Author Topic: Wanna sell ME a new Cell Phone,offer one with FEWER features  (Read 1181 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wanna sell ME a new Cell Phone,offer one with FEWER features
« on: November 28, 2021, 05:28:51 pm »
Am I the only one tired of even the basic cell phones of today downloading new features you don't want,don't want to use,and don't even have any interest in learning how to use them?

If *I* want to watch a freaking movie,I am going to do it on my 58 inch plasma tv,not my damn cell phone!

I do NOT want to be enrolled in programs I did NOT ask to enroll in.

I want MY cell phone to make telephone calls,and send texts. That's pretty much it for over the air. I do want to be able to use the calculator and the trip directions options,and don't object to a news page if it is MY option to watch it and there are NO freaking videos in it.

I bought a new cell phone about a year ago,and the phone I have today is barely recognizable as the same phone due to all the automatic updates,NONE of which I asked for. Hell,my damn phone has decided I no longer want to speak to some of my friends,and refuses to allow me to answer the phone when they call. I have to wait until they hang up,and then call them back.

Trust me,if I could get my hands on the goober responsible for THAT one,bad things would happen to them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 06:25:47 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Re: Wanna sell ME a new Cell Phone,offer one with FEWER features
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 05:36:17 pm »
You’re not the only one. I want a phone for calls, photos and texting. That’s it.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 06:31:30 pm »
You’re not the only one. I want a phone for calls, photos and texting. That’s it.

I agree:  that's all that should come native.  Any other apps (I, for instance like a calculator, satnav, spirit level, an e-mail app for the account I use for commercial transactions, and the Uber app) should be things the owner chooses to install after buying and activating the phone.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:07 pm »
That's why I got this cheap Trak fone from Walmart.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 11:05:54 pm »
That's why I got this cheap Trak fone from Walmart.

@mountaineer

How cheap and what model?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 11:20:00 pm »
I paid about $45 for an LG Stylo4 (no longer available, but they probably have something similar), then paid about $200 for an entire year's service. The photo quality is horrible, but otherwise it's good for phone calls, texting, email and checking the internet. I believe they offer better phones for a higher initial cost.  https://www.tracfone.com/home

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 12:06:37 am »
lol. I still have landline.  No phone to charge or forget....where it is!   Still have robocalls calls, but I fixed the ring option.  One ring..".tell me who you are"...most hang up. 

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 01:15:43 am »
Make Your Own Raspberry Pi Cell Phone

element14 presents

Have you ever wanted to make your very own, custom cell phone? Do you love Linux and wish your phone was more open source? Today, we’re going to see how to make a working prototype cell phone using a Raspberry Pi, an Arduino compatible board, and a GSM module packed into a custom 3D printed case. Connect with DJ and get the B.O.M. on element14: http://bit.ly/2DmANwS Visit element14 Presents: http://bit.ly/2xnzeZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjX7nS3kIao

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 09:40:47 pm »
@sneakypete  I feel the same. I have a landline and only use my cell for emergencies.

I bought a rebuilt phone on Amazon for about $50. I use a prepaid service that costs about $9 a month. Although the phone can get internet service...that is disabled. So no unwanted downloads.

Sadly, if all this 5G crud becomes mandatory...I'll be sol.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 10:48:29 pm »
I have a landline and only use my cell for emergencies.
That's where I am. I have the Trakfone, but rarely turn it on. It's good to have in case of car trouble.

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 08:34:56 pm »
lol. I still have landline.  No phone to charge or forget....where it is!   Still have robocalls calls, but I fixed the ring option.  One ring..".tell me who you are"...most hang up.

I like your answer message better than the variations I have used.  Thanks.

Variations
Not interested in saving money, so Solicitors and Strangers of any kind stop now.

Friends and Relatives can Leave their Name, Number and short request.

We do not reply with persons implying they represent First Energy, Toledo Blade, Microsoft, Charity or other Solicitor.

If you are a friend, family or currently active business associate, leave your Name, your Number and short request.

Around Christmas

Please accept with no obligation, explicit or implied, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, non-judgmental, tolerance embracing, inclusivity enhancing, equality seeking, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious/secular persuasion of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice any religious and/or secular traditions celebrating the birth of Christ.         

Actually, I think it's time to come clean with my friends and admit that I belong to a small religious cult that celebrates the birth of Jesus this week.      
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 08:51:15 pm »
I hardly answer unknown callers, but when I do I only say hello once. If an auto dialer made the call, then the dialer will not detect that a person is on the line by saying a short hello. So I don't hear anything and hang up.