Author Topic: Does Christmas music stress you out? Here’s why  (Read 460 times)

Online libertybele

Does Christmas music stress you out? Here’s why
« on: November 28, 2021, 02:02:52 am »
Interesting. I started my day out early and headed to the store to pick up a few groceries. I turned on my radio and Xmas music was playing on a couple of stations .... though I've started decorating, I just wasn't in the mood for Xmas music, which is unusual for me.

Does Christmas music stress you out? Here’s why

It’s supposed to be "the most wonderful time of the year," but for many people, the holidays are a stressful time.

For some people, that stress can be compounded by the prevalent – and in some cases, inescapable – Christmas music.

Though there hasn’t been any intensive research on the topic, a few surveys in the last decade have found that some portion of Americans don’t really like Christmas music.

An often-cited Consumer Reports survey from 2011 found that 23% of respondents said they dread seasonal music around the holidays.

Meanwhile, a 2017 survey by Soundtrack Your Brand found that 17% of U.S. shoppers dislike Christmas music. That survey also found that 25% of retail staff in both the U.S. and the U.K. combined say that Christmas music makes them feel "less festive," and 16% of retail staff say Christmas music "dampens their emotional well-being," according to the survey.

Elaine Rodino, PhD, who is in private practice in State College, Pennsylvania, told Fox News that music can have a significant impact on people, particularly related to their memories and emotions.

For some people, if they feel stressed out by Christmas music, it might be because the songs remind them of a bad memory or negative experiences from their past, even as far back as their childhoods, Rodino said.

"Music has a way of stirring emotions and memories," Rodino told Fox. "So in terms of Christmas, many people don't have good memories of the holiday. And so it does stir up the not-so-good memories."...........

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/why-christmas-music-stressful
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

Re: Does Christmas music stress you out? Here’s why
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 02:21:44 am »
It doesn't stress me out. I just don't like it, except for what is sung in church.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 03:27:51 am »
No, it doesn't, really.

When I worked retail, the repetitiveness of it all got old fairly quickly, but Christmas music is my guilty pleasure. Especially when it's snowing. Today was a great day for it.

Now, are a few of those songs ones I hate? You bet your sweet bippy. But I also have a few secret weapon songs I slide into the mix—and I don't listen to it all the time.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 03:33:48 am »
A station out of WDC, of all places, has been playing 24/7 "holiday' music for three weeks.

Next year I expect them to start the holiday rotation as part of Labor Dayn weekend.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2021, 04:03:07 am »
Some of it is really quite inspiring. Like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIvOGth0m4
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 05:08:49 am »
Love all Christmas music.  I have a video of continuous fireplace fire....with all kind of Christmas music.   My parents always made Christmas more of a spiritual event, with midnight mass,  meatless Christmas Eve dinner and everybody put on their Sunday clothes.  Candles, all kind of goodies made by Mom.  I LOVE CHRISTMAS.  We got one present.  Normally some clothes.  Underwear.  One toy, when we were younger.  Stories told about their Christmas in Europe. An orange and a handful of nuts.  THAT WAS IT.  oh, and if something dropped on the ground, you could NOT pick it up, as it was 'labor' on a holy day.  The kids would say, 'That orange in the corner is mine!".  "That walnut by table leg,  is mine! " lol. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 05:11:10 am »
Some of it is really quite inspiring. Like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAIvOGth0m4

Nice. Jesus is the reason for the season. 

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 06:04:18 am »
A station out of WDC, of all places, has been playing 24/7 "holiday' music for three weeks.

Next year I expect them to start the holiday rotation as part of Labor Dayn weekend.

There's an FM station in Cincinnati that starts their all Christmas music format on November 1 every year.

If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao