and have left their seats open for a fight, giving Republicans a chance to gain another seat since House Republicans only need to net five seats to gain the majority and retire Pelosi as Speaker.

Vulnerable Democrats will be facing tough reelection battles across the county, having to campaign in districts that more than likely have different lines after redistricting in addition to their having sided with President Joe Biden on many key partisan issues, as his approval numbers after only holding office for ten months have tanked.

This week, vulnerable Democrat Rep. Tom Suozzi (D-NY), a loyal confidant of Pelosi, was the eighteenth House Democrat to announce he will be leaving the House to join the crowded race for New York governor. He will be leaving behind a largely suburban district, which would be tough for Democrats to hold without a strong incumbent. This willl potentially give Republicans a pickup seat in New York because Democrats have struggled to find new candidates willing to run for office.

Suozzi joined the ten Democrats who announced they are retiring from public office after the current term, which expires in January 2023: Reps. Filemon Vela (D-TX) and Ann Kirkpatrick (D-AZ) announced their retirements in March; Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-IL), the former Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) Chairwoman, announced she would not seek reelection in April; scandal-ridden Rep. Ron Kind (D-WI) announced he would be retiring in August; House Budget Committee Chairman Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) announced, along with longtime Reps. David Price (D-NC) and Mike Doyle (D-PA), they would both not be seeking reelection in October; Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA) announced, along with longtime Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-NC) and House Science, Space, and Technology Committee Chairwoman Eddie Bernice Johnson, they would both not seek reelection in November.

Additionally, seven have announced they are running for a different office: Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) announced in April he would be running for the U.S. Senate seat in his home state being vacated by retiring Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH); Rep. Charlie Crist (D-FL) announced in May he is running for governor in Florida, after previously being governor in the state as a Republican from 2007 to 2011; Rep. Val Demings (D-FL) announced in June she would run for a U.S. Senate seat in the Sunshine State; Rep. Conor Lamb (D-PA) announced in August, he would be running for the U.S. Senate seat in his home state being vacated by retiring Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA); Rep. Karen Bass (D-CA) announced in September her candidacy for the Los Angeles mayoral race to replace outgoing Mayor Eric Garcetti (D); Rep. Anthony Brown (D-MD) announced in October he would run for Maryland Attorney General; and Rep. Peter Welch (D-VT) announced in November he would be running for the U.S. Senate seat in his home state being vacated by retiring Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT).

With the news of retirements and members seeking other offices, there is rumored to be more from Democrats abandoning ship in the coming months leading up to the election. In addition, there have been reports of Pelosi herself contemplating leaving elected office.

Mike Berg, the spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, which is in charge of helping Republican incumbents and winning back the House majority, told Breitbart News exclusively that “Nobody wants to run as a House Democrat this cycle because all Democrats’ majority has given the American people is higher prices, skyrocketing crime, and open borders.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/11/29/18-democrats-will-abandon-the-house-more-than-triple-gop-needs-to-win-back-majority/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Interesting that the DEMS are abandoning ship. I really hope that the GOP can fill those seats with some much needed conservatives.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Interesting that the DEMS are abandoning ship. I really hope that the GOP can fill those seats with some much needed conservatives.

I agree with you 100%, but it won't happen if the Pubs in the Senate make a deal on the debt limit and the Rats then are able to use reconciliation to pass bidens "build back better". Why vote for Pubs that surrender when it's time to fight.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I agree with you 100%, but it won't happen if the Pubs in the Senate make a deal on the debt limit and the Rats then are able to use reconciliation to pass bidens "build back better". Why vote for Pubs that surrender when it's time to fight.

I think you're right @bilo   ---- The GOP is so out of touch with their voters they can't even see this possibility.  They can't feel the growing anger --- at them.  **nononono*

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Columbia Bugle
@ColumbiaBugle

Biden weaponized the federal government against conservatives but Republicans are still treating him with kid gloves.

Shut down the government to stop the tyrannical mandates. Shut down the government to stop it from drafting women. Stop the government to save your voters, @GOP
11:43 PM · Nov 29, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Offline Polly Ticks

It probably depends on the seat/district. I can guarantee that the seat that John Yarmuth (KY-3) is leaving will be filled with another Democrat and it won't even be close.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

There is a whole lot of damage still to be done by the Nancy majority during the next 400 days
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Killer Clouds

It doesn't matter who is retiring. Conservatives need to campaign like they are losing but still have a chance. Don't take anything for granted.

Offline Polly Ticks

It doesn't matter who is retiring. Conservatives need to campaign like they are losing but still have a chance. Don't take anything for granted.

Campaigning is good for purposes of drawing comparisons if nothing else. But if we're counting on KY-3 flipping to take the House we're screwed.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline bilo

I think you're right @bilo   ---- The GOP is so out of touch with their voters they can't even see this possibility.  They can't feel the growing anger --- at them.  **nononono*

In the end this failure to represent the non-elites will lead us to a separation. We have two competing ideas of the role of govt., and it is always our view that is supposed to compromise to maintain civility. I'm done with the compromise garbage and any pols who support it won't get my support.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Slide Rule

Mentioned in the article is Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH) who will try to replace RINO SEN Rob Portman (R-OH)

Portman is a lost cause and uses the dem voting guides more often than someone sporting Dem label.

I haven't voted for Portman for quite some time.
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline mountaineer

Rep. Charlie Crist (D-FL) announced in May he is running for governor in Florida, after previously being governor in the state as a Republican from 2007 to 2011
Tweeted by @JohnCardillo:

On the left: $1.2 billion convicted Ponzi scheme mastermind, Scott Rothstein.

They went everywhere together. Crist lived like a billionaire off stolen money. This was taken at the height of Rothstein’s fraud.

“Scott, you’re amazing!
Charlie Crist”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org